Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Taoism

edited January 2012 in Faith & Religion
What do you think about Taoism? I recently bought a book on Taoism, but I am wondering how well its philosophy could be integrated into Buddhism, if you understand me.

Comments

• They always seemed really similar to me. I read that Taoism influenced Ch'an Buddhism in China's "southern school" of Ch'an. Something like that.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    I have heard an expression, "Buddhism without taoism is like popcorn without butter"
  • edited January 2012
    I have heard an expression, "Buddhism without taoism is like popcorn without butter"
    A lot healthier for you?

:lol: I just kid you, Shanyin. Only a joke. :)

Edit: Haha, I also saw you just joined thetaobums. "New Member: ShanYin." I am going to join too.
  • Check out: http://www.thetaobums.com
    I just checked the site out. They do not seem to have very high views on Buddhism over there. :(
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Check out: http://www.thetaobums.com
    I just checked the site out. They do not seem to have very high views on Buddhism over there. :(
    Yea, there is a lot of debates there about Buddhism. However, at least they finally got a sub forum for Buddhism.
    edited January 2012
    I very much liked this:

The Nei-yeh (Inner Cultivation or Inward Training)
    Anonymous - Mid 4th Century BCE

Translated by Harold Roth

As for the vitality of all human beings:
    It inevitably occurs because of balanced and aligned [breathing].
    The reason for its loss
    Is inevitably pleasure and anger, worry and anxiety.
    Therefore, to bring your anger to a halt, there is nothing better than poetry;
    To cast off worry there is nothing better than music;
    To limit music there is nothing better than rites;
    To hold onto the rites there is nothing better than reverence;
    To hold onto reverence there is nothing better than tranquility.
    When you are inwardly tranquil and outwardly reverent
    You are able to return to your innate nature
    And this nature will become greatly stable.

And that's just one I have read.
  • I read a page a day of 365 Tao, by Deng Ming-Dao. It is very compatible with Buddhism. I have read and reread this book over the past several years and I am amazed at how the same passages are so different based on where I am in my life and what has transpired since I last read it.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I think it's important to differentiate between philosophical Taoism (which is what I believe influenced Chan Buddhism in China) and religious Taoism, which tends to have a lot of shamanistic influence remaining (rituals, gods/godesses, etc).

• different finger, same moon
  • I think it's important to differentiate between philosophical Taoism (which is what I believe influenced Chan Buddhism in China) and religious Taoism, which tends to have a lot of shamanistic influence remaining (rituals, gods/godesses, etc).
    This is very interesting. One is the more intellectual side, the other--the primal side. Good observation.

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

different finger, same moon
    Essentially, I suppose. But when people talk about Taoism and its relation to Buddhism, I think it's important to realize that there is another side to Taoism that is vastly different (in comparison with Buddhism), yet still practiced by many people.

Just want to give a little trivia in case anyone who's interested in philosophical Taoism talks to a religious Taoist practitioner and then becomes confused, thinking "That's not Taoism!"
  • The Chuang Tzu, a taoist book, got me interested in this whole business of eastern thought and lead to buddhism for me.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    What do you think about Taoism? I recently bought a book on Taoism, but I am wondering how well its philosophy could be integrated into Buddhism, if you understand me.
    Taoism link to Buddhism:

--The TAO Te Ching
    New Translation, Ralph Alan Dale

Verse 33: Who are you?

If you understand others, you are astute.
    If you understand yourself, you are insightful.

If you master others, you are uncommonly forceful.
    If you master yourself you have uncommon strength.

If you know when you have enough, you are wealthy.
    If you carry your intentions to completion, you are resolute.

If you find your roots and nourish them, you will know longevity.
    If you live a long creative life, you will leave an eternal legacy.

• In taoism forum, speak taolistically :D
  • The Chuang Tzu, a taoist book, got me interested in this whole business of eastern thought and lead to buddhism for me.
    A friend of mine is reading this book now (Zhuangzi, in Mainland Chinese), and loves it. She says it's not like Buddhism at all (I always found Taoism and Buddhism to be remarkably similar in some ways), so now I'm curious about it.

What was your take on it, Jeffrey? Could you say a little about it?

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2012
    @Dakini, it makes you look at things from a different angle, an angle which relieves some worries I think. It is sort of like a massage for the mind. And it validates a shift in values to less heavy and tight.

“Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate.”

“I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.”

“Great wisdom is generous; petty wisdom is contentious.”

So yeah, @taiyaki would like it! And you too ;)
  • Taiyaki does like it. Go with the flow man.
  • When Buddhist monks came into China, they recognized Taoist teachings as being fundamentally Buddhist. The two religions cross-pollinated: Taoism had a philosophy, but not much of the other stuff that makes it a religion.

Coming out of the crossover, Taoism picked up a claim that Lao Tzu authored _The Diamond Sutra_, which Taoists call ... mmm, not finding it at the moment. But it's exactly the same text. Same numbered divisions, everything.

Buddhism, on the other hand, came out of the cross-pollination with a marked difference. It became Ch'en, in China, which became Zen as it moved through Korea into Japana. --What is that called, when religions hybridize?

There are undoubtedly differences in philosophy between that expressed by the Buddha and that expressed by Lao Tzu. But the similarities are striking, and it can be difficult to do a straight comparison, because Lao Tzu wrote in an enigmatic, riddling manner, while the Buddha taught (if the Pali texts are to be believed) in a very straightforward way.

Zen picked up the enigmatic, riddling manner, but dropped the underlying alchemical philosophy.

This is all from what I've been able to see. Take it with a grain of salt -- I haven't studied it deeply!
  • Growing up, I was told that our family is buddhist, but later when I grew up and looked up what Buddhism really is, it turns out that my family's Buddhism is mixed with something, probably Taoism since we are from Southern China. There are a lot of extra rituals that we had that are not part of the Buddhism that I read about.

It was very interesting reading about and tracing the paths around the world that buddhism spread to.
  • Would it not be odd if Buddhism and Taoism were not essentially similar, seeing as how we all live in the same world? As someone said earlier, same moon, different finger. I find it difficult to see any important differences underneath the contingent details.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Would it not be odd if Buddhism and Taoism were not essentially similar, seeing as how we all live in the same world? As someone said earlier, same moon, different finger. I find it difficult to see any important differences underneath the contingent details.
    A good point.

As I recall, Taoism is kinda the original religion of ancient China. It's foundation is the idea that a fundamental principle, the Tao, underlies all of nature. Akin to what we Buddhists call the "Buddha nature." And certainly, many Tao philosophers left behind writings which seem almost Zen-like.

The early Chinese teachers of meditation (dhyana in Sanskkrit and Ch'an in Chinese) certainly took from the Taoist view of intuitive wisdom. Most histories of Zen in China make many references to the similarities, and give credit to the contributions of the early Taoists philosophers.
    I suggest everyone read the book The Tao of Pooh. It's a great read on Taoism in action (by using Winnie the Pooh) and you can really draw the similarities between Taoism and Zen.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited April 2012
    I love reading about Chinese religious history. In particular, from the vantage point of outside the culture and many centuries distant, what looks like patterns emerge that I've often pondered.

The original religion of China, near as we can tell from artifacts and what the early Chinese themselves wrote about it, is commonly called Shamanism. It's the original religion of humanity itself. It's a combination of ancestor worship and rituals and beliefs in how to deal with the many spirits of the world to get favors and divine what's going to happen next. This is the root from which all religions spring.

Then Confucianism took ancestor worship and worship of authority and ritual and ran with it, and in response Taoism emerged, anti-authority and in contrast claiming nature itself and not human rules and conventions provided a blueprint for proper living. Shades of hippy versus hardhat. Yin and Yang in action.

Into this battleground came Buddhism, and I can only imagine the arguments and debates that this sparked. Buddhism was the middle way. It had the worship of ancestors in the Dharma transmission and at that time was full of magical ritual. Yet, at the heart was the simple statement that our suffering was caused by people wanting the world to be something it was not.

Confucianism, being ultraconservative, rejected Buddhism as foreign influence. As the three religions began a dance through dynasties and centuries, it's tempting to oversimplify the picture. Chan was not the only school of Buddhism competing for temple space in China. Buddhist missionaries from just about everywhere traveled the silk road and tried to start their own practice with their own scriptures and understanding. Occasionally an Emperor would look around and realize those big, lavish Buddhist temples were not paying taxes and the people should be worshiping him instead of Buddha, and this Buddha guy was foreign anyway so what were they doing in China, and a new round of persecution would begin. Then eventually another Emperor or his favorite concubine would rediscover the benefits of the Dharma, and whatever monks survived or happened to be visiting China at the time would be welcomed back.

