Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Avalokitesvara and Theravada/Mahayana

edited September 2011 in Buddhism Basics
I was recently in Southeast Asia, and noticed the presence of Avalokitesvara in Theravadan temples, such as in Thailand and Cambodia. I was under the impression that this was a Mahayana Boddhisattva? Where does the line cross when it comes to what Theravada accepts and does not accept? I am still a bit confused about this. Any insight would be appreciated.
Also, how do Theravadan's view 'Pure Land' Buddhism, and other Buddha's such as Amitabah and Medicine Buddha, for example? I know the many Mahayana Sutra's are not accepted - but to what degree? Are they seen as "false", or made-up? Or just not applicable to Theravadan Buddhism?

Comments

• lines are drawn by the mind but the heart welcomes all. thus the overlap.
    zscanataman
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited September 2011
    the buddhism in countries such as Thailand & Cambodia was originally Mahayana (from the north) until Theravada took over (from the south-west)

at least in the Bangkok museum, the Avalokitesvara image (below), replicated in Thai monasteries such as Suan Mokkh and Wat U Mong, was found in Thailand

this image is part of the Srivijaya Empire which connected Thailand with Sumatra & Java

if we study Tibetan Buddhism, the Tibetans consided Atisha one of their founders

alot of Atisha's studies were conducted in Java, which is the home of the Borobodur monument

Wikipedia states Borobodur is a Mahayana monument, based on the Lotus Sutra

so, in summary, Buddhism came to South East Asia from the south-west (Sri Lanka & India) and from the north (China)

regards :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Bodhisatta
    edited September 2011
    I know the many Mahayana Sutra's are not accepted - but to what degree? Are they seen as "false", or made-up? Or just not applicable to Theravadan Buddhism?
    many of the Mahayana Sutras are doctrinally different, such as the Heart Sutra, which teaches the sphere of nothingness

many Buddhists, include the Mahayana & some Theravadins, confuse nothingness with emptiness

thus, if a Mahayana Sutra does not describe the way to Buddha realisation via insight & dispassion (destruction of craving) but, instead, is stuck on lesser forms of liberation, such as non-thinking, non-conceptuality, non-duality, the sphere of nothingness, etc, it conflicts with Theravada

worse, if the Mahayana Sutras assert a "True Self" (such as Taiyaki does), they are in total conflict with Buddhism

as for Amitabah, Medicine Buddha, etc, this can fit into Buddhism as more mundane teachings for ordinary devotees

even in the Pali suttas, the Buddha offered scope for devotional practise, where 'faith followers' are liberated via their exchange of love with the Buddha (see the 2nd last paragraph of MN 22)

kind regards :)

• riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited September 2011
    many of the Mahayana Sutras are doctrinally different, such as the Heart Sutra, which teaches the sphere of nothingness

many Buddhists, include the Mahayana & some Theravadins, confuse nothingness with emptiness

thus, if a Mahayana Sutra does not describe the way to Buddha realisation via insight & dispassion (destruction of craving) but, instead, is stuck on lesser forms of liberation, such as non-thinking, non-conceptuality, non-duality, the sphere of nothingness, etc, it conflicts with Theravada
    This needs clarification: the Heart Sutra DOES indeed teach emptiness (sunyata), not "nothingness" or some kind of nihiism. It is actually THE sutra (which is actually part of a massive collection of sutras) that really gets to the heart of the various Mahayana approaches to Buddhism. The Heart Sutra is in fact chanted by many Mahayana schools. It's not called the Heart Sutra for nothing.

Non-thinking, non-conceptuality, non-duality, emptiness are all different aspects of the same "thing", i.e. there is no independently existing self, which, when realised, leads to the the ending of craving. Its just a different approach from Theravada.

