Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Beautiful Bardo Song

SileSile Veteran
edited January 2012 in Buddhism Basics
Hello all! I found a beautiful bardo song some time ago on the CD "Bardo Prayers" sung by Bhakha Tulku Rinpoche and Sonam Dadul, and it is so lovely.

You can hear an exerpt here: http://www.amazon.com/Wake-Up-Prayer-Ky ... B00270ANJY

I became so taken with this song - it's no wonder they say the young monks love to go around singing it while doing their morning chores. Here's a transcription of the version sung by the gentlemen above, if you want to sing along:

http://db.tt/gsfLy7WH

That's a link to the file in my Dropbox, but you don't have to have Dropbox to access it. Let me know if you have any problems!

Comments

• DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    The link says "We're sorry. The Web address you entered is not a functioning page on our site"
    :(
  • SileSile Veteran
    Fortunately someone on another forum asked who the author of this prayer was, and I realized I had no idea! This is what I found...

Our prayer comes from the The Great Liberation by Hearing in the Intermediate States [English title: Tibetan Book of the Dead], composed by Padmasambhava, revealed by Karma Lingpa, translated by Gyurme Dorje, edited by Graham Coleman with Thupten Jinpa), introductory commentary by His Holiness the Dalai Lama.

This particular version contains extra material, including Chapter 1 which introduces preliminary practices. Authorship of these preliminary practices is attributed to Nyinda Choje, Karma Lingpa's son and first lineage holder; they were said to have been written down by Lama Nyinda Ozer, the second lineage holder. The editor's introduction to our Kye Ma Kye Hud song gives:

In its original Tibetan this preliminary practice is beautifully written in verse. In the monasteries and lay households of the practitioners of this cycle of teachings, it is usually sung melodically in the early morning, before any other practice or activity is begun. Often the young monks sing the opening verses of this poem as they go about their morning duties.

I'm so glad they asked the question - it's good to have found out more about one of my favorite songs!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    The link says "We're sorry. The Web address you entered is not a functioning page on our site"
    :(
    ...Worked for me......