Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Marking Buddhist Books When Studying Them...

ToshTosh Veteran
edited October 2011 in Arts & Writings
I notice many people really take excellent care of their dharma books; some even cover them. I also remember reading about how a highly thought of monk scalded junior monks for mucking about with their books, and heard Pema Chodron saying that Buddhist texts should really be cared for; even placed high up on book shelves to show how important they are.

But when I study a book; any book; I tend to read and highlight it; then I may scribble notes in the margins.

I'm starting to feel that this isn't the correct behaviour towards my Buddhist books, but then my rational side argues that these books are just sign posts.

This is maybe a daft question; maybe not; but what's your opinions on care of Buddhist texts?

Comments

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Take care of them they are very precious :)
    Damaging them creates the causes to experience greater ignorance.
  • Yikes! :dunce:

I'm glad I waited for a reply before I started on my Heart of Wisdom! :D

Thanks, Caz.
  • Its not the books, but what they contain. Marking them up means you care about what the texts are trying to convey. I always read with a red pen in hand...
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    I always highlight what I feel are the main points... then when I'm finished I often transcribe what I've highlighted into note books... I don't remember near as much when I read something as much as I do when I write it down. It would take forever to write out a whole book, let alone several books.
  • Being told to treat books on Buddhism as sacred objects by Tibetan Buddhists in California was one of the experiences that disenchanted me with that group of the Buddha's followers. Books are words on paper and should be engaged (underlined, commented on, etc.), not worshipped.
  • Books are not sacred. Books are paper and ink. They have no inherent existence. Putting more ink on the paper just means you're putting more ink on the paper. If it helps you to understand the dharma, then why not?
  • I'm really picky about how I take care of any book. The method that I use when reading dharma texts is that I use those nifty little sticky arrows. They're the same color as highlighter pens and easily come off the page when I'm done with them. I normally write down the passage in a document that I can always print out so I don't have a book that's just overly colorful and worn out.
  • what aesthetic does one subscribe and give reverence to?

wabi sabi? the acceptance of impermanence as beauty.
    purity and cleanliness as beauty?

one may appreciate and care in such way. one may take care of their books in such a way. another may find value in adding to such books.

what is right and what is wrong? if all is beauty then all is correct.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    When I used to mark books (a hangover from high school) in order to emphasize one passage or another, I found myself increasingly irritated that, when I went back for a second look in one spiritual-endeavor book or another, the important part was either just before or just after what I had initially marked. So then I would mark the new important thing. And then, when I went back for a third look ... well, just before or just after has taken on a new glow. After a while I gave up marking since it just seemed to muck the book up and didn't improve my mind significantly. If something is important, you generally don't need to underline or emphasize it ... it will knock on your front door without asking. :)
  • I use a highlighter when I read as well. I don't think it's wrong. :)
  • It is beneficial for those who find enlightening in some portions of it that highlighting will facilitate revisiting again & again. Essentially so if they have many with them for re-reading of those enlightening sentences. And pointless to highlight if you are not keeping them. :thumbsup:
  • ManiMani Veteran
    I guess I can only speak of my own choice in the matter. I don't highlight as a personal preference, but occasionally I may rip off a tiny piece of paper to mark the page at the top. But for most of the texts/books that I own, there is never really one spot that is any better then another, it is all good!

I suppose on an "ultimate level", they are just books comprised of paper and ink, but on the "relative level", to me they do represent the triple gem and so I like to try to gather up some respect for them. If for no other reason to build the conviction in the three jewels in my mindstream.

But of course, this is just my "view", and means little.

:)
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    I can have superstitious thinking sometimes and I think that's not good.

"However, Disciples, it may be that (after my passing away) you might think: "Gone is the doctrine of our Master. We have no Master more." But thus you should not think; for the Law and the Discipline, which I have taught you, will, after my death, be your master.

The Law be your light,
    The Law be your refuge!
    Do not look for any other refuge!

Therefore, Disciples, the doctrines, which I advised you to penetrate, you should well preserve, well guard, so that this Holy Life may take its course and continue for ages, for the weal and welfare of the many, as a consolation to the world, for the happiness, weal and welfare of heavenly beings and men."

[D. 16]

Something worth noting :D.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    If out of respect you don't wanna muddle up a book by say HHDL you could use a pencil and erase after? Or get some small papers to write on and keep in the book.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Thanks guys. I've sorta compromised. My course text books I scribble notes in and highlight. They're written by my teacher; I'm sure he'd be cool about that. Besides which, it's the way I started, so I may as well finish that way.