• A brief, highly readable commentary on the Heart Sutra, by Thich Nhat Hanh, which I recommend to anyone interested:

The Heart of Understanding: Commentaries on the Prajnaparamita Heart Sutra

http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Understanding-Commentaries-Prajnaparamita-Sutra/dp/0938077112
  • @riverflow

Yup you're on the money.
    edited September 2011
    This needs clarification: the Heart Sutra DOES indeed teach emptiness (sunyata)

Non-thinking, non-conceptuality, non-duality, emptiness are all different aspects of the same "thing", i.e. there is no independently existing self, which, when realised, leads to the the ending of craving. Its just a different approach from Theravada.
    definitely not

the error of the Heart Sutra, which irrefutably proves it teaches the sphere of non-conceptual nothingness, is the Heart Sutra teaches there is no end of suffering

but the end of suffering, Nirvana, is an unconditioned thing

the end of suffering, Nirvana, is independently existent

the Heart Sutra teaches non-labelling

non-labelling is not Nirvana

the Buddha-To-Be rejected such states as Nirvana prior to enlightenment

Dhamma Dhatu's posts never need clarification

but any view that asserts non-thinking, non-conceptuality, non-duality, etc, are emptiness/Nirvana, needs alot of clarification

in short, if Taiyaki agrees with one's view about Nirvana & emptiness, then one is in need of clarification

:D
    edited September 2011
    Thich Nhat Hanh
    TNH is an excellent humane teacher but his Youtube about Nirvana does not accord with the Buddha's definition of it

Nirvana is the end of greed, hatred & delusion rather than the end of thinking & views per se

:)

edited September 2011
    Non-thinking, non-conceptuality, non-duality, emptiness are all different aspects of the same "thing", i.e. there is no independently existing self, which, when realised, leads to the the ending of craving.
    a mind that realises emptiness realises thinking is also empty (of self)

the Buddha taught the five aggregates, which include thinking, are all empty (of self)

the Buddha defined 'emptiness' as 'empty of self & anything belonging to self'

any definition away from this contradicts the Buddha's dhamma

non-thinking, non-conceptuality, non-duality are not emptiness

they are just samadhi (concentration) states of unified consciousness

they are spacing out

• Lol i agree with you too dd. Simple and sweet.
  • I can already see we'd just be talking past each other, DD-- though my real concern is more for others who are new to Buddhism, and mis-representing Mahayana this way could help direct them away from an opportunity to explore the Heart Sutra and Mahayana in general.

To read the Heart Sutra purely on the surface is to miss the point. The Heart Sutra states: There is "no suffering, no origination of suffering, no extinction of suffering, no path; no understanding, no attainment."

Mahayana has to be understood from the Two Truths doctrine (which originated with Nagarjuna? --or at least he helped to formulate it), where the Buddhadharma can be understood from two vantage points: From the ordinary view, we experience dukkha. From the absolute view, we see the delusion that brings dukkha about. Yet neither of these views are correct either-- both must be transcended in the Mahayana view-- which is the main thrust of the Diamond Sutra (part of the "Perfection of Wisdom" sutras). If you don't follow this dialectical movement of affirming and negating Buddhist concepts, it is easy to misunderstand that Mahayana is flat out contradicting the Buddha's teachings.

All this is a very similar approach to the apophatic tradition in Christian mysticism which does not deny that God exists (but it may appear this way if read strictly literally), but rather that God precedes all our notions of "existence" and "non-existence." Like the Two Truths doctrine in Buddhism, it may appear that Christian mystics like Eckhart or Pseudo-Dionysius are flat out atheists, but this is to read them out of context (this is why mystics have generally been distrusted by institutional Christianity-- their statements were always taken out of context!) While the content differs in Buddhism and Christian mysticism, the logic is the same. Its essentially a movement beyond positing "this" or "that," directing the practitioner to the experience of non-duality-- because THE delusion is the belief in duality.

In Mahayana emptiness (sunyata) is the way of expressing this non-separation. It is not "nothingness"-- for something to be empty, it must be empty of something. Emptiness refers to the emptiness of self, or more precisely, there is no such thing as an independently existing entity. I order for anything to exist requires the rest of the universe-- an infinite network of causality that all comes to THIS present moment. Nothing is separate. But we THINK we are, and that's where all the trouble begins, and we make ourselves and others suffer needlessly because we cling to this separate self. Out of that delusion of a separate self comes suffering, greed and anger.

In the end, the whole point of the Heart Sutra is that you can't be attached to something you aren't separate from to begin with. And in real-ising this (existentially, not intellectually), being untangled from that delusion, one frees oneself from the bonds of desire and greed as well. That's why the Twelve Links of Interdependent Co-Arising BEGINS with ignorance, or delusion of a separate self, of the subject/object duality. Eradicate delusion, and you eradicate dukkha. That is what the Heart Sutra addresses.

