Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Help with my course - what does 'Epistemology' mean in Buddhism?

ToshTosh Veteran
edited October 2011 in Philosophy
I've got a question to answer, and part of it says that 'Epistemology' is a very important term in Buddhism. Please explain what I understand the meaning of this term to be.

(That's not the exact question; I can answer the other parts).

But from looking at my course materials, Epistemology is the study of how the mind functions (and psychology is a study of what the mind is).

However, I still don't know what Epistemology is in Buddhism and what it deals with? Would the 6 main minds and the traditional 51 mental factors come under epistemology? Or would that come under psychology?

Confused.com.

Thanks.

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2011
    Maybe it's an important term in studying Buddhism (as part of a class on religions or something), but not in learning Buddhism as a practitioner. First I've heard of it connected to Buddhism at all.
  • I've got a question to answer, and part of it says that 'Epistemology' is a very important term in Buddhism. Please explain what I understand the meaning of this term to be.

(That's not the exact question; I can answer the other parts).

But from looking at my course materials, Epistemology is the study of how the mind functions (and psychology is a study of what the mind is).

However, I still don't know what Epistemology is in Buddhism and what it deals with? Would the 6 main minds and the traditional 51 mental factors come under epistemology? Or would that come under psychology?

Confused.com.

Thanks.
    Hi @Tosh,

Empistemology is the philosophical study of knowledge, certainty, doubt and belief. In western philosophy its very much concerned with the definitions and limmits of what we can know and how these can be formalised.

The Buddha isnt really interested in defining knowledge and the like so he has been largely ignored by western philosophers. However, he does come up with what I believe is the most profound epistemological framework which focusses on doubt not certainty.

I think for the Buddha all he can be certain of is the three marks and four noble truths (and I think consistency/noncontradiction). For everything else he proposes a radical solution as described in the kalama suttra: radical doubt resolved by self illumination. ie, doubt everything and be your own light.

I hope that is some guidance:)

Good luck

Mat
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited October 2011
    @Cloud: If you've any complaints, speak to Geshi Tashi Tsering for the Jamyang Buddhist Centre; he's the head honcho of the course. I am but a mere student. :o

The module we're studying is Buddhist Psychology, if that's any help. 6 main minds, the traditional 51 mental factors, how they relate 'n' lots of other stuff.

But I would've thought how the mind works is quite important to Buddhism, and Epistemology is the name for that.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Thanks, Mat. Yes, that does help. I'll not cut 'n' paste; promise.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Just to add:

From my course book:

"In Tibetan Buddhism, the study of the mind is classified as an inner science. Psychology (the study of what the mind is) and epistemology (the study of how the mind fuctions) are understood to be crucial aspects of the spiritual path. Medicine and logic are outer sciences, and although considered very important, are accorded less prominence when compared to the inner sciences."
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    edited October 2011
    @Tosh,

I've only found a quote by HHDL in his book about Dzogchen:

"The reason why we find so much discussion of epistemology, or how to define something as a valid cognition, in Buddhist writings is because all our problems, suffering and confusion derive from a misconceived way of perceiving things."

Also found this: http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=9560575

Isn't there a dedicated forum for your course? I'm just asking out of curiosity, since I thought about doing the same course a while ago. Of course it's fine for you to post here as well, and we're glad to help.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited October 2011
    Yep, there's a dedicated forum; but I like to cheat and look clever! :D

Not really, this forum is a lot busier than the forum we use for the course, and the diversity of answer is good for my study.

And not all of my questions are directly relevant to the course module we're currently studying; I also try to fit in study of specific subjects that grab my interest along the way.

And you're a nice bunch here; very diverse; and I like that.

And thanks for the help. The stuff I'm finding don't seem to fit with the way my teacher is explaining the word 'epistemology'; I think I'll have to check with the course.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2011
    I understand the confusion, that's for sure. Actually I think things are sometimes made more confusing than they need to be! ;)
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Yep, I think you're right, Cloud.

Thanks all for the help.
  • I would strongly disagree that Buddhism, or other Eastern philosophies have been "largely ignored by Western philosophy".

Having sat my graduate philosophy exam today, and having a brain that no longer functions (Blrrrrrr), I still can say that the vast majority of modern philosophers have been strongly influenced by Buddhist thinking. As, incidentally, were the ancients. Read Aristotle and tell me you don't see a hint of the dharma poking through.

Of the many things I wrote today in my exam (most of which have disappeared in some stressed-out blur), I distinctly remember talking about monist idealism (the idea that all is immaterial i.e. Mind), the definitions of sentience (including Buddhist understandings), and the societal effects of compassion. All of these views have been influenced, sometimes overtly, by the cross-fertilisation of ideas between Western and Eastern philosophers.

Epistemology can be basically summarised as "What is Mind?". It is an issue that has exercised philosophers since the ancient Greeks and as your question suggests, is an issue that is close to the hearts of many Buddhists. Whether or not they call it that.

The thing about philosophy is that for every term, you can find a dozen philosophers who talk about similar concepts, using their own terms. Which is why it is always vital to define your terms before constructing your argument, to make sure everyone is on the same page.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Interesting, Ada; thank you.

Just out of interest have you looked at the four Buddhist schools of Vaibashika, Sautrantika, Chittimatra (Mind Only) and the Madhyamaka's and contrasted and compared their different philosophies?
  • Interesting, Ada; thank you.

Just out of interest have you looked at the four Buddhist schools of Vaibashika, Sautrantika, Chittimatra (Mind Only) and the Madhyamaka's and contrasted and compared their different philosophies?
    I'm not currently interested in diverse strands of Buddhist philosophy. For the moment I like to keep it simple. My current practice is Tibetan Kagyu. There is enough there for a lifetime, let alone other schools!

• edited October 2011
    In Buddhism the epistemology of the mind is that the mind is impermanent. That due to the fact that the mind is impermanent, it is bound up with suffering, and due to the fact that it is impermanent and bound up with suffering, it can not be clung to as one's "self."

If you want to go deeper into to it, then the 12 links of dependent origination are for you.
  • For me epistemology in buddhism relates to the realizations that one gets from the practice. Epistemology is concerned with separating knowledge/truth/certainty from opinion/doubt/belief. What is it that allows a buddhist to say that something is knowable vs our default state of ignorance?