Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist ethics during a Zombie attack

RichardHRichardH Veteran
edited March 2012 in General Banter
I listen to books on cd while working sometimes... and am currently listening to "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies", wherein the Bennett girls have to navigate the social mores of the time, the taciturn Mr. Darcy, Bingley's sisters, and a Zombie plague. It is looking like the payoff will be Mr Collins getting eaten by his wife.

The only way to dispatch Zombies is to behead them, which is of course unthinkable with the living. But since zombies are the dead who have been reanimated by a mysterious plague, what are the ethics around dispatching them? It would be possible to avoid having to do this with the old style slow Zombies ("Night of the living dead"). They are easy to outrun...or even outwalk, and you would have to have your leg trapped under a fallen beam or something for them to lurch up to you and devour your brains. The new fast Zombie ("28 Days Later") are a different story. they cannot be outrun, and will relentlessly pursue you.

So as a Buddhist how would deal with a Zombie attack?

Thanks.

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited March 2012
    It really depends on the zombie. This article spells out 5 possible ways a zombie could happen. In some of them they are dead, in others they are alive. In 28 days later the 'zombies' aren't actually dead, they are living people under the effects of a rage virus. So I don't think there is an issue with dead zombies. But the ethics of a live 'zombie' is tricky, you can't reason with them, because of the theoretical scale you can't help them. So is it ok to kill another sentient being to protect yourself?

I think an apt analogy would be living in a genocidal war zone. Or a real life example we can look to is the Tibetan Buddhist response to Chinese brutality. In general the Buddhists there didn't fight back.

So I guess my thought is if they are dead, chop away :sawed: . If they are alive, hide and pray.

Love the topic. :)
    Just to be a little buzz kill on the whole notion of a zombie apocolypse, here's something else for you're enjoyment.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7-scientific-reasons-zombie-outbreak-would-fail-quickly.html
  • edited March 2012
    A zombie attack is entirely possible, assuming the zombies are that of 28 Days Later type zombies, rather than Walking Dead type zombies. A zombie outbreak consisting of the walking dead that have died and reanimated is impossible. Our best bet for anything even close to a zombie attack would be a disease that inflames the brain causing violent behavior, like that found in rabies, but with a lower mortality rate and increased infectiousness. Although, we'd only have to hold out several weeks passed the initial outbreak before most zombies have died of starvation. So, I doubt that the damage would be really that bad (of course bad, but I doubt it would be the complete collapse of human society).

Anyways, lets look to Buddhism for the answer. We are told to not harm or kill sentient beings. What is a sentient being? A sentient being is an organism that can feel pain and/or is conscious/aware of its existence. Would a zombie fit that criteria? I guess that's debatable.

Assuming that zombies are living humans that are ill and have just lost their minds, I don't think they are truly "conscious" or are aware of their existence or would really acknowledge or feel pain; but I think it would really entirely depend on what exactly the virus/plague does to the person.
  • Did bingley's sister turn into a zombie? That girl had issues! I would have turned mrs. Bennett first! Sorry, richard.

I'm a jane austen fan. One of the main reasons I got the job at the retirement community I work at...they have a book club. Although this book would appall them.

Oh, @zombiegirl? (Whistles)
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    If I had a gun, I would deal with a zombie the same way I'd deal with a bear charging at me in attempt to eat me.
  • I think decapitation would be adequate...not a bullet to the head. Lol...@zombiegirl...you mean go all resident evil on their ass!

Also, the small white or blonde girls die first in horror flicks...

I'm out of ammo!
  • Also, the small white or blonde girls die first in horror flicks...
    Actually, it's the black guy.
  • I think ending the zombie's life falls under self defense.
  • Lol... hahaha!
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Well, usually the idea behind a bullet/decapitation is that the brain is still somewhat functioning as the control center. Disable the brain (by bullet, mallet, axe, cut off the head, etc.), and disable the zombie. I just feel like decapitation would be incredibly difficult.
    UNLESS you're talking about the voodoo hexy sort of zombies like in Night of the Living Dead where the dead tissue is actually reanimated. In the event of some crazy necromancing stuff, um, I don't even know what to say. We're all screwed?
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Did bingley's sister turn into a zombie? That girl had issues! I would have turned mrs. Bennett first! Sorry, richard.

