Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism perspective on same sex attractions???

edited September 2011 in Buddhism Basics
I'd like to get a buddhist perspective on this problem of mine. I've struggled with my sexuality for a while, and I think I might be gay. But the thing is, I dont WANT to be gay. I have same sex attractions, but I dont want these. And I know the easy answer is 'just accept yourself for who you are' but that just doesn't work with me. I dont want to live the gay lifestyle, I dont want a boyfriend. I just have an attraction to men that gets in the way of my everyday life. I just want to hang out with my friends without feeling attractions. As a little boy I always wanted to be a man, just like any other kid does. I did not see this whole gay thing coming. What is the buddhist perspective on this? I dont want to hear 'just accept yourself' because i cant picture myself living the gay lifestyle. i just have these same sex attractions and they are getting in the way of my life. any help???

Comments

• MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Well, the Dalai Lama once said that no orifice should be used for sexual acts except the female genitalia - and that should only be used for procreation. Though, that is strictly speaking and doesn't really apply to lay Buddhists. Other than that, Buddhism says nothing about homosexuality being wrong or bad. I'm sure most Buddhists think its fine. I mean, I wish I could give advice, but I can't relate. I believe we have some forum members who are attracted to the same sex, though, who could help.
  • @gottaq why is it that you don't want to be gay? What is the gay lifestyle to you? Why can't you be a man and gay?
  • edited September 2011
    There is no Buddhist perspective on this (other than--you guessed it--"accept what you can't change"). Give yourself time, gottaq. This may work itself out, in some way. Are you attracted to women, or just men? There is no "gay lifestyle", there are just people who care about each other. Is there a "heterosexual lifestyle" or an "African-American lifestyle"? No, there are just human beings, doing their best to get through life. It sounds as though you may be rejecting a stereotyped image. That's all in your mind.

Do you meditate? Meditation will help calm you, but also it can help you get to what is behind what sounds like panic and rejection. Is there fear at the bottom of that? Judgmentalism? Hate? Buddhism teaches to overcome those negativities. Face your fears, have a dialogue with yourself about your fear, or whatever is at the root of your reaction. See what thoughts come up in meditation. Observe.

This may not be the type of answer you were looking for. There is no magic bullet. Go easy on yourself. Practice compassion for yourself.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited September 2011
    I don't think most would Buddhist would care. "just be yourself!" Just kidding :p Don't live a gay lifestyle, nothing would say that you have to. If its about repressing a side of yourself, I would suggest that is not healthy. Find some middleground, be bi-sexual if you like women as well. If it's just a sexual thing and you like looking at men sexually, so what. If you have a real attraction to men and desire (not just sexual) to be in a relationship with them, then denying that part of yourself is going to result in anger and frustration for yourself. Relax be easy on yourself, don't beat yourself up over what you think you should or should not be. Sexual conduct from a Buddhist point of view is that it should be non-harming
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited September 2011
    There are gays in all walks of life. You don't need to adopt some type of gay life style. There have been a number of gay men in the fishing business during my career. Just working and living the fishing life like anyone else.
  • I believe that Buddhism allows everything that pleases you but d.oes not harm you or anyone else.
  • What is a "gay lifestyle"? Neither homosexuality nor heterosexuality (or any other kind of sexual orientation) is monolithic. We'd all be a boring bunch of people if it were otherwise.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    There is a verse in commonly recited prayers stages of the path and is very applicable for all samsara.

" Samsaras pleasures are deceptive give no contentment only torment, So please bless me to strive sincerly to gain the bliss of perfect freedom "
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    i sent you a PM.
  • I'm openly gay (lesbian) and in a Civil Partnership (aka 'gay marriage') with my partner. There are many lesbian and gay Buddhists - it's quite common, but its not generally a big issue in any sangha I've been involved with.