But apart from my course books, my other books, such as the Heart Sutra Commentary that I'm working through alongside my course, and my Lamrim text; I'll not mark.

I don't think there's a problem with marking the books; it's more of a mental position of respect that is maybe important to me right now. Maybe once I cross that river I'll discard the boat?
    @Tosh Id advise you to use a notepad rather then marking the books directly Gelug lama's hold dear any written word of Dharma :)
  • Dharma books are just books, mere paper and ink. There is nothing that makes them inherently more valuable or sacred than the cheap HP Lovecraft paperbacks I have sitting on my shelf. One particular book I recently bought used has been marked up by the previous owner. Honestly I'm finding it interesting to see what parts struck him/her as being particularly insightful.
  • If you want to pass on the book to someone in an effort to spread the Dharma and the good things you've learned from it, then your notes and comments become a nuisance, distorting the person's own interpretation and view of the contents of the book, so if you ever intend to pass them on to others, then refrain from marking them.

BUT, if you're certain it will only be YOU using them and benefiting from them, then comments, annotations and marks are very useful.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Hmmmmmm. I shall seek some further advice and post back.

Thanks guys.
  • When I encounter something that speaks to me I handwrite the quote into a Moleskene notebook. Although somewhat expensive, the pages of these notebooks do not fall out over time. I'm on my fourth one. I tend to absorb things more fully when I write them out. I copied all of the Dhammapada.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    Books are just ink on paper. Nothing really special. I don't my Karma is going to be bad if I highlight a passage.

I have a Kindle version of Buddhists books and I use the highlighter on it. Does it harm be because my book is made out of pixels?
    Tosh it is wise to seek out the advise of Geshe Tashi whom your studying with generally I come from the same perspective. listening to those whom would tread over or disrespect texts as such shows a genuine lack of understanding of how precious Dharma is.
    Yes they are ink and paper but it is very special ink and paper that doesnt possess ordinary qualities of a Samsaric book or trash magazine its nature is special because of the instruction it contains with which to liberate the mind you wouldnt place a precious gem on the ground or where it could be damaged because it has great value the same goes for Dharma books, Gems of wisdom that are so hard to find every action creates a cause for us to experience similar results in the future and the result of intentionally damaging Dharma books or regarding them as mundane like Samsaric books creates the cause for us to not experience Dharma.
  • Personally, I find that a well read (and re-read), truly studied book has underlined passages, various markings and notes (and sometimes questions) written off to the side. It's an indication there's some active engagement with the text, a dialogue going on between the text and the reader. If there is anything "sacred," its the activity of reading itself.

But that's just me.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Hi Caz,

Thanks. A friend of mine says exactly the same as yourself. Also books are to be respected; never placed on the floor, nor 'stuff' placed on top of them (other dharma books is okay). Also to cover books is a good idea.

It looks like I'll change my ways I guess.

Cheers.
    Hi Caz,

Thanks. A friend of mine says exactly the same as yourself. Also books are to be respected; never placed on the floor, nor 'stuff' placed on top of them (other dharma books is okay). Also to cover books is a good idea.

Cheers.
    Good man ! :)
  • Hi Caz,

Cheers.
    Should we also scrub our hands and make sure that we have not touched anything impure for a certain period before touching one of these books? Buddhist books are made to be read, not worshiped.
    Hi Caz,

Cheers.
    Should we also scrub our hands and make sure that we have not touched anything impure for a certain period before touching one of these books? Buddhist books are made to be read, not worshiped.
    Generally If I have touched something dirty I wash my hands I dont know about you. I value books not to mention Dharma books so I make sure they are clean before I touch them so as not to ruin them, Yes they are made to be read but if you want to read samsaric material you make sure there arent any stainable substences applied so you can read it again without having damaged the goods you've paid for :)
    Even more so with Holy books that help free the mind you'd want to keep them in best condition as possible to gain maximum benefit and having a correct state of mind toward how you treat them aids in study efficiency and taking care of even the slightest form of morale discipline helps one remember greater faults :)
  • Hi Caz,

Cheers.
    Generally If I have touched something dirty I wash my hands I dont know about you. I value books not to mention Dharma books so I make sure they are clean before I touch them so as not to ruin them, Yes they are made to be read but if you want to read samsaric material you make sure there arent any stainable substences applied so you can read it again without having damaged the goods you've paid for :)
    Even more so with Holy books that help free the mind you'd want to keep them in best condition as possible to gain maximum benefit and having a correct state of mind toward how you treat them aids in study efficiency and taking care of even the slightest form of morale discipline helps one remember greater faults :)
    I'm fairly certain that I can gain the same benefit from the words regardless of if the page is dogeared or a particular passage underlined. Nor do I fear some kind of mystical repercussion from dogearing a page. Nor does this make me understand any less how precious the Dharma is.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Do you guys not think that the mental position gained from treating dharma books as special could be of some benefit? Karma, though I'm no expert, seems to be heavily involved with mental positions/intention.