I'm a jane austen fan. One of the main reasons I got the job at the retirement community I work at...they have a book club. Although this book would appall them.

Oh, @zombiegirl? (Whistles)
    Oh Mr.s Bennett must be devoured... along with Lydia.

But this guy.... He is Zombie chow..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWx7AF8B0R8

From the wonderful BBC production.

• A very sharp blade...or twine rolled between your fingers would be good.

I don't know about you guys, but if zompocalypse comes I will be very very upset. I have survival gear only in the event of Katrina or nibiru...ah! How many bug out bags can you build?
    edited March 2012
    It really depends on the zombie. This article spells out 5 possible ways a zombie could happen. In some of them they are dead, in others they are alive. In 28 days later the 'zombies' aren't actually dead, they are living people under the effects of a rage virus. So I don't think there is an issue with dead zombies. But the ethics of a live 'zombie' is tricky, you can't reason with them, because of the theoretical scale you can't help them. So is it ok to kill another sentient being to protect yourself?

I think an apt analogy would be living in a genocidal war zone. Or a real life example we can look to is the Tibetan Buddhist response to Chinese brutality. In general the Buddhists there didn't fight back.

So I guess my thought is if they are dead, chop away :sawed: . If they are alive, hide and pray.

Love the topic. :)
    Oh.. so it isn't so straightforward.... Sure, with the animated dead... just chop away. But the living are surely sentient under there somewhere, despite the rage virus, and despite their uncanny valley doll-like movements. The only option is to build a suitable anti-Zombie fortress, where you can engage in heroic research for a cure... maybe even testing antidotes on yourself. Then find a clever way to release it into the general Zombie population..

or maybe I'm being over optimistic.

• Hmm...
  • ... Hmmmm
  • Hee! Lol...well "I am legend " isn't exactly zombie related but it is a rage virus.
  • just twirl a flower at them
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    I'd like to think that I wouldnt take life in any circumstances - very easy saying that when I live in a relatively safe country and all my killing is vicarious...

I suspect however that if push came to shove, I would do my utmost to protect those that I love first and myself second, with anything and everything available to me at that time...

If gaming is a precedent to be relied on, I'd probably have a pack-a-punched HK-21... here comes the train!
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited March 2012
    I would make a spiky baseball bat that could blast waves of metta, of course. Will blow the zombs straight away. Also, I've got a very heavy bell that I could throw at their heads in case of emergency. Don't know if they like essence, but always can try to Mc Guyver a stink bomb out of that. After that chop off their heads with a sharp edge of a Buddha statue. (you know, the pointy bit) We can flee together, of course some Buddhist monasteries also make great anti zombie bunkers:
  • Gee, worrrying about zombie attacks is pretty low on my list of things that I worry about.
    That is my Buddhist approach.
    edited March 2012
    Gee, worrrying about zombie attacks is pretty low on my list of things that I worry about.
    That is my Buddhist approach.
    Laugh now my Alpaca friend.. When I hear you pounding at the gate of my anti-zombie fortress, desperate for five more minutes of life.....

edited March 2012
    Here it is the anti zombie house.

http://www.nextgenupdate.com/forums/general-discussion/383099-finally-made-anti-zombies-house.html
    Not only a safe anti-zombie house... but a very nice modernist design. Polished concrete floors .......open concept kitchen...... and an original Diebenkorn ..unframed. :)

• I don't know how I feel about those glass doors on the first floor.

• I don't know how I feel about those glass doors on the first floor.

It looks like there are steel shutters that slide down. They are probably automatic, and connected to a motion sensor system. That is also probably bullet proof glass.

• Gee, worrrying about zombie attacks is pretty low on my list of things that I worry about.

:lol:
    edited March 2012
    Well, it is true... a Zombie attack is way down the list of things to worry about.... especially with talk of increased werewolf activity lately.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    ;) we might just be past the worst of it...

http://mysticinvestigations.com/supernatural/?p=542
    Well, it is true... a Zombie attack is way down the list of things to worry about.... especially with talk of increased werewolf activity lately.
    Not to mention robot apocolypse.

• ZeroZero Veteran
    @richardH - your last two made me properly laugh out loud... :lol: