Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What I learned about internet "trolls".

LostLightLostLight Veteran
edited July 2012 in General Banter
During one of my life encounters, I was placed around some mentally disabled kids. It was then I discovered that they had taken advantage of a thing called the internet. Over time, I found out that some were very keen on youtube. They're still people, but they have the mentality of someone who is much younger. They listen to what they are told and believe it and preach it loyally. The comments I've seen posted by these guys made me realize then that many of the supposed trolls on the internet could be kids like these. Many people fight against trolls and respond with hateful speech.

My word of advice is simply "don't feed the troll". I certainly wouldn't want to find out I was yelling at someone with a disability. If you see a hateful comment, just let it pass. Hope I've helped shed a new light on the position of the internet trolls.

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I suppose that's possible. But most of the trolls I've connected with (unfortunately) are rather sophisticated fools.
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    Don`t feed the troll is the best thing to do but sometimes the most difficult. :)
  • Trolls have their proper Internet place. On YouTube they are not uncommon especially where hot issues are involved, for example, was Mario Lanza better than Enrico Caruso? People that piss us off—well, we need not receive their venom in our begging bowl. Personally, I would never kick a troll off a good Buddhist forum. Eventually they get tired of people not reacting to them and leave. Incidentally, I bow to some trolls. They teach me tolerance.
  • I think if you're going to dedicate your time to picking fights over the Internet you probably do have some psychological issues, whether you're an obviously disabled child or an adult who could benefit from some simple anti-depressants or something.

It's definitely not a healthy behaviour.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Did anyone here see Trollhunter? ;)

I think, as with any label, it's difficult to apply with skill. There are people who are simply passionate about a subject (sometimes overly so--but "overly" is in the mind of the participant, and simple disinterest in a topic does not mean others are "overly" interested in it), people who are paid to post information in the interests of some hiring authority such as a company, political party, or government; people who just like a good debate; people who thrive on fighting, etc. etc. etc.

The challenge in using "troll" is that any time someone doesn't like a topic, they can accuse someone engaged in the topic of being a troll.

Often I think of trollish behavior as including the posting of the same cut-n-pastes, over and over, especially if it's occurring on multiple forums. The problem is that that is also the behavior of the paid poster (or perhaps we include paid posters in the "troll" category?)

I think, in the end, "troll" is very hard to use deftly, as a word, and though I certainly appreciate its humorous application and imagery, I think it probably runs the risk of misuse and has an unfortunate effect of stifling conversation. "Do not feed the troll" can also be a pretty un-Buddhist ethic (as in, "ignore this person - they're worthless"). At the same time, I do recognize that pure spam might be excepted from this. And I do recommend Trollhunter.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited July 2012
    During one of my life encounters, I was placed around some mentally disabled kids. It was then I discovered that they had taken advantage of a thing called the internet. Over time, I found out that some were very keen on youtube. They're still people, but they have the mentality of someone who is much younger. They listen to what they are told and believe it and preach it loyally. The comments I've seen posted by these guys made me realize then that many of the supposed trolls on the internet could be kids like these. Many people fight against trolls and respond with hateful speech.

My word of advice is simply "don't feed the troll". I certainly wouldn't want to find out I was yelling at someone with a disability. If you see a hateful comment, just let it pass. Hope I've helped shed a new light on the position of the internet trolls.
    @LostLight, definitely appreciate, too, what you are saying about kids with problems. I think the youth of the poster makes itself visible, in most of those types of posts (as a way to distinguish it from more mature posters), but I realize some kids are pretty precocious...

• The challenge in using "troll" is that any time someone doesn't like a topic, they can accuse someone engaged in the topic of being a troll.
    And that would be feeding the lil critter.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited July 2012
    There's a secondary issue I see, which is the posting of misinformation/disinformation.

Does one address it, or not? Does one counter propaganda, or ignore it?

The answer, I think, is very subjective and depends on each reader's interest in (what they feel is) the disinformation; those not interested in that particular subject won't care about countering it one way or the other, whereas those interested will probably prefer to counter it, rather than let it hang out in cyberspace unopposed.

I still think it's dangerous use the label "troll" widely, because behind each poster is a real person, and every real person's opinion and feelings count.

If there is a true "troll," I would limit that label to someone who posts spam, nonsense characters, swear words with no context--someone who is absolutely, positively not trying to participate in a conversation.

There are definitely other problem-posters ("problem" being a subjective term, again!), but I think it's informative to use better labels--hired posters, for example, are not the same as juvenile F-bombers spraying forum-graffiti, or as spambots, etc.

Interestingly, my definition of true trolldom seems to match my definition for (the only) information I would ever personally delete--true spam, or floods of garbage-character posts, or the occasional juvenile F-bomber.

But I realize that in general "troll" seems to be used as a substitute for "people who's posts we don't like," or "people who are often annoying," and I think that's problematic, given its subjectivity.

Would love to hear others' thoughts on this! Someday cybersociologists and cyberlinguists will pen tome or two on this subject, to be sure ;)
  • A troll can be seen as someone sharing a hateful opinion that is world's different from the usual view. It can be used loosely; I just wanted to think of a word to make this post easier to understand, as opposed to saying "hateful comments".

There are millions of people on the internet, and sometimes those angry or just downright stupid posts you see can very well be that of a child or a mentally disabled person. The experience fortified my belief that you shouldn't attack the people who make those comments; sometimes the people on the other end really don't know any better. They aren't always the ignorant monsters they make themselves out to be
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    Feeding trolls is itself a form of trolling.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited July 2012
    It's very difficult to know, because sometimes people simply have a lot of questions, or are very fearful, and it takes a long time to have a discussion. Misconceptions can take a lot of patience to unravel, especially if one considers the substantial amount of time and effort which has gone into establishing the misconception in the first time. We're at a point now where literally decades of disinformation have taken root to the extent that some new Buddhists have been raised, literally, as victims of that misconception, fully believing them to be true. Even with evidence in hand, it's hard to climb out of the groove that has been worn.

It took me years to understand and realize, for example, that Ellen G. White (Adventist prophetess) did not receive her writings from God, but instead from other authors who came before her (!). Working out such knots of the mind is not easy, or quick. But with enough patience, the truth usually manages to break free. Well--"usually" might be a bit optimistic.
  • Feeding trolls is itself a form of trolling.
    And let's not overlook the fact that trolling is a form of trolling. :)
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    Before pointing out other "trolls", look at the troll within.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    Lucky for us that there are guards on the bridge to keep the trolls away.
    Well on this bridge anyway.
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran
    Everyone has a troll nature, which is our true nature. It will be realized after meditation ... and some YouTube posting.
  • Kidding aside, an internet troll is someone who has no real interest in the subject of discussion but only seeks to amuse themselves in disturbing others. Like in so many things I'm sure it's not all black and white. A troll most likely has at least some small interest in the subject, unless they entered the forum completely at random, which is unlikely.

The best course, in my opinion, is to simply stay on topic or pursue your own interest in the topic and not let yourself get distracted.

An interesting aspect of trolling specific to Buddhism is the added dynamic of 'non-attachment'. It's not uncommon for people on Buddhist forums to deliberately try hooking others, to get a better sense of them. Online "Zen Masters" are particularly popular targets for this kind of activity. You might assume that it would be difficult to hook a Zen Master. Or you might assume that a Zen Master who is easily hooked is not a Zen Master.
  • FEED THE TROLL FEED HIM FEED HIM FEED HIM! pretty soon when he sees your name he runs for the hills cause he knows you baked him some more cookies that your going to force him to eat.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Did I miss something?

I'm not sure I've seen any trolls on this site.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Well it's not like they're here for long, there are moderators after all.
    Sometimes they're a troll from the beginning; sometimes they become one.
    The most memorable troll, for me, was one of these latter types... that came on and interacted relatively normally for a while, but then got nasty when others wouldn't confirm/affirm their wrong views. Instead of either adapting or leaving, they started causing problems for everyone instead.

I wouldn't name names, but there sure have been trolls.
    This forum isn't exactly new either, so it's like sunspots over a course of time.
  • Well it's not like they're here for long, there are moderators after all.
    Sometimes they're a troll from the beginning; sometimes they become one.
    The most memorable troll, for me, was one of these latter types... that came on and interacted relatively normally for a while, but then got nasty when others wouldn't confirm/affirm their wrong views. Instead of either adapting or leaving, they started causing problems for everyone instead.
    Adapt to the right views or leave?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Adapt in some way (which doesn't have to be changing their views... they can simply stop posting inappropriately), leave, or end up becoming a troll.

The necessary "adapting" is to follow staff direction. If admins and moderators have to step in and handle the situation, that means it's inappropriate for this environment. It's much the same as the police pulling you over at that point, except it's always a warning that you get. If you fail to heed the warning you may lose your license (not be allowed to participate on the forum).

Trolls come in different varieties, so I'll leave it there.
  • Cloud,

Just remember that whenever you claim someone is trolling you're saying that they have little or no real interest in the topic. If you're honest with yourself you'll find that this is hardly ever the case in a Buddhist forum.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    It's not their interest that counts, it's their conduct. If they're acting inappropriately they're warned by the staff. If they fail to heed that warning (or warnings) they'll be banned. This forum isn't about absolute free speech, but some people mistakenly think it is. It's open to the public, but it's privately owned. What's considered inappropriate by the staff is, by definition, inappropriate. There are other actions that admins/mods take such as directly dealing with the inappropriate material, but it has to come down to the offending member changing their conduct. We're not going to keep cleaning up the same mess. That's where it all falls down regarding "trolls"... they don't comply. They'll argue and yell and scream, and continue doing what they're told not to do.