HH Dalai Lama has his opinions, but they are not as clear-cut as portrayed here. His main concern is nothing to do with what bits people have sex with, but with fidelity, mutual respect and all the other things that are associated with a virtuous life (he had heard some alarming things about Western 'gay culture'). Besides, he never claimed to be infallible, and you have to remember he is an old man, from a very traditional society. It was unclear when he spoke about homosexuality whether he was talking from a Dharma perspective, or a Tibetan perspective. They are not necessarily the same thing.

I understand the feeling of not wanting to be gay - we call it "internalised homophobia". But the fact is, you are what you are, whether you're gay, bisexual or just confused. It's not really an issue until you fall in love. Until then, my advice to you would be "If you can't be good, be careful" LOL

FWIW there is no such thing as the "gay lifestyle". There's just life. Some people share their lives with a same-sex person, others with an opposite sex person, some live with friends, or alone. But the worst 'lifestyle' is spending your life wishing yourself somewhere else, or being someone else. This is a precious human life: don't waste it trying to be what you're not.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Heterosexuals suffer.
    Homosexuals suffer.
    Buddhism is available to those who suffer.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    FWIW there is no such thing as the "gay lifestyle".
    This times 1000. You have a stereotype about gay people :) You are in control of how you live and talk with your friends. When you're ready, tell them. You deserve friends that won't care.

Most Buddhist traditions, as far as I know, do not care at all.

PS: I bet it's not that you don't want a boyfriend, it's that you're not comfortable dealing with everyone else's bullshit yet. You'll get there.
  • Hi, I'm 21 and a gay guy. Buddhism from what you have already read from others is accepting to all walks of life, and yes the Dalai Lama does have his opinions but I would say it's more of a cultural thing than religious. Culture tends to fit in with the religion of a region.

Don't worry about labels, just be who you are. I think I can relate to you on the gay lifestyle, but believe me it's just a stereotype. When I come out for example, I thought I had to go to gay clubs and bars all the time. I realized that it didn't matter who I was attracted too, I don't have to do anything that I don't want to do, I just had to be me. I stopped going to clubs and bars, I hated clubbing and drinking anyway. Instead I would spend the night playing on my xbox with my online mates, with a can of Dr Pepper by my side ha ha. That's what I like to do. I don't have many girl mates because I tend to click with men more, and not in an sexual way, there straight, I just see them as my mates. I live with my partner now and pug lol. Like I said before just relax, forget the labels and just be. Do what you like to do, eventually you will realize what you like and don't like. So if you like guys, so be it, you don't have to label yourself anything, only you can call yourself gay, bi or straight. For now though just go with the flow and be you. :3
  • thank you for the advice everybody. but probably the biggest reason i dont want to be gay is that i dont understand it. i dont understand why people from the same sex would be attracted to each other. im very interested in science, and i always think of things from a scientific standpoint. so i dont understand why there would be same sex attractions, if sex is supposed to be for reproduction. how can gay be biological, if a gay gene would have died out, since gays dont reproduce??? I don't understand it at all, and I want a real explanaation other than 'that's just who you are'. that simply doesnt help me. i want to know WHY im gay, why gay people exist, and if it's a psychological or biological issue. any help here?
  • why gay people exist
    for some people it is a psychological thing but i believe this is a very small majority... most people are gay because of genetics (karma). homosexuality has been observed in almost all of the well studied animals... from simple sex to life-long pairing. no one has been able to pinpoint exactly what causes it... but certain genes have been suspected to be involved, hormone levels within the mother and womb have also been observed to be different.

why are your eyes the color they are? the same reason you're gay. the genetic reason you are gay are not a MISTAKE.. not an error. they are simply a difference, like the difference between eye colors, hair colors, body types, etc. part of the beautiful, perfect, diversity that infuses all living beings.

the whole idea that 'gay is bad' is PURELY social conditioning... it is perfectly acceptable, even desirable in certain cultures. the Buddha, having perfect clarity of vision, knew this... there were no less gay people in his time, and im sure he didn't touch on this for a reason.

edited October 2011
    @gottaq This is kinda like obsessing over why people have red hair even though it's a recessive gene. Genetics are more complex than blue eyes + brown eyes = blue eyes.