At any rate, the Heart Sutra is one of the most central texts to the many varieties of Mahayana Buddhism. Again, for newcomers to Buddhism who are still exploring (there's a LOT of varieties out there!), I'd recommend Thich Nhat Hanh's small book as an introduction to the Heart Sutra. It is quite an eye opener and well worth exploring.
    zscanatamanperson
  • Thank you for that riverflow.
    edited September 2011
    I can already see we'd just be talking past each other, DD--
    definitely not

i hear what you are asserting but you are not hearing me
    To read the Heart Sutra purely on the surface is to miss the point.
    definitely not. the Buddha taught his dhamma is plain, open & straightforward. properly expressed Dhamma is comprehended on surface.

the Heart Sutra teaches the sphere of nothingness but the Mahayanists, like TNH, must go into damage control and assert it teaches interconnectedness and/or no inherent existence
    The Heart Sutra states: There is "no extinction of suffering, no attainment."
    yes...i already pointed this out

but as i said, the H.S. falls down here because the extinction of suffering is independently existent
    Mahayana has to be understood from the Two Truths doctrine (which originated with Nagarjuna? --or at least he helped to formulate it), ."
    be rest assured...the views of the Buddha & Pali do not accord with Nagarjuna

Nagarjuna was merely an intellectual philosopher. for example, his asserting that 'effects' are 'causes' in non-sense. his logic may have a basis intellectually but it does not spiritually.

spiritually, meditatively, causes are causes. it is only the intellectual mind that can deem a cause to be an 'effect'

for example, i put petrol in a car and the car works. to say the car is the cause of the petrol is non-sense
    where the Buddhadharma can be understood from two vantage points: From the ordinary view, we experience dukkha. From the absolute view, we see the delusion that brings dukkha about. ."
    your explanation above is non-sequitur

on the level of ultimate truth, there is still suffering. it is just that there are no "persons" suffering. but there is still suffering in the mind that suffers

for the enlightened observer there may not be suffering. but for the ignorant mind there is suffering

to negate the suffering of other minds on the basis of emptiness is Hinayana
    If you don't follow this dialectical movement of affirming and negating Buddhist concepts, it is easy to misunderstand that Mahayana is flat out contradicting the Buddha's teachings..
    the Mahayana contradicts the Buddha's teaching. the Buddha was fully enlightened and declared he taught all that was necessary.
    All this is a very similar approach to the apophatic tradition in Christian mysticism ..
    To clarify...for you, it is like Christian mysticism. as i said from the start, which you now have confirmed, your "mysticism" approach contradicts Buddhism

mysticism is the 'cloud of unknowing' where as Buddha is the end of greed, hatred & delusion via knowing

i said this from the start but you ignored what i said

Buddhism is liberation via knowing (rather than via unknowing)
    Eckhart or Pseudo-Dionysius..
    lol... how can you compare this to the Buddha...:eek2:
    because THE delusion is the belief in duality...
    i told you from the start...the Buddha did not teach non-duality (adviata)
    In Mahayana emptiness (sunyata) is the way of expressing this non-separation. ...
    i told you that from the start...Mahayana emptiness is not the Buddha's emptiness...the Buddha did not teach non-separation as enlightenment
    It is not "nothingness"--...
    Mahayana may teach non-separation but the Heart Sutra teaches nothingness or non-existence via non-labelling
    for something to be empty, it must be empty of something. Emptiness refers to the emptiness of self, or more precisely, there is no such thing as an independently existing entity. "--...
    you are just babbling theory

"independently existing" is irrelevent. i already said, but you did not read again, Nirvana is independently existing

as I said, emptiness only means "emptiness of self" regardless of whether the things is dependently originated or independently originated
    I order for anything to exist requires the rest of the universe-- an infinite network of causality that all comes to THIS present moment. Nothing is separate. But we THINK we are, and that's where all the trouble begins, and we make ourselves and others suffer needlessly because we cling to this separate self. Out of that delusion of a separate self comes suffering, greed and anger.
    In the end, the whole point of the Heart Sutra is that you can't be attached to something you aren't separate from to begin with.
    the Heart Sutra does not say this...this is just your intepretation
    I'd recommend Thich Nhat Hanh's small book as an introduction to the Heart Sutra. It is quite an eye opener and well worth exploring.
    whatever...