There aren't many people that are permanently banned. Some are banned temporarily. Considering the large number of visitors to this forum, it's positively miniscule... probably nothing compared to other forums. We're generally a very nice bunch here, very accepting, but there are still things which are inappropriate. Members are not privy to a great deal of what actually is going on as far as moderation is concerned, including the interactions between staff and members (which generally resolves the situation without any further action necessary). There's not much to see because it's handled. This forum is kept as nice as it is, as friendly and open and non-discriminatory, because of the hard work of the administration and the moderators.
  • It's not their interest that counts, it's their conduct. If they're acting inappropriately they're warned by the staff. If they fail to heed that warning (or warnings) they'll be banned. This forum isn't about absolute free speech, but some people mistakenly think it is. It's open to the public, but it's privately owned. What's considered inappropriate by the staff is, by definition, inappropriate. There are other actions that admins/mods take such as directly dealing with the inappropriate material, but it has to come down to the offending member changing their conduct. We're not going to keep cleaning up the same mess. That's where it all falls down regarding "trolls"... they don't comply. They'll argue and yell and scream, and continue doing what they're told not to do.

There aren't many people that are permanently banned. Some are banned temporarily. Considering the large number of visitors to this forum, it's positively miniscule... probably nothing compared to other forums. We're generally a very nice bunch here, very accepting, but there are still things which are inappropriate. Members are not privy to a great deal of what actually is going on as far as moderation is concerned, including the interactions between staff and members (which generally resolves the situation without any further action necessary). There's not much to see because it's handled. This forum is kept as nice as it is, as friendly and open and non-discriminatory, because of the hard work of the administration and the moderators.
    You're describing rudeness or belligerence, not trolling. I will point out once again that a troll doesn't care much, or at all, about the subject of discussion. They only seek to amuse themselves by disturbing others, getting a rise out of them.

Religion is something that can be very deeply felt so tensions can run high when discussing it. If that tension leads to some rude comments it's not trolling. In fact it can be the very opposite, because the subject is felt to be very important. By publicly calling someone a troll who is in this situation you are attacking the person rather than what they are saying, which is an ad hominem fallacy. You'e invalidating what they've said by claiming that their only purpose is to get a rise out of others and upset them, and that they have no real interest in the subject.

Maybe an example with help. I saw a post the other day in the articles section that looked like a good example of a troll. In the RV Living – A step toward a minimalist lifestyle article someone posted this comment:
    You "enlightened" buddhists are such a crock of s#*t. An RV exemplifying Buddhist values. About right, as an RV is the most soulless invention ever created by man.
    This person did not seem at all interested in discussing the issue or even trying to understand.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    No, that's not trolling, that's flaming.
    There's a difference.
    A troll will stick to topic, but persistently argue, labour the point, insist they're right and use patronising, belittling and provocative remarks to maintain an engagement of discussion between themselves and other members.
    the best way to deal with a troll is firstly to report them, and secondly, treat them to the attention they deserve.
    Ignore them.
    It's amazing how short a discussion is when only one person is discussing....
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    @ozen, Heated discussions with some rudeness or belligerence have happened, and that's not at all what I'm talking about. Mods may step in and tell people to cool down if it's too much, or close the discussion, but what I'm referring to are members who are specifically told by the moderators that they are over-the-line and need to stop whatever it is they're warned about (I'm not just talking about trolls), and they continue to be over-the-line rather than reigning themselves in. They are non-compliant, unable to follow the direction of the forum staff, and become a nuisance that ruins the type of environment we're trying to maintain.

There is a line. There are some people who think they haven't crossed it, or that it should be "moved"... but this is a private forum, as I've said, and we are here to enforce it. If you don't like it... well I'm sorry about that. But I think you're really talking about different situations than I am. You'll just have to trust that the staff knows what they're doing to keep this place clean.
  • No, that's not trolling, that's flaming.
    There's a difference.
    Yes, but not a significant one.
  • ... (I'm not just talking about trolls) ...
    Oh, I thought trolling was the topic.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Yeah it is, and trolls are the ones who are mostly the problem, but I was speaking about the general principle by which people end up being banned at all. That covers trolls as well.

It's easy to get philosophical about who's really a troll, about their intentions, but in practice it's about their behavior and inability to change that behavior when it's not appropriate for this forum (in particular).
  • Good thing no one is banned for going off-topic! ;)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    It's not so much off-topic as pertaining to the topic from a moderator perspective. ;)
    Two moderators in fact, and you. It's all good.
  • Well, hopefully the moderator perspective has a better idea of what trolling is now.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    It's actually a moot point what we think is a troll and what we don't... that's just defining certain behaviors as "troll". What we're concerned with are a number of inappropriate behaviors, whatever you wish to call the offending member. That's the perspective I was speaking from, not a debate about what a troll "is" or "is not". I think your perspective was coming from a debate about who's really a troll and who isn't... so ships passing in the night, as they say.

I've given you the bird's eye-view on moderation (that includes "trolls"), basically.
    That being said, and said plenty enough, I bid you adieu..... :D
  • Telly03Telly03 Veteran
    I'll give it to the Mods here, they are actually pretty tolerant.
  • I think your perspective was coming from a debate about who's really a troll and who isn't...
    Rather, I was attempting to point out the distinguishing characteristic. It always helps to understand things, usually.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    . This forum is kept as nice as it is, as friendly and open and non-discriminatory, because of the hard work of the administration and the moderators.
    I think the moderation is very good here. It's not as easy as it looks.

;)