Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just when I thought Tibetans had seen the worst of the Chineese...

BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
edited August 2012 in Buddhism Today
China plans £3bn theme park in Tibet
by Tania Branigan, 6 July 2012

Lhasa, Tibet (China) -- Chinese officials have announced plans to build a £3bn Tibetan culture theme park outside Lhasa in three to five years.

Authorities see developing tourism as crucial to the economic future of Tibet and have set a goal of attracting 15 million tourists a year by 2015, generating up to 18bn yuan (£1.8bn), in a region with a population of just 3 million.

But Tibetan groups have expressed concern that the surge in tourism has also eroded traditional culture and that the income has economically benefited Han Chinese more than Tibetans.

Full story here: http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?id=46,10998,0,0,1,0

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Before we condemn the Chinese I think we all need to look in our own backyard.

In my country (Australia), we have basically wiped out an entire civilisation in a little over 200 years.......sad :(
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran
    As disrespectful as a theme park might be, it pales in comparison to the brutal repression that the Chinese have subjected the Tibetans to. On the other hand, I see a potential silver lining. A theme park is no good without tourists, so the Chinese will have to open up Tibet if they hope to succeed economically with a theme park.
  • I'm confused. What's so evil about a theme park? As a way to generate some economic activity, it beats mining the mountains or building polluting factories and using the Tibet population as cheap slave labor. That's what big corporations do all the time to third world countries.

Shouldn't we be happy it isn't another Nike shoe factory? What can the Chinese invest in building in Tibet that would make everyone happy, except building more temples?
  • SileSile Veteran
    Bunks said:

In my country (Australia), we have basically wiped out an entire civilisation in a little over 200 years.......sad :(

But the point of any of these issues isn't to condemn - it's to try and save people who still have a chance. Past crimes don't justify current ones; otherwise, instead of prosecuting murderers, we'd simply say, "Well, other murders have happened in the past, so what can we do."

The Chinese Communist Party's persecution of Tibetans has escalated sharply in the past five years.

The purpose of this theme park is to continue to wipe out all trace of genuine Tibetan identity by replacing it with kitsch, and flooding Lhasa with even more Chinese workers.

One Chinese report on the effect of the China-Tibet railway concluded that crime, disease and social instability have soared since the train began operation - as has environmental degradation:

http://www.cablegatesearch.net/cable.php?id=07CHENGDU297

Like many cities under Chinese government control, Lhasa suffers from a massive influx of unregulated, unregistered migrant workers.
    BonsaiDoug
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    What does the Tibetans want? Anybody asked them that?
    Cinorjer said:

I'm confused. What's so evil about a theme park? As a way to generate some economic activity, it beats mining the mountains or building polluting factories and using the Tibet population as cheap slave labor. That's what big corporations do all the time to third world countries.

Does the residents want economic activity?

/Victor

• BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    Bunks said:

I just saw something recently on the "I'm Sorry Day" (or whatever it was specifically called) for the stolen generation of Australian Aboriginals. I had no idea that stuff like that had been happening in such recent times. It was heartbreaking. America is, of course, historically famous for it's mistreatment of it's original inhabitants with it's Manifest Destiny doctrine. Any modern nation-state has a legacy of this type of activity. This is why nationalism is the most infantile of diseases. I could never in good conscious fly my country's flag, nor would I ever expect anyone else to fly their country's flag, yet we still do. And we still fight wars over political boundries to say which flag can fly where. It's absolute insanity and the result of short-sightedness and the miss-use of history as a tool. What happens in Tibet is also heartbreaking. Why must commerce go everywhere? An economic model that "needs" to have a limitless idea of progress and an ever-expanding market, isn't an economic model at all.... that's called WAR.

*sigh*

Cinorjer said:

I'm confused. What's so evil about a theme park? As a way to generate some economic activity, it beats mining the mountains or building polluting factories and using the Tibet population as cheap slave labor. That's what big corporations do all the time to third world countries.

Shouldn't we be happy it isn't another Nike shoe factory? What can the Chinese invest in building in Tibet that would make everyone happy, except building more temples?