Into this strange marriage of religion and politics stumbled Bodhidharma. The rest, as they say, is history.

• I am Buddhist/Taoist. The two work hand in hand due to the fact that the wordless teaching of all enlightened beings is the exact same. Taoism teaches life expansion and non attachment also ways of improving health through Spiritual alchemy. Things like sexual transmutation which changes sexually energy into reserve energy for the body, Energy manipulation for using only what is necessary (Chi Gong), and walking meditation (Tai Chi Chaun) so that one can exist as self and reserve energy use while going through daily life. Taoism teaches to reach the Tao which is the same as saying the state of SELF. Taoism can teach you how to expand your life to great lengths in order to further develop yourself spiritually and bring you closer than usual to becoming awakened and help with the process while Buddhism can teach you how to conduct yourself and give a comprehensive path to awakening. There is a-lot more to it but I would recommend doing your own personal research. I know of a couple of very great and informative books on the subject of Taoism that are very cheap, 2 dollars or less on amazon. I can give anyone a link if they are interested. I have 7 years on a Taoist path and 3 in Buddhism.

Blessings my friends
    Florian

• this says it all.....
    I practice all three,
    Uber tripple gem LOL..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinegar_tasters
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    Taoism and Buddhism merged together, creating Zen/Ch'an, in China. Many of the early Ch'an masters used the term "tao" quite a bit in their writings. Alan Watts wrote a great deal about this in his book "The Way of Zen".
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Another great one is the Tao of Zen by Ray Grigg.

It is said that Zen is Taoism disguised as Buddhism.

For me, they go hand in hand.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Another great one is the Tao of Zen by Ray Grigg.

It is said that Zen is Taoism disguised as Buddhism.

For me, they go hand in hand.
    Shinto is the Japanese for of Taoism (shin-tao). Zen must've been influenced by Shinto. That's very interesting, "ourself". Thanks for the post.

• Would it not be odd if Buddhism and Taoism were not essentially similar, seeing as how we all live in the same world? As someone said earlier, same moon, different finger. I find it difficult to see any important differences underneath the contingent details.
    The cynic says same finger same back scratch. At least as craving crows.

• 'Zen is Taoism disguised as Buddhism.'

I LOVE THIS SENTENCE!!

Metta,
  • The clincher is Lao Tsu' statement 'True words seem paradoxical'. This statement could only be rigorously true if Nagarjuna's 'theory of emptiness' and doctrine of 'two truths' or 'worlds' is true.

• I have the book of changes tao ti ching, it has a shiny blue silk cover, dont understand a word of it but it sounds good :)
  • "There are undoubtedly differences in philosophy between that expressed by the Buddha and that expressed by Lao Tzu. But the similarities are striking, and it can be difficult to do a straight comparison, because Lao Tzu wrote in an enigmatic, riddling manner, while the Buddha taught (if the Pali texts are to be believed) in a very straightforward way. "

Some people would disagree with this first sentence, conrad, so maybe 'undountedly' was putting it a bit strongly. There is a massive difference in emphasis, of course, and this explains the different use of language. That there are any similarities at all is completely remarkable. I mean, what are the chances?

I conclude that the use of language is so different because one talked little about soteriology while the other talked about little else. The Buddha could say simply that we should abandon all our views, since this is enough for soteriology. Lao Tsu, being more of a metaphysician, wanted to point us towards the correct one, and says in an enigmatic, riddling manner things like 'True words seem paradoxical'. This is not his choice, however, but a true statement than cannot be further simplified.

If a person understands this simple statement then he or she will understand the philosophical foundation of Buddhism. as presented by Nagarjuna in his Fundamental Verses .

I suppose that to some people this will seem an idiotic claim. but it is not difficult to confirm it for ourselves. It just requires a slight interest in metaphysics. Maybe also a belief that Noble Nagarjuna correctly explained the philosophical foundation of the Buddha's teachings, as had been foretold during the Buddha's lifetime.

This is important, since one consequence of Nagarjuna's doctrine of Two Truths is that true words will seem paradoxical.