Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Monk Kills Dog with Axe!

ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
edited May 2012 in General Banter
This are really disturbing and sad news that a found. :(

On December 14, 2011, at 02:14 AM at a temple near ‘Choen yong sa’ in Choup-dong, Jean-gu, Busan, a Buddhist monk stumbled into an alley. He heard a dog barking behind the wall, and climbed over it.
After climbing the wall, he made his first attack on Jang-goon.
Moments later, the monk grabbed an ax from the temple 30 to 40 meters away.
He climbed over the wall again and struck Jang-goon twice in the head with the axe.
Jang-goon’s skull was fractured and he was rendered unconscious.
The monk hit him repeatedly even after the dog collapsed.
Jang-goon’s owner is in his 70′s.
He had been living alone with Jang-goon for over 10 years. Jang-goon was like a loving son to him.
Jang-goon’s owner immediately reported the attack to the police, but no charges were made because the police said that a monk would get little or no punishment.
Jang-goon was left on the ground to bleed all night long. He didn’t receive medical treatment until he was found by his owner the following morning.
He was immediately brought to a nearby pet hospital, but it was too late.
Jang-goon was euthanized and the owner held a funeral for him.
The chief priest of ‘Choen yong sa’ said the monk who attacked the dog was not well known.
His Buddhist name is ‘Gwang-woon’ and he had been living in the temple for just a few days at the time of the attack.

Please go with caution to the link below, some images can be shocking.
http://www.careanimalrights.org/2012/05/11/monk-kills-jindo-with-axe/

We are in samsara after all, :(

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2012
    moved from 'Current Events' to 'General Banter'.

'Current Events' is a forum for discussing any news pertinent to any newsworthy occurrences within Buddhism, and affecting or touching upon the different issues within different Schools and Traditions, such as, for example, HH the DL's resignation from Politics.....

And it should be 'current'.

I personally see no constructive point in discussing this or bringing it to the forum's attention - a year after the event....
  • Woah that is pretty OTT. I would assume that the dog was barking and making this monk angry which is by no means a reason to slaughter an animal. Maybe the monk took this teaching too far 'A dog which barks a lot is not considered a good dog, and a man who talks a lot is not considered a good man'

• chanrattchanratt Veteran
    Wouldn't it be ironic if the monk was mad because the dog kept distracting him from meditating on MU?
    I know, distasteful but I love animals.
  • If this story is true, regardless of when it occurred - it is very sad. And that person who did this is sick.

May the dog be well, always, wherever he is.
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    And that person who did this is sick.
    I agree, but I think it'll be even more sick if his teacher/master let's him stay at the temple. If buddhist monks do stuff like this and get away with it, then the world has got no chance..

May the dog be well, always, wherever he is.
    He can't be well.. He's DEAD, all because of a stupid Buddhist MONK. Who's suppose to be following precepts. Its a ******* joke!
    The whole thing in fact!

Stuff like this happens in life, but I never thought a monk would do such a thing! Shame on him, shame on his temple. Disgusting..

• These stories will dramatise his identity - a "monk". But a robe does not make a "monk" -- that is something every Buddhist student should genuinely understand.

Namaste.
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    These stories will dramatise his identity - a "monk". But a robe does not make a "monk" -- that is something every Buddhist student should genuinely understand.

Namaste.
    But hes still a MONK living the Buddhist PATH.
    MONKS have more to time to understand the path, live the path, meditate on the path etc etc etc...

So when someone becomes a MONK. I believe they should know the path better than us..... OBVIOUSLY NOT THOUGH.

like i said, disgusting.

My "2 year old would know not to do that to a dog...
    Just proves that 'some' people dont need buddhism to teach them the way.
    other however, dont need buddhism, they need to be LOCKED UP. SICKO
  • Hi zenmyste

You seem fixated on believing that people don't need Buddhism and consistently take examples to prove your point :)

FWIW I agree, not everyone needs Buddhism, but also, for a practicing student who wishes to know Truth, to attain genuine peace and liberation, to know the world and what IT IS - then Buddhism is an exemplary and proven path in this Way.

This article is plainly inflammatory because it does not understand or appreciate it is talking about cultural Buddhism, countries (probably like Thailand also) where being a monk is a cultural and role play, not necessarily reflecting the genuine paths or even understandings of Buddhist practice.

Buddhist practice is something else altogether, it IS the road leading to genuine (not fake, not half hearted, not belief based) liberation and compassion.

For students with that will, it offers the way.

Now as to this story, this is a sick man who has killed a dog within a culture and context that we are not familiar with. To dramatise and make a case of it is more of a reflection of a lack of genuine understanding than anything else IMO.

I am happy that your 2 year old would know better, and in fact most people do. This person is probably just a sick person who has taken residence in a monastery in Korea. We cannot judge that but if you really cared, you would probably want to uproot your own greed, hatred and delusion first. There are and have been a million thousand activists and 'carers' in this world who have perpetrated more harm than good.