Nothing. That would be my answer to your question. Build nothing.
  • Cinorjer said:

Nothing. That would be my answer to your question. Build nothing.
    But then China would be blamed for neglecting the Tibet economy. In the same way, they built schools for the Tibet children and for the first time, the Tibet children actually had secular schools to attend instead of Temple religious studies. And China is accused of undermining the Tibet culture. Because the old temple rulers didn't allow secular schools they couldn't control and use to turn out more monks. Don't get me wrong, I think this is the no-win situation that arises when a country invades and wants to run another culture. I just don't see it as evil China engaged in a secret plan to destroy lovely Tibet. That Tibet theocracy was even more brutal in some ways. Doesn't give China the right to dictate how they live, though.

It's more complcated than the black and white image we often get.
  • edited August 2012
    @Cinorjer

It is very complicated. I actually really like the current Dalia Lama, I think for someone who came from where he did he is a very progressive leader in many ways. However, the rule of the lamas in Tibet before China was just as bad as China's current rule. Theocracy is always inherently oppressive whether it be Christian Europe in the Middle Ages, Islamic Iran, or Buddhist Tibet.

The question, I think we need to ask now, is what do the average people of Tibet want? It should be up to them to decide the future of their country, not China and not the Lamas. The best solution that even has a chance of happening is for them to create a secular democratic Republic and have the lamas become strictly religious teachers. Let the lamas teach the Dharama, which is what they should have been doing all along, not ruling the country.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Anyone here ever been to Tibet and could give us some first hand comments instead of just what they've read in the press?
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited August 2012
    There wasn't a "rule of lamas" in Tibet, and the situation in Tibet before Chinese rule was absolutely, positively, nothing like China's current rule. My grandparents lived in Tibet. Tibet was like any other nation--power was spread between local leaders, regional leaders, religious leaders, and others. Nomads were often under the rule of no one. There was nothing magically different or mysterious about Tibetan society.

People in pre-occupation Tibet didn't commit suicide by the hundreds, and they didn't starve by the thousands. There is absolutely no comparison between life in Tibet before 1951, and after.

Lamas were not "ruling the country." It's funny - on one hand, Chinese propaganda says there was "no such country as Tibet," that Tibet was just a patchwork of many cultures and ethnicities; then, on the other hand, that same propaganda machine says Tibet was a "total theocracy," ruled from border to border by evil lamas--95% serfs, 5% serflords (where do the autonomous nomads fit into this picture?) Can't have it both ways.

These so-called "evil lamas" didn't drop out of the sky - they were the brothers, uncles, sons and nephews of people in their region. As far as power structure, it would be more accurate to talk about family hierarchies than religious ones.

Tibet had a very religious society, certainly though, and that's how the people wanted it. Funny how we feel very secure in stating someone should "not have a religious society," as if that's somehow automatically more admirable than letting them have the religious society they themselves established and were very clearly supporting, voluntarily, at the time of Chinese invasion.

The crux is that culture and religion are often inseparable; what revisionists decry as an "unforgivably religious" society was just Tibetan culture, in the same way that Native Americans had a "religious" society which was really just their own culture. Did one burn incense in the morning because one was religious, or because one was Tibetan? Did Native Americans thank the spirit of the animal they killed for food because they were at the "mercy of a theocracy" or because that was simply their way?
  • Did I ever say they were evil? No, but Tibet was feudal nation for much of it's history. Feudalism is an oppressive system by its very nature and Tibet was undoubtedly Feudal. That doesn't justify China's actions at all, and I do think this current Dalai Lama would have made many of the reforms the Chinese did without the damage they caused.

However, the fact that the first time Tibet had secular schools shows the strong influence religion had over the state. I want the people of Tibet to be able to choose their leaders, their future, but if some of them want their children sent to secular schools they should have that right, if some of them want to raise their children in another religion or no religion they should have that right. Like I said I think a secular elected government, with the lamas focusing on teaching the Dharma would be the best solution.
  • Bunks said:

They run tours on Ayers Rock. They twisted the arm of some aboriginal leaders to allow climbing tours of it. Last I heard, which was a long time ago. And the US has Mt. Rushmore, carved out of the sacred peaks of the Lakota people.

*sigh* The more samsara changes, the more it stays the same. :(

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Bunks said:

I just saw something recently on the "I'm Sorry Day" (or whatever it was specifically called) for the stolen generation of Australian Aboriginals. I had no idea that stuff like that had been happening in such recent times. It was heartbreaking. America is, of course, historically famous for it's mistreatment of it's original inhabitants with it's Manifest Destiny doctrine. Any modern nation-state has a legacy of this type of activity. This is why nationalism is the most infantile of diseases. I could never in good conscious fly my country's flag, nor would I ever expect anyone else to fly their country's flag, yet we still do. And we still fight wars over political boundries to say which flag can fly where. It's absolute insanity and the result of short-sightedness and the miss-use of history as a tool. What happens in Tibet is also heartbreaking. Why must commerce go everywhere? An economic model that "needs" to have a limitless idea of progress and an ever-expanding market, isn't an economic model at all.... that's called WAR.

