Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is enjoying Art and Music wrong?

LostLightLostLight Veteran
edited June 2012 in Arts & Writings
I'm not very attached to any worldly possessions at this point in my practice of Buddhism. There is one thing that I'm worried about, though, and that is my interest in Art and Music. I enjoy composing/listening to musical works and I also enjoy looking at artwork or pictures of nature. Are these things that I must learn to give up in order to achieve Nibbana, or is this something I can continue enjoying as long as I do not let them cloud my judgement?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    The latter.
  • I think art can be seen as a beautiful reflection of human potential .... as with music ..... but they are passing delights that should not be grasped onto :-) x
  • SileSile Veteran
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    edited June 2012
    In a way, it saddens me that people on meeting Buddhism get this idea that they have to renounce this or that. It makes Buddhism seem disconnected from life. Maybe some schools advocate this, but not all. There are teachings in Buddhism which take the opposite view. So go ahead and enjoy your art and music and sex, it can be your path.
    MaryAnneLostLight
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited June 2012
    In the beginning of the clip, HH mentions that artists & musicians, in his opinion, have the responsibility to serve humanity - I think one could take from that that art & music are not considered inherently problematic. You can always turn even "appreciation" into something that helps others, though, even if it's just forwarding a piece of music to someone you think will be helped by it in some small way, or buying a piece of art from someone, which obviously helps that person make a living, etc. You could also seek out artists who make a point to serve, as HHDL mentioned, find those whose music you like and consider buying a few of their CDs, etc.

I don't know if there's a musical equivalent to Paul Newman (food products) for example, but I always feel good buying Paul Newman's spaghetti sauce (on lazy nights!) as opposed to plain old spagetti sauce, since the profits go to charities (and the product is generally superior!)
    LostLight
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I'm not very attached to any worldly possessions at this point in my practice of Buddhism. There is one thing that I'm worried about, though, and that is my interest in Art and Music. I enjoy composing/listening to musical works and I also enjoy looking at artwork or pictures of nature. Are these things that I must learn to give up in order to achieve Nibbana, or is this something I can continue enjoying as long as I do not let them cloud my judgement?
    I don't know where some people get the idea that Buddhism/Nibbana is about the cessation and avoidance of enjoyment.

Attachment/craving =/= enjoyment.

Playing or listening to music is actually probably a very good exercise in mindfulness. But if you feel as if you "must" have music to "survive," that's problematic.
    MaryAnneLostLight
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited June 2012
    @LostLight
    Are these things that I must learn to give up in order to achieve Nibbana
    You might have to give them up, but not stop doing them.
    Bunks
  • tikaL2o6tikaL2o6 Explorer
    It's OK :). As a lay follower you commit no offense.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I think the idea is to not get caught undervaluing meditation etc. relative to the entertainment one seeks. Personally, I think recharging the batteries could be a good thing.
    Sile
  • to express one self in art to listen to music is fine its about the present moment not worrying if your doing wrongs ,and the teacher one may listen too ,as a good one would be one whom says to give,what your doing, loving kindness,arts part of my life and work ,and as monks have said music, can ease the mind into a peacefull meditation ,and im to thinking some of the awnswers to your question here must be written by very strict monks,but iam a lay follower
  • Depends on the vehicle you choose to follow and depends on your circumstance.
  • Thomas Kincaid and yanni are wrong
    TrillionamandathetexanMaryAnne
  • If they're wrong then I don't want to be right.