While I don't think it's related, I also think you'll have trouble proving gay people don't reproduce. As politics has taught us, being gay doesn't mean you can't get married to a woman and have a miserable existence. ;)
  • While I don't think it's related, I also think you'll have trouble proving gay people don't reproduce. As politics has taught us, being gay doesn't mean you can't get married to a woman and have a miserable existence. ;)
    My partner and I have three children, well, I gave birth to them but she's as much their parent as I am. Many of my gay and lesbian friends have children, either from a vain attempt to live a heterosexual life (that's common in my age group of 40-somethings) or some of the younger ones have procreated using various other means. It is common for lesbian couples to have children via donor sperm, and I know three gay couples who've adopted (generally 'hard to adopt' children whose lives would have been pretty miserable if it wasn't for gay families willing to adopt).

One of my friends is in a very complicated situation where his boyfriend conceived a child in a drunken one-night stand with a female friend, but the mother couldn't cope so his BF got custody. Then the BF had some sort of breakdown, left him, and he literally ended up holding the baby. So now he's a single dad (officially fostering the child, but social services are very happy about it).

I sometimes wonder if the gay community's rather looser definition of 'family', to include friends, ex's, and friends/ex's relatives makes us particularly good at forming families in unconventional ways.

FWIW many gays and lesbians I know have tried hetero sex at some point, because the social pressures to conform are immense. The problem with living a lie like that aren't usually sex, they're love. Whilst you can love someone you are not sexually attracted to, falling head over heals in love with someone takes attraction. The tragedy is the wives and husbands locked in sexless, lonely and sometimes loveless marriages, because the church or society says that that is what gay people should do. It causes misery all round, effectively sacrificing the hetero spouses happiness for the sake of convention. Imagine being married to someone who would never find you attractive, never fall in love with you?

In terms of compassion and loving kindness, being honest about who you are from day one has to be the best way to be. Unless you live in a country where it is illegal and you are likely to be killed or imprisoned.
  • @gottaq Scientists don't know why homosexuality exists, but in most species, including our own, it is not helpful if all males reproduce. It is thought likely that either homosexuality is a side-effect of some other, unrelated genetic advantage, or that homosexual males might be useful for protecting children and females, and getting food without the burden of producing extra offspring.

However, most male-with-male sex is not by people who identify as homosexual. Quite a lot of it goes on, either among men who consider themselves heterosexual. I know this sounds weird, but study after study has shown this. Exclusively homosexual men are relatively uncommon.

As for lesbians, we are even more of a mystery. Again, it could simply be a side-effect of other genetic advantages, or it could be that non-reproductive females could be useful to the group. It is however a depressing historical fact that for most women, consent wasn't really a concept until quite recently. So whether a woman was lesbian or not, she'd probably end up with a husband and children.

We also should remember that for humans, sex is about more than reproduction. It is pair bonding and it is group cohesion. These aspects of sex are as relavent to homosexual as to heterosexual pairs.
  • Sex is more than just for reproduction. It is an expression of love and physical intimacy. Pairing is common among all species and homosexuality/bisexuality is evident in the animal kingdom and throughout human history. If you want to go into psychology or something and put some effort toward understanding homosexuality then that would be a novel pursuit.

In my opinion, such a quandary will never be answered by science. Sexual preference is varied and conditioned and determined by an infinite number of interrelated factors. Learn to accept yourself and don't be afraid of what others might think.

What does it matter if someone told you that being gay is "unnatural." If no one ever told you that, would you be more comfortable making up your own mind on the subject?

This self-loathing is only going to lead to further confusion and distress.

I'm only just recently beginning to accept the reality of my homosexuality, and one moment of acceptance has been more liberating than 25 years of rejection and denial.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited October 2011
    Some studies have shown that there's more of a tendency for later-born children, i.e. the 3rd or 4th child to be gay, than first-borns. The conclusion that was drawn was that the mother's hormonal mix changes with multiple births, so there's more of a chance for the last kid in the bunch to be gay. But there are plenty of families where that doesn''t happen, though I do know of a case who fits that profile. So if there's any truth to that theory, it would mean that gayness isn't genetically based, so the "gay gene" wouldn't die out. Natural selection wouldn't apply. Anyway, more research remains to be done.