*sigh*

Amen to that!!

Aside from the apology to the indigenous Australians, one of the Australian state governments (South Australia from memory) recently made a public apology to all the teen mothers and children from the 1950's, 60's and 70's who were "coerced" into giving up their kids for adoption during that period.

• BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran

However, the rule of the lamas in Tibet before China was just as bad as China's current rule.

I'm sorry, but that is Absolute Tosh.
    The lamas never killed over a million people.
    Here's a nice list of Tibetan deaths since the 1950s Chinese occupation.
    There are even a variety of sources, so you can pick and choose what death-toll you like to believe.

Highest estimates:
    Tibetans killed by the Chinese since 1950: 1,200,000
    Died in prisons and labour camps between 1950 and 1984: up to 260,000
    1959 Uprising: 430,000 died
    Killed in Reprisals: 87,000
    Our Times: 1,200,000
    Courtois: 600,000 - 1,200,000
    Walker, Robert: 500,000-1,000,000 (all ethnic minorities)

Lower estimates:
    Rummel: 375,000 democides inflicted on ethnic minorities
    ... incl 150,000 Tibetans
    Margolin, "China" in Courtois, Black Book of Communism, p. 546
    The population of Tibet plunged from 2.8 million in 1953 to 2.5 million in 1964 [ a loss of 300,000]
    Porter: 100,000 to 150,000.
    Eckhardt:
    1950-51 War: 2,000 civ.
    1956-59 Revolt: 60,000 civ. + 40,000 mil. = 100,000
    Harff and Gurr: 65,000 Tibetan nationalists, landowners, Buddhists killed, 1959
    Small & Singer say that China lost 40,000 soldiers in Tibet between 1956 and '59.

• @JamestheGiant none of us are saying the occupying Chinese are blameless. Comparing atrocities and human rights violations between the ultra-conservative third world feudal theocracy and the brutal Communist machine that replaced it to decide which deaths were better is kinda weird. I don't want China to continue to occupy Tibet but I certainly don't want the so-called enlightened monks back in charge, either.

Fun fact. When China invaded this last time, one of their first acts was to finally make slavery illegal and free the many slaves that the richer Tibetan households maintained. They also abolished feudalism, where the peasant was ruled by the local landowner and not allowed to even move without permission. The rulers were not chosen or elected. Since the rulers were busy "educating" the deliberately ignorant peasants that only the enlightened monks should be in charge, people accepted this. Is this the Tibet government and culture you want reestablished if China leaves? I'd rather the little guy over there gets a fair shake for once.

• @sile I'm certainly not saying the old Tibet rulers were evil. I"m saying theocracies are by nature ultra-conservative and the people in power, both secular and religious, will always have one overriding goal of maintaining power and that makes theocracies, even Buddhist ones, bad for the people being ruled. That is a universal truth as powerful and obvious as the dharma. That is why theocracies are always bad, because the rulers can claim their rules flow from God or Buddha or Allah. You can't change divine rules or rules from within. Tibet was no different. That's why it was stuck as a third world feudal society after the rest of the world continued on.

Even opressive nations are full of nice and well-meaning people, and that includes the halls of power. But when you rule because your family ruled or because the priests and monks say you are destined to rule, instead of having to listen to the people under you, then we have problems.

And that includes democracies. Once the election becomes a machine that churns out which ever winner has the most money and powerful connections, we become a republic in name only.

Cloud
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited August 2012
    To JamestheGiant's list I'll add this:

Gedhun Choekyi Nyima was just 6 years old when he was recognized by His Holiness the Dalai Lama as the 11th reincarnation of the Panchen Lama, one of Tibet’s most important religious leaders. Just after this he and his family were taken into custody by the Chinese authorities and he has not been seen since.

