Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

how to be mindful of emotions like anxiety?

edited March 2012 in Diet & Habits
If I'm in an anxiety causing situation, how should i deal with it mentally? Say that it's five minutes before i have to give a big speech, should i try to observe my emotions carefully or should i concentrate on breathing and block out all thoughts?

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    To deal with anxiety prior to a public performance or speech, do deep meditational breathing. It calms the nervous system. Also, focus on how important your message is, how much you want your audience to get and understand your message. Focus on your mission.
  • As @Dakini says, the breathing learned in meditation is so important. Breathe!

Don't block out thoughts or anxieties, but let them fade as you focus on your breath. Try to do a 5 breath inhale-hold for 8-and then 8 exhale breaths. The exhale is crucial. Experiment with this and adjust for what works.

Visualization is also important when it comes to working through a particular anxiety. Try to imagine the crowd and work through the anxiety as you breathe.