Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Consciousness - material or non material?

ToshTosh Veteran
edited May 2012 in General Banter
I've been doing a little bit of reading about the scientific view of consciousness, and it appears to me that the even though consciousness cannot be fully explained, that from a mainstream science point of view that consciousness is the result of material form.

For example (not that I understand all of this):
http://www.quantumconsciousness.org/presentations/whatisconsciousness.html

I understand the traditional Buddhist explanation from Dependant Arising (i.e. consciousness is non material so cannot be produced by matter, and the main cause of consciousness is a previous moment of consciousness, which goes onto explain rebirth), but I would like to hear your views on this, especially with regards the apparent conflict of Buddhist doctrine and science, just out of interest.

Thanks.

Comments

• Stuart Hameroff is a well known consciousness researcher. You may have seen him in the film "What the {bleep} Do We Know?". He is an anesthesiologist, so by definition he has a lot of interest in the nature of consciousness. He makes some interesting points in that piece, to be sure. But a big part of the problem is, medical science can't even tell you, nor can they agree among themselves, what the hard core definition of "alive" is. Until and unless we can do that, it seems to me that defining consciousness is a moot point. And I don't believe science will ever be fully able to state with factual certainty that consciousness disappears (or doesn't disappear) when the physical body dies.

I don't necessarily think Hameroff's work is at odds with Buddhism. I feel like it complements our understanding, but it doesn't explain it fully - not by a very long shot.
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited May 2012
    A good friend of mine is a talented film maker and also has been university lecturer in film, as well as being a Buddhist practitioner who like me has had the same teacher who has a science background.
    The film you mention, Mountains, was used by my friend as an example of how clever editing of some of the interviews with scientists who contributed to the film distorted their facts to coincide with the distorted idea of quantum physics presented by the film to support a mystical viewpoint, which was the overall aim of the film's makers.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited May 2012
    I don't think it was so much a distortion as simply acknowledging the fact that much of quantum physics simply can't be explained. One way to explain it is that it's mystical. I don't see any particular contradiction between the two. There are lots of possible explanations of why things are as they appear to be, but none is complete nor without holes.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    I understand the traditional Buddhist explanation from Dependant Arising (i.e. consciousness is non material so cannot be produced by matter, and the main cause of consciousness is a previous moment of consciousness, which goes onto explain rebirth), but I would like to hear your views on this, especially with regards the apparent conflict of Buddhist doctrine and science, just out of interest.
    Traditionally in Buddhism form and consciousness are said to be mutually dependent, whereas I think science would say that consciousness arises in dependence on form.

• ToshTosh Veteran
    I think science would say that consciousness arises in dependence on form.

Actually, I've read the link I provided closer and it says that one view is that consciousness depends on brain function and then it goes onto say that there's problems with this view and goes onto provide a list of the problems.

Subjectivity
    Time flow
    Free will
    Other stuff

Have a look, it's right at the beginning of the link.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2012
    I think you have to either say that thoughts are epiphenomena of neurotransmitters flowing around...

Or the universe itself is consciousness and is created by mind. In this model the physical world is form skhanda and is like a dream. I said like not is.
  • I don't think it was so much a distortion as simply acknowledging the fact that much of quantum physics simply can't be explained. One way to explain it is that it's mystical. I don't see any particular contradiction between the two. There are lots of possible explanations of why things are as they appear to be, but none is complete nor without holes.
    Next time I see him I will ask about the name of the scientist whose interview was edited ... I am sure I also have seen an article written about about it, if anyone is interested in it any further.

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Mainstream science may have a theory, but as it is yet not solidly proven, it is not worth a lot. Scientific theories are only valid if they agree with experiment, this is the basis of science. Until than, it is just a guess. And even if things agree with experiment, they can still be wrong because the researchers don't look good enough and neglect things. This has happened often, for example with Newtons laws disproven by Einstein.

However, in Buddhism we can use meditation to see what the mind is, and test for ourselves that it is not material.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited May 2012
    If you haven't heard about David Chalmers, I recommend reading him or watching some of his You Tube video's. It doesn't seem to me that he has a comprehensive view of what consciousness is but he's very good at exposing the flaws in the materialistic assumptions about consciousness. Here's a short video of him talking about the current state of consciousness metaphysics.

Here's a good interview that lays out his views.

• ToshTosh Veteran
    Thanks, Person, I watched them both and it was interesting.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I'm not sure how it could be considered physical if it takes up no space.

I don't believe all energy is physical.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    This seminar on Mind and Reality explores this question. Its really long but utterly comprehensive. Check out the link and see if you feel like jumping in. Click on each panel link in the yellow box on the right for different video lectures and responses.

http://www.mindandreality.org/seminar.html
  • I don't think they are in disagreement yet. One is saying that consciousness is the result of material form, while the other is just saying that it is not of material or physical form. Both are still correct.
  • I understand the traditional Buddhist explanation from Dependant Arising (i.e. consciousness is non material so cannot be produced by matter, and the main cause of consciousness is a previous moment of consciousness, which goes onto explain rebirth), but I would like to hear your views on this, especially with regards the apparent conflict of Buddhist doctrine and science, just out of interest.

Thanks.

Hey Tosh

I thought the cause of consciousness is outlined in DO:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.148.than.html

When you say the main cause of consciousness is the previous moment, where does the Buddhist sutras state this? And as to whether it is non material, there is also intellect/mind consciousness no?

Just some thoughts.

Abu
    edited May 2012
    I thought the cause of consciousness is outlined in DO:
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.148.than.html
    Unfortunately the suttas are inconsistent on this point, some describe consciousness and name+form as mutually dependent.
  • porpoise

Is it not that consciousness IS eye (sense) meeting form (object) - hence eye consciousness arises.

This is consciousness according to Buddhism, ditto for ears, nose, body, mind etc.

Voila - welcome to this world of consciousness which you and I reside in, AS....
    porpoise

Is it not that consciousness IS eye (sense) meeting form (object) - hence eye consciousness arises.
    That's right, but this is a different approach from the one in DO.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited May 2012
    I didn't think so. This is a definition of the Buddhist definition of consciousness.
    DO talks about the chain, dependent origination.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2012
    The form skhanda is empty and contains everything in the material world... The mental skhandas are empty..,
    DO talks about the chain, dependent origination.
    DO isn't straightforward where consciousness is involved - have a look at this sutta:
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.065.than.html
    The form skhanda is empty and contains everything in the material world... The mental skhandas are empty..,
    Right. And?...... :p
  • DO talks about the chain, dependent origination.
    DO isn't straightforward where consciousness is involved - have a look at this sutta:
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.065.than.html
    Straightforward - another relay of dependent origination

_/\_