Even sleep is virtuous, non virtuous, or neutral depending on our mental position before we actually sleep.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    i have no memory for detail. sometimes i will read things that are very pertinent to me, but knowing i will forget the phrasing (and perhaps even the importance), i frequently highlight/underline important passages so i can find them with ease in the future. this helps me remember, so i can't see how it can be wrong. i also keep a giant "journal" of a sort where i write down any passage that i feel i should remember. i started this mostly because i've found a lot of wisdom online that i don't want to forget. i even have some quotes from people on this board :) it's kinda my "big 'ol book of buddhism"
    Hi Caz,

Cheers.
    I'm fairly certain that I can gain the same benefit from the words regardless of if the page is dogeared or a particular passage underlined. Nor do I fear some kind of mystical repercussion from dogearing a page. Nor does this make me understand any less how precious the Dharma is.
    So you think cause and effect is mystical ? If you understand how precious the Dharma is you'd avoid Dogearing a Dharma book in the first place no ? :)
  • If you understand how precious the Dharma is you'd avoid Dogearing a Dharma book in the first place no ? :)
    I mark up books precisely because the Dharma is precious.
    If you understand how precious the Dharma is you'd avoid Dogearing a Dharma book in the first place no ? :)
    I mark up books precisely because the Dharma is precious.
    Thats what Book marks are for :)
  • ManiMani Veteran
    Do you guys not think that the mental position gained from treating dharma books as special could be of some benefit?
    Perhaps I am misunderstanding your question, but I think there is great benefit, to at least mentally holding dharma books with a measure of respect. Some may choose to do the same in an "outer" way by placing them in a high place, not stepping over them, and so-forth as an extension of this. In this way, I think it all comes down to faith and respect in the 3 jewels as being our true refuge here in Samsara. As our faith (or maybe even devotion is a better word) in the three jewels strengthens, then it will surely benefit our practice. So viewing dharma books, dharma implements, and all of these other things as "precious" does help us in our practice I think.

One other thing came to mind here...

While there can be so many parts of a text that is worth "book-marking" or otherwise (believe me, this is why I stopped bookmarking specific pages with little pieces of paper), perhaps it may be useful to read that one specific part numerous times and then contemplate on it. This way it might reach a much deeper level and there may be no need to mark that specific part at all! ;)
  • Hi Caz,

Cheers.
    So you think cause and effect is mystical ? If you understand how precious the Dharma is you'd avoid Dogearing a Dharma book in the first place no ? :)
    No, I understand full and well that cause and effect is the perfect natural supreme law of the Universe. What I've gathered from your posts, however, is that you seem to place some kind of mystical connotation to Buddhist books. Tell me, why would I avoid dogearing a Dharma book in the first place? Sure, there are certain books that I own (not necessarily Buddhist) that I handle with care. The single-volume leather-bound, gilded edition of the 'Lord of the Rings' that I received as a gift from my parents a few years back, for example. But my Buddhist books are all cheap, mass-produced, barcoded paperbacks (and I'm will to guess that's largely the case for most of us here). If I cannot carry such a book, even a Buddhist one, around with me in my pocket, on the train/to the park/wherever, where it is sure to get dirty, scuffued, creased, and well-worn, then it is of no use and no value at all.
    Why because it has been said by many great teachers that being careless with ones Dharma books creates the cause for ignorance. :)
  • Well, that leads to different definitions of "careless" then... I see marking up a book as a positive thing, not a negative one. By the same token, I take very good care of my books (Dharma or otherwise), which I never just toss around on the floor or whatever.

I mean, different strokes for different folks-- but claiming that there is some objectively "correct" way to handle dharma books...? No.
  • Why because it has been said by many great teachers that being careless with ones Dharma books creates the cause for ignorance. :)
    Do they bother to attempt to explain why it creates the cause for ignorance, or are we suppose to just take their word on it?