personally, i would never be interested

TNH is good for beginners but not for the finer points of Dhamma

:eek2:
    edited September 2011
    Mahayana has to be understood from the Two Truths doctrine (which originated with Nagarjuna? --or at least he helped to formulate it), where the Buddhadharma can be understood from two vantage points: From the ordinary view, we experience dukkha. From the absolute view, we see the delusion that brings dukkha about. Yet neither of these views are correct either-- both must be transcended in the Mahayana view-- which is the main thrust of the Diamond Sutra (part of the "Perfection of Wisdom" sutras). If you don't follow this dialectical movement of affirming and negating Buddhist concepts, it is easy to misunderstand that Mahayana is flat out contradicting the Buddha's teachings.
    dear Riverflow

i wish to offer a very simple example to demonstrate at least four things:

(1) why the view in the quote above is untenable

(2) why the Heart Sutra is untenable

(3) why the views you are exhorting are unsuitable for beginners

(4) why the views you are exhorting are unsuitable for any rational & humane human being

the example:

(1) a human being commits suicide

(2) the reason why a human being commits suicide is because their mind is suffering

(3) in ultimate reality, there is actually no "being" (satva/satta) that commits suicide. all that really exists is a collection of various physical & mental formations (sankhara)

(4) although there is no satva (being) that commits suicide, the suicide still occurs

(5) why does the suicide occur? why? because that collection of mental formations is suffering

(6) if the collection of mental formations (delusions) was not suffering, those mental formations would not act to commit suicide

(7) but because those ultimately impersonal dependently originated mental formations act to commit suicide, those mental formations, that mind, is suffering

(8) although there is no "person", suicide occurs due to suffering

(9) of there was no suffering, there would be no suicide

(10) if that mind had the wrong view it was an actual "person" but if that mind was also not suffering extremely, it would not commit suicide

(11) so the Heart Sutra is wrong, very wrong, when it says there is no suffering

(12) there is suffering

(13) you or the Diamond Sutra is very wrong if it says the perception of "suffering" is to be transcended

(14) the Buddha said he teaches only about two things: suffering and freedom from suffering

(15) the Buddha taught in the world, only two things occur: the arising of suffering and the cessation of suffering

(16) there is no enlightened view beyond this because the Buddha was fully enlightened

(17) any asserting of a view (or non-view) beyond this can only be a view of nihilism; of nothingness; of non-labelling;

(18) the Buddha rejected all states of non-labelling, such as the sphere of nothingness or the cessation of perception & feeling as Nirvana & Emptiness

kind regards

DD :)
    Why now do you assume 'a being'?
    Mara, have you grasped a view?
    This is a heap of sheer constructions:
    Here no being is found.

Just as, with an assemblage of parts,
    The word 'chariot' is used,
    So, when the aggregates are present,
    There's the convention 'a being.'

It's only suffering that comes to be,
    Suffering that stands and falls away.
    Nothing but suffering comes to be,
    Nothing but suffering ceases

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn05/sn05.010.bodh.html
    The world in general, Kaccaayana, inclines to two views, to existence or to non-existence. But for him who, with the highest wisdom, sees the uprising of the world as it really is, 'non-existence of the world' does not apply, and for him who, with highest wisdom, sees the passing away of the world as it really is, 'existence of the world' does not apply.

"The world in general, Kaccaayana, grasps after systems and is imprisoned by dogmas. But he does not go along with that system-grasping, that mental obstinacy and dogmatic bias, does not grasp at it, does not affirm: 'This is my self.'

He knows without doubt or hesitation that whatever arises is merely dukkha that what passes away is merely dukkha...

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.015.wlsh.html

• Thank you, DhammaDhatu.
  • DD, the heart sutra says NO path so that having heard the first stanza they won't reify that stanza as something existent to cling to. The first stanza is: form is emptiness and emptiness is form.

This is groundlessness not nothingness. No root can be found in all compound dharmas nothing is graspable.

The key line for me is this:

"Because There is Nothing to Be Attained,
    The Bodhisattva Relying On Prajna Paramita Has
    No Obstruction in His Mind."

DDL "but the end of suffering, Nirvana, is an unconditioned thing

the end of suffering, Nirvana, is independently existent"

This is incorrect. Unconditional things are neither existent nor non-existent. Nirvana is when you stop grasping at conditional things as real. Samsara is when you are confused about reality and are grasping at conditional things. Because there is nothing to be attained we cease grasping and thus fear has come to an end. Buddhahood is reached.

