Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do you have any personal traditions/rituals that you do every day/week? Something you look foward to

zenmystezenmyste Veteran
edited June 2012 in General Banter
Doesnt have to be buddhist related.
Could be anything

Anything that you like to do daily or weekly that keeps you going throughout the week.
Something you look foward to etc etc

Thanks in advance.. x

Comments

• I look forward to spending time at my community's pool- sitting in the sun, warming my joints and bones :) swimming, and doing my water exercises. I try to do this three days a week during the summer, weather permitting. It makes me feel good, eases my pain for a while (arthritic knees) and is really the only exercise I can do.
    In the colder months, I try to get to a local gym 4-5 times a month to use their pool, and especially their steaming hot jacuzzi, for the same reasons.

Other than that, taking care of my husband, and my pets on a daily basis is pretty much my "routine". I don't meditate regularly or even frequently for quite a while now. But I do read and/or consciously sit and relax and contemplate for at least 30-60 min each day.
  • contemplate for at least 30-60 min each day.
    :) I like this one!
    Thanks for your comment.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I do some sort of workout every day. 3 days a week I strength train, which I greatly enjoy. The other 4 days my activity varies, depending on weather. I walk, hike, run, do yoga, go snowshoeing, mow the lawn. Getting up and moving is the only thing that motivates me to get moving during the day.

Every morning I wake up and do a longer meditation session. Then I try to do some Buddhism study/reading. Once my kids are up I start my day. I try to get in shorter meditations during the day, sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't.

Every evening at 10pm we put the dog in her kennel for the night and we take the ferrets out for a couple hours of loose play time. It's most enjoyable watching them play and tumble and explore. Every second is an excuse to have fun, I like that about them.

Every day my husband and I cook dinner together, and I really enjoy that time with him.
  • Every morning I wake up and do a longer meditation session. Then I try to do some Buddhism study/reading.
    Very inspirational, Thanks..
    Every day my husband and I cook dinner together, and I really enjoy that time with him.
    Brilliant. :)

Thanks for your comments.. x
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Running; I like the feeling once I've stopped; it's a 'Buddhistic like calm' feeling. It's very much being in the present moment!

It doesn't last for long though!
    :p
  • Running; I like the feeling once I've stopped; it's a 'Buddhistic like calm' feeling. It's very much being in the present moment!

It doesn't last for long though!
    :p
    Good one. thanks Tosh!
    Im hoping to get back into running every morning. :)
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Just to be this threads wet blanket, I would suggest that the examination of our personal traditions/rituals can usually expose an ego oasis we were not aware of.

Most folks will not really go there, but if you try dropping a ritual/ tradition/ habit for one week, it can be a facinating spiritual lesson for why it is ours.
    The trick is to do nothing in its absense but relax with awareness for one week into whatever space and time that ritual/ tradition/habit formally took up. This practise can be as troublingly uncomfortable as it is fruitful and because of that is only advisable for someone who presently makes their meditation practise, their priority.
    It can certainly result in long time meditaters, experiencing the underbelly of our rituals/traditions and habits in ways they hadn't anticipated.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I have voices talking to me all day and at night when I wake up. This has basicly forced me to meditate all day, though I am pretty distracted by the voices.

Morning coffee.
    Checking forum.
    NA beer
    Smoking a pipe
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Jeffrey, You are an inspiration to me.