That is why clarifying yourself and your own intentions is a good start for any well meaning heart, in my opinion.

Best wishes,
    Abu
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    First, let me say that the monk was completely wrong to do what he did.

But to provide a tad bit of balance on the other side of the story, if you have lived Asia -- and Tom, I would guess you have seen this in Thailand -- people have a complete disregard for others in terms of letting their dogs bark continuously, chase people, and often just run wild. And the general attitude I have seen in Thailand and Malaysia is, "Tough shit."
  • These stories will dramatise his identity - a "monk". But a robe does not make a "monk" -- that is something every Buddhist student should genuinely understand.

Namaste.
    But hes still a MONK living the Buddhist PATH.
    MONKS have more to time to understand the path, live the path, meditate on the path etc etc etc...

So when someone becomes a MONK. I believe they should know the path better than us..... OBVIOUSLY NOT THOUGH.

like i said, disgusting.

My "2 year old would know not to do that to a dog...
    Just proves that 'some' people dont need buddhism to teach them the way.
    other however, dont need buddhism, they need to be LOCKED UP. SICKO
    Just because someone is in robes does not give them super powers, everybody is human at the end of the day, everyone subject to their past and present karma. You do not know the full story, he could have a mental disorder or he may have just blown a fuse bigtime.. Nobody is perfect but of course that does not make this kind of thing right, my point is monks and nuns are people.
  • First, let me say that the monk was completely wrong to do what he did.

But to provide a tad bit of balance on the other side of the story, if you have lived Asia -- and Tom, I would guess you have seen this in Thailand -- people have a complete disregard for others in terms of letting their dogs bark continuously, chase people, and often just run wild. And the general attitude I have seen in Thailand and Malaysia is, "Tough shit."
    To be honest from what I have seen the Thais on the whole seem to be tolerant to noise and annoying things, they just get on with life. We have a few dogs who often will bark and bark at the back of our house, nothing ever gets done. But I have not seen the whole of Thailand and it's people so..

There are a lot of soi dogs though, that's a big problem.
    First, let me say that the monk was completely wrong to do what he did.

Oops, I forgot, people here on this forum have told me in Buddhism there is no such thing as "wrong".

• First, let me say that the monk was completely wrong to do what he did.

Oops, I forgot, people here on this forum have told me in Buddhism there is no such thing as "wrong".

Too dualistic? lol
    Most common in Thailand is the poisoning of dogs.
  • You mean being bit? Yea I always get a little edgy walking past soi dogs, if you carry a big stick though they know the score.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2012
    The Monk was a human, a dipstick and a very poor example of his school. I understand why he could have been ordained but if his master didn't insist on him facing the legal consequences of his actions, it really shows you how incompetant his teacher is.
  • SileSile Veteran
    Hi zenmyste

You seem fixated on believing that people don't need Buddhism and consistently take examples to prove your point :)

FWIW I agree, not everyone needs Buddhism, but also, for a practicing student who wishes to know Truth, to attain genuine peace and liberation, to know the world and what IT IS - then Buddhism is an exemplary and proven path in this Way.

This article is plainly inflammatory because it does not understand or appreciate it is talking about cultural Buddhism, countries (probably like Thailand also) where being a monk is a cultural and role play, not necessarily reflecting the genuine paths or even understandings of Buddhist practice.

Buddhist practice is something else altogether, it IS the road leading to genuine (not fake, not half hearted, not belief based) liberation and compassion.

For students with that will, it offers the way.

Now as to this story, this is a sick man who has killed a dog within a culture and context that we are not familiar with. To dramatise and make a case of it is more of a reflection of a lack of genuine understanding than anything else IMO.

I am happy that your 2 year old would know better, and in fact most people do. This person is probably just a sick person who has taken residence in a monastery in Korea. We cannot judge that but if you really cared, you would probably want to uproot your own greed, hatred and delusion first. There are and have been a million thousand activists and 'carers' in this world who have perpetrated more harm than good.

That is why clarifying yourself and your own intentions is a good start for any well meaning heart, in my opinion.

Best wishes,
    Abu

Very much agree with your statement here, Abu.
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    moved from 'Current Events' to 'General Banter'.

'Current Events' is a forum for discussing any news pertinent to any newsworthy occurrences within Buddhism, and affecting or touching upon the different issues within different Schools and Traditions, such as, for example, HH the DL's resignation from Politics.....

And it should be 'current'.

I personally see no constructive point in discussing this or bringing it to the forum's attention - a year after the event....
    Sorry for put this in the wrong section, the inccident ocurred in 2011 but got to the public recently, as you can see en the date in the link, I see this in Google News only last night when I put buddhism in the search.

Anyway I will be more careful from now.

With metta
  • Don't be afraid posting here, Arthur :)