Note: This is my opinion based on what I have studied.
  • If samsara were not a layer of wrong thinking brought together by conditions there would be no possibility for enlightenment. The mind is clear luminous and unimpeded. Unimpeded like waves of water that will eventually bring a wave to the shore. Eventually we notice the samsaric thinking as just that.. thinking. At that point we do not gain a special self: enlightenment. Rather we just notice thinking as thinking. This is where the meditation technique comes into the picture.

The third turning of the wheel of dharma is the buddha nature teaching. The essence of this teaching is that if the buddha qualities of love understanding patience and all of the infinite qualities of a buddha do not manifest then there must be grasping. DD is correct that grasping to nothingness only produces suffering.

The mahayana is not about nothingness it is about overcoming attachment to the sense desires, form, and formless realms.

I consider DD to have created a straw man of the mahayana which he then exposes.
  • Avalokiteshevra mantra:

om ma ne pad me hum
  • Milarepa mantra:

You see that all things in samsara and nirvana.... are merely dependently arisen. You see the dharma power of true being... that is the essence of all dependent arisings...
  • When we hurt someone else it hurts. Form is emptiness and emptiness is form.
  • Theravada is severing everything including the highest heaven of nihilism to achieve a breakthrough of emptiness as of Arahat. While Mahayana is the severance of grasping in the form of non-dualism. Arahat only aware of the quality of Buddha Gotama in 3000 years ago. While mahayana has all the qualities of all buddhas. Unlike Mahayana, Theravada does not know Bodhicitta, according Buddha Gotama. :om:
  • Theravada is severing everything including the highest heaven of nihilism...Arahat only aware of the quality of Buddha Gotama in 3000 years ago. While mahayana has all the qualities of all buddhas. Unlike Mahayana, Theravada does not know Bodhicitta, according Buddha Gotama.<<<All these writing things are extremely wrong and stand for wrong view while trying to distort as well as to misguide people concerning Theravava, the basic teachings of Buddhism taught by Gotama Buddha.
    "This nihilist view of existence is considered false because it is based on incomplete understanding of reality. That is why nihilism was also rejected by the Buddha. The teaching of kamma is enough to prove that the Buddha did not teach annihilation after death; Buddhism accepts 'survival' not in the sense of an eternal soul, but in the sense of a renewed becoming". Such wrote by Theravada monk
    The main different thought between Theravada and Mahayana is the notion of Bodhisatta or Bodhisattva. In Theravada, everyone can be called Bodhisatta if he/she is working towards Arahanthood, the same quality of Buddhahood after getting emancipation from the ten fetters (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetter_(Buddhism)).During the process to get rid of craving, hatred, ignorance, and often cultivate mental life aiming at enlightenment, such is his/her bodhicitta, a Theravada bodhisatta made an effort to perfect the paramitas consisting of dana (generosity), Karuna (compassion) to help the other… over countless lifetimes before being born the final time.
    In Mahayana (Pali Canon has never recognized the term ‘mahayana’ which coined by schism), is bodhisattva a being working towards a Buddhahood with vows that will work towards liberating all? It is said that the iconic figure Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva associated with the vow:
    "Not until the hells are emptied will I become a Buddha; not until all beings are saved will I certify to enter nirvana."
    In fact such kind vow is an ideal and exists only in the big dream. Why? It is simply to understand: Not all beings accept your help though you like to save all beings. So the ideal of Mahayana bodhisattva never achieved success, never made into a Reality.
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    With the greatest respect Mahayana has become a reality @bodhisatta, because the reality is that reality is just 'a dream'! You haven't awoke to it yet.

Dreams have no substance or material basis and are therefore empty as the dharma prescribes, but to say that they do not exist is something else. And here is the line that is drawn. Cross the rubicon and you have no foundation, without foundation you have nothing to claim. And who is claiming what?

So I will just leave this mystical experience alone and attempt to finish my jigsaw puzzle. Why is there always a piece missing?

BTW nothing I have stated above is real and should not be taken seriously.

Chenrezig will see to that...

Mettha

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2014
    Some previous participants are no longer members.
    if you'd like to continue discussion, open a new thread. This one is over 2 years old....
This discussion has been closed.