Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Monk Causes Death of Teen During Buddhist Exorcism

MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
edited September 2011 in Buddhism Today
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/teenager-died-from-‘suffocation’-in-exorcism.html

Interesting stuff. Saw this on Reddit. People seem to be real mad. I tried to explain that Buddhism doesn't teach this stuff, but rather it was the result of the dogma floating around in Japan. I don't know if people even care or if they just want to rage about stuff.

Comments

• The article I saw yesterday just said "a Buddhist monk" which is typical of the sloppy reporting in the West. Turns out Nakayama-Shingo-Shoshu is one of those little weird sects that in this case started in the 1950s. They claim 300,000 followers which is certainly grossly exaggerated. According to some articles, a spokesman for the sect claims the water ritual is only supposed to be used voluntarily with no restraints to "bring one's wishes to reality". Whatever that means.

They have a website but it's in Japanese only and I don't have a clue who founded this sect or what sort of tradition they follow. That wish fulfillment talk sounds awful like something SGI would say, so I wonder if they're affiliated in some way with them?

www.nakayamashingoshoshu.com