In some Native American cultures, gay people are considered to be highly spiritual people. In many cultures around the world, it's considered quite natural and normal. Check out Wesley Thomas (Navajo), who has published a book or two about "Two-Spirit People", if you want a healthy perspective on the issue.

It seems like this discovery about yourself has come as a shock, gottaq. Give yourself time to adjust, be kind with yourself. I think Compassionate Warrior covered all the bases concisely, and gave some good advice about using meditation to help. One can arrive at peace with oneself through meditation. There's not much more to say that hasn't been posted already. If you're in college, you can get free counseling at the campus health service, to help get over the shock and confusion or rejection of this part of yourself. If you decide to try that, be careful about choosing a counselor.
    @Ada_B Great comments! Thanks for sharing.

@Talisman It all gets better from there. :)
  • We seem to have a fairly well represented homosexual/bisexual population on these forums. I think that buddhism tends to attract more of this group because it doesn't have anything to say about sexuality. We are free to be ourselves and follow a buddhist practice.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    nobody brought up this article:

"A new study finds that both drugs and genetic manipulation can turn the homosexual behavior of fruit flies on and off within a matter of hours."

granted, it's from fox news... lol. i somehow feel like they only wrote it to secretly find a way to fix homosexuals. but i digress... the findings are still interesting.

i distinctly remember one girl in my past that i dated only because "she smelled good." i can't really explain it other than that. she was a trainwreck, totally wrong for me, already in an "open relationship" with a guy... but... i'll be damned if being around her didn't just drive me crazy.
  • Whoa! Good article, ZG. Still, fruit flies are a long way from humans, many years of R & D still need to be done. Also there's been a fair amount of research that says most people are not 100% gay nor 100% straight, but some gradation in-between. There is an almost infinite variety of gay-ness and bi-ness, with people who are truly 100% straight being perhaps in the minority.

In the meantime, gottaq, you're welcome here to discuss, share, ask questions. We're here for you.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited October 2011
    Article is by Fox News? :hiding:
  • So long as the world (or any one country) isn't taken over by Rupert Murdoch and Fox News, I think sexual diversity is safe from coercive medical treatment.
  • edited October 2011
    Hi Gottaq, purely on a science front there are some good theories out there, Google 'evolutionary benefits of homosexuality' for example.

One good theory being that homosexuality brings extra adults into a tribe/family providing more security without using the tribes resources by having their own children. Their nieces/nephews then have a much higher chance of survival. This might seem odd until we realise that in some instances the genetic similarity between an uncle and nephew can be extremely high. So homosexuality helps ensure the survival of the genetics of a tribe as a whole.

The parent carries this gene in a dormant state that springs into action, this is why the gene survives even though homosexuals might not reproduce, its carried on from the parent to all their offspring in a dormant state.

On another note I have plenty of gay friends who live a very standard life but just happen to have a same sex partner. You can choose your own lifestyle. Buddhists are only concerned with your spiritual progress and don't judge people's personal preferences.

I'd also like to say, with respect of course, that HH the dalai lama is the authority of one subsect of one school of Buddhism and not Buddhism as a whole, despite the media potraying him as such. I took his view on homosexuality with a pinch of salt.

Metta
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited October 2011
    Just chill :om:
    I have a mom who is gay and even though she is living with the same women for 30 years no she still refers to her as her "roomate". Denial is no way to live. You have one life in this world, be true to yourself.
    All the best,
    Todd
  • I do wonder what the big deal about sex is anyway? When you think of what sex is, objectively, doesn't it seem a rather silly thing for people to get all worked-up about? Or maybe I'm getting old before my time.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Someone sent me a quote recently that was attributed to Ernest Hemingway. Can't do it exactly, but it went something like, "There is nothing so overrated as sex or so underrated as a good bowel movement."
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    @Ada_B :D :thumbup: (Always look forward to your comments)
  • hi, just wanted to say the 'gay lifestyle' is no different to the straight lifestyle, there is no gay lifestyle, in the same way that all straight people are different. Put simply your attraction to men is harmless, and you do not have to change yourself to be yourself, you already are yourself. As others have said sex is just sex, love is love it doesn't matter who participates as long as everybody is happy. Simple. Take things one step at a time and try not to worry, you cannot fail at being yourself, it is already what you are.

