Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Goldie Hawn's Unoriginal Book

Telly03Telly03 Veteran
edited January 2012 in General Banter
I was flipping through the channels yesterday and stopped at a "Dr Oz" show with Goldie Hawn, and since I like Goldie I stopped to see what she had to say.

She was promoting her new book called "10 Mindful Minutes" She pretty much tells that your life will be better if you meditate daily, be mindful in your activities, and be compassionate to others... although she changed the wording from meditate to mind breaks, mindful to focus, and compassionate to kind.

I thought this was in a way brilliant to take a time proven idea, change the names but keep the concept, and sell it as yours, but it also sounds wrong not to give credit to the source, at least she didn't in the Oz show, I have not read the book.

http://www.current-movie-reviews.com/39039/tv/tv-recaps/2012/01/12/dr-oz-today-1122012-stay-young-like-goldie-hawn-recap/

Comments

• Goldie Hawn is a self-proclaimed Buddhist and has advocated for mindfulness practices in grade schools and other areas for many years. I don't think this is her stealing an idea. It's her trying to reach a larger audience by transforming the teachings into a rhetoric that people not associated with Buddhism will understand.
  • Goldie Hawn is a self-proclaimed Buddhist and has advocated for mindfulness practices in grade schools and other areas for many years. I don't think this is her stealing an idea. It's her trying to reach a larger audience by transforming the teachings into a rhetoric that people not associated with Buddhism will understand.
    Ahh I didn't know that Talisman, thanks. I would hope though, and perhaps she does, mention her source of knowledge in her book.

• Of course it would be nice, but whatever. What matters is the dharma. The Buddha doesnt need recognition.
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    Just had a quick flip through her book on Amazon. While many concepts that have their roots in Buddhism, and while she quotes many authors etc, nowhere did I see any tip of the hat to any Asian sources or Buddhism specifically. If she is such a "self proclaimed Buddhist", I find it odd that she would not acknowledge Buddhism in either the Foreword or in the References, but neither, which were both available in the Amazon preview, contain any mention whatsoever.

• interesting
  • While it may seem that she's taking credit for the Buddha's wisdom, it may be more innocent than that. It may be that she's promoting these practices in secular settings (schools, for ex.), so mention of religion would have to be left out of it. It sounds like she's putting a secular spin on it in order to reach more people. There are a lot of conservative people in this country who would be turned off at the mere mention of Buddhism, but who would be glad to read about a practice of kindness and mindfulness. If someone can take a stealth approach to turning people on to Buddhist practices and values (which have a lot in common with Christian ones), then, is that a bad thing? I don't know-just thinking out loud.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    First, I wasn't aware that Buddha had a copyright or monopoly on meditation.

Secondly, the book is based on a secular curriculum developed by the Hawn Foundation and Scholastic, Inc. The curriculum has nothing to do with promoting Buddhism.

I've probably read 30 books over the years about Buddhism. It isn't often that those books, many written by monks, tell me anything significantly new. Rehash, different ways of explaining what's mostly come before.

There's [little] new under the sun.
  • @Dakini could not say it better myself.
  • While it may seem that she's taking credit for the Buddha's wisdom, it may be more innocent than that. It may be that she's promoting these practices in secular settings (schools, for ex.), so mention of religion would have to be left out of it. It sounds like she's putting a secular spin on it in order to reach more people. There are a lot of conservative people in this country who would be turned off at the mere mention of Buddhism, but who would be glad to read about a practice of kindness and mindfulness. If someone can take a stealth approach to turning people on to Buddhist practices and values (which have a lot in common with Christian ones), then, is that a bad thing? I don't know-just thinking out loud.
    Can't argue... In the big picture, it's all good.

• If she is such a "self proclaimed Buddhist", I find it odd that she would not acknowledge Buddhism in either the Foreword or in the References, but neither, which were both available in the Amazon preview, contain any mention whatsoever.

Lord Buddha wouldn't be upset or angry. Why should any of us?
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    I am so busy practicing on myself that if a celebrity can spread my aim of mindfullness, compassion, and meditation, then I dont feel right critisizing them for not saying Buddha's name. Buddha is not a jealous Buddha.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I would agree! I can attest to that!:)
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Goldie Hawn is American and will be targeting a US audience, no doubt. Now you've got to remember that in large swathes of the USA atheist, or anything to do with another religion such as Buddhism is seen as negative; very negative in some places.

I also doubt Goldie Hawn is after making more money or getting more fame, so I would assume she is trying to reach a bigger audience using skilful speech. Very Buddhist IMO.
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    If she is such a "self proclaimed Buddhist", I find it odd that she would not acknowledge Buddhism in either the Foreword or in the References, but neither, which were both available in the Amazon preview, contain any mention whatsoever.

Lord Buddha wouldn't be upset or angry. Why should any of us?

I certainly am not upset. Anyone (and I'm a fan of Ms. Hawn) who spreads the Dharma in any form is OK by me. And I hadn't thought about the secular angle, and that's a very real issue.

I put together a curriculum of Vipassna meditation for use by prisoners in the local max security prison. Clearly there were elements of Dharma mixed in the program, but I was very careful not use the word Buddhism, or convey the concept of Buddhist teachings anywhere in the program, as this would have seriously prejudiced my course in this dominantly Christian country.
  • Sock it to me.