Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The return of General Banter

LincLinc Site ownerDetroit Moderator
edited December 2011 in NewBuddhist.com
From now on, General Banter will only be filtered for guests, not when you're logged in (previously no General Banter discussions showed on the main page for anyone).

Members can change what categories show up on their main page on their own. Go here: http://newbuddhist.com/categories/all and click "Unfollow" on any category you don't wish to see. It will remove those discussions from the main list, and remove that category from the sidebar.

To see categories you've unfollowed, go back to the link above, and look in the sidebar for "Category Management". That will let you show all and change your settings.

Comments

• MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Yay!
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    edited December 2011

To see categories you've unfollowed, go back to the link above, and look in the sidebar for "Category Management". That will let you show all and change your settings.
    @Lincoln Where/how else can one find that link or the page it leads to? Seems a little complicated to have to find this thread and your post to get there for making changes in the future....

Also, how about leaving the status quo as an option? IOW so one can click and view the banter page if one wants to from a link in the side bar. The way you describe it, this won't be possible with the new settings, it's either all or nothing....

Thanks for all your work and good intentions :-)
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited December 2011
    The word "Categories" in the sidebar leads to the same place.

The "Unfollow" mechanism is baked into Vanilla, and I decided it was superior to my solution. Preserving the status quo is more work I'm not interested in doing. ;) You can bookmark the General Banter page directly if you'd like to Unfollow and still have easy access.
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    Thanks @Lincoln, good solution :)
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Love it! Thanks!
  • I like Lincoln's santa hat, meself ... very festive
  • I don´t know where to post this so I´ll put it here.

What about a feature that, when you post in any discussion, you automatically come subscribed to it, so you get notifications if there is further discussion, and can manage subscriptions in your profile or something?
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I don´t know where to post this so I´ll put it here.

What about a feature that, when you post in any discussion, you automatically come subscribed to it, so you get notifications if there is further discussion, and can manage subscriptions in your profile or something?
    Good idea!
  • You should add a Resource area where people can post links and other stuff for awesome websites and such. :3
    Try the "Commented" tab on the main forum page. It doesn't send email notifications, though.
  • What about a feature that, when you post in any discussion, you automatically come subscribed to it, so you get notifications if there is further discussion, and can manage subscriptions in your profile or something?
    Try the "Commented" tab on the main forum page. It doesn't send email notifications, though.
    I did´nt notice that there. Thats really helpful :)
  • Linc, I remember when "Members Only" used to be hidden from the main board, for privacy. Could that function be restored?
    @compassionate_warrior "Members Only" discussions only appear when you are logged in. It is as private as ever.
  • From now on, General Banter will only be filtered for guests, not when you're logged in (previously no General Banter discussions showed on the main page for anyone).

Members can change what categories show up on their main page on their own. Go here: http://newbuddhist.com/categories/all and click "Unfollow" on any category you don't wish to see. It will remove those discussions from the main list, and remove that category from the sidebar.

Woohoo. Merci Lincoln.
    edited December 2011
    I've also fixed the issue where Announcements would never show on the main page. Announcements will now A) act like normal discussions on the main page and B) remain "stuck" to the top in their category (as ever).