:)
  • edited October 2011
    I'm openly gay (lesbian) and in a Civil Partnership (aka 'gay marriage') with my partner.
    I thought you mentioned your husband in a comment to another topic. Perhaps I misread it...?
    :skeptic:

Sexual attraction is something that comes and goes. You can be sexually attracted to one person, and not another. It might help if you reminded yourself that you are not attracted to just men, but individuals. Looking at the individual instead of their sex is the best way to go. Remember that this is just a tiny aspect of a complex human. Forget that you're a man as well; there is really no reason why one should have their own masculinity or femininity on their minds at all.

EDIT: By the way, I am a young woman who is sexually attracted to other young women. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
  • @Chiisai_Pholcidae68 :clap: :thumbsup: :bowdown: We are not any single aspect of ourselves.
  • I'm openly gay (lesbian) and in a Civil Partnership (aka 'gay marriage') with my partner.
    I thought you mentioned your husband in a comment to another topic. Perhaps I misread it...?
    :skeptic:
    I did have a husband, that is true. I was in a heterosexual marriage for 12 years. I have a female partner now and we had a Civil Partnership a few years ago.

So you could say that I've seen both sides of the coin. I prefer this side.

• Buddhism is about eradicating all cravings and attachments. Being attracted to the same sex or not is irrelevant.
  • yildunyildun Explorer
    HI
    i tried homosexuality when I was younger Took a lesbian
    out on a date No Joy I also prefer this side but wish the other side
    all the best
    metta
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    I'd like to get a buddhist perspective on this problem of mine. I've struggled with my sexuality for a while, and I think I might be gay. But the thing is, I dont WANT to be gay. I have same sex attractions, but I dont want these. And I know the easy answer is 'just accept yourself for who you are' but that just doesn't work with me. I dont want to live the gay lifestyle, I dont want a boyfriend. I just have an attraction to men that gets in the way of my everyday life. I just want to hang out with my friends without feeling attractions. As a little boy I always wanted to be a man, just like any other kid does. I did not see this whole gay thing coming. What is the buddhist perspective on this? I dont want to hear 'just accept yourself' because i cant picture myself living the gay lifestyle. i just have these same sex attractions and they are getting in the way of my life. any help???

Dont worry its just desirous attachment which so happens to be a deluded mind, You can meditate on the impurities of the object of attachment to lessen it and finally remove it if you so wish. :)

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @gottaq
    Buddhism in general doesn't say anything against homosexuality. If you're not harming yourself or others...

His Holiness the Dalai Lama speaks either for Tibet or for Tibetan Buddhism when he says that oral and anal sex is considered wrong even for straight people. Whatever this is based on it doesn't seem to be something common to all (or even many) forms of Buddhism, and the Dalai Lama doesn't speak for all of Buddhism.

I think the Buddhist way of lessening desires is to acknowledge them when they arise, and then to let them go (without judging them). If you treat cravings in this way, not "feeding" them, they lessen and eventually cease to arise. Training the mind is just like training anything else. If you start feeding wild cats and they keep coming back for more, you have to stop feeding them. They'll come around for a while yet, but eventually go elsewhere.

Of course denial is also harmful and can cause future problems. I used to have a friend who was in agony over thinking he might be gay, but has since found happiness in accepting that he is in fact gay. The question becomes... why such agony over the possibility of being gay? Why so much aversion toward it?

I hope you figure it out. Often when reality and our desires conflict, we're stuck and frustrated. There are two choices at that point: try to change reality, or try to change our outlook (and accept reality).
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    This thread was begun in October 2011, and the OP has never returned since.....
This discussion has been closed.