April 25th, 2012 was his 23rd birthday. This will be the 17th birthday he has spent in captivity.
  • Okay totally switching gears, what I know of the terrain of Tibet it is much like Colorado except higher elevation and even more fragile. Living myself in a high desert and having many fires here this year makes me think simply environmentally. Pushing the environment to support a theme park that is supposed to have attendance in those figures, providing water and waste treatment and food that will have to be brought in by truck, I can only imagine the negative impact. I have seen it with a few old mining towns that have been turned into gambling vacation spots, I know it has actually spurred a lot of economic activity and here the towns made the decision as I understand, but remembering those places before they became only a tourist gambling location is hard.

Did I ever say they were evil? No, but Tibet was feudal nation for much of it's history. Feudalism is an oppressive system by its very nature and Tibet was undoubtedly Feudal. That doesn't justify China's actions at all, and I do think this current Dalai Lama would have made many of the reforms the Chinese did without the damage they caused.

However, the fact that the first time Tibet had secular schools shows the strong influence religion had over the state. I want the people of Tibet to be able to choose their leaders, their future, but if some of them want their children sent to secular schools they should have that right, if some of them want to raise their children in another religion or no religion they should have that right. Like I said I think a secular elected government, with the lamas focusing on teaching the Dharma would be the best solution.

And what's different about ANY other economy in the modern world? You may not view capitalism as oppressive but most people I know seem pretty oppressed by the debt that they carry around. They seem down right imprisoned by it most of the time. You can argue that they made the choice to have this debt, but most people don't understand this. They just think that they are being a part of the culture that they live in, which is a culture that encourages you to buy,buy,buy.... ANY economy is oppressive because they all seek to control the way you conduct your daily life. In the case of tibet, why trade one system of control for OUR system of control? So WE feel better about how they are controlled?

Wake up people. Economies are fake. They bear no real resemblence to what people actually need or how able they are to get what they need. Were Tibetans fed, clothed, and sheltered before the Chinese got there? Yes. Does putting a flashing neon sign up on every street corner improve that? No.

• SileSile Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Cinorjer said:

@JamestheGiant none of us are saying the occupying Chinese are blameless. Comparing atrocities and human rights violations between the ultra-conservative third world feudal theocracy and the brutal Communist machine that replaced it to decide which deaths were better is kinda weird. I don't want China to continue to occupy Tibet but I certainly don't want the so-called enlightened monks back in charge, either.

Fun fact. When China invaded this last time, one of their first acts was to finally make slavery illegal and free the many slaves that the richer Tibetan households maintained. They also abolished feudalism, where the peasant was ruled by the local landowner and not allowed to even move without permission. The rulers were not chosen or elected. Since the rulers were busy "educating" the deliberately ignorant peasants that only the enlightened monks should be in charge, people accepted this. Is this the Tibet government and culture you want reestablished if China leaves? I'd rather the little guy over there gets a fair shake for once.

The myth of Tibet as a historical anomaly, "5% serflords and 95% slaves" suffering under feudal theocracy" has been debunked even by Chinese scholars as 1) inaccurate and 2) not technically possible.

For hundreds of years, Chinese traded happily with Tibetan "slaves" for furs, medicines, etc. In turn, the "slaves" much appreciated Chinese cloth, tea, and other goods. Only in 1949 did China suddenly discover their "slave" status and decide to "liberate" them. Women played a significant role in the tea trade between China and Tibet (see Peter Goullart: Princes of the Black Bone. München: Paul List Verlag, 1962.)

Dartsendo, a big trading town, in the early 1930s--a few years before my grandparents got there:

Tibetan slaves/serfs/peasants were actually farmers, herders, craftsmen, salt traders, shamans, monks and nuns, exporters/importers (traveling sales[wo]men!), nomads, and so forth--the standard palette of vocations for that region and time period. The hierarchy of power was no more fantastical or unusual than any other regional society. A little-mentioned fact is that there were notable female spiritual teachers, often not in robes, who had a great deal of influence in some areas.

In 1949, the societal power imbalance in China was actually notably more severe than in Tibet - China had increasingly centralized power, massive cities (with all the highs and lows of society that brings), and far greater imbalance between the sexes in many cases.

Rural, herding societies in general offered more freedom to women, for example, than "refined," urban cultures. Tibetan women, for example, were not crippled by their parents from birth by having their feet cruelly bent in half and bound, as were many Chinese girls (my grandma was a traveling nurse and saw all manner of feet in China, Tibet and Turkestan!)

Tibetan girls had been educated in the literary arts for over 500 years when China finally gave thumbs-up to female education with the establishment of Jan Gwong school in Hong Kong in the 1800s.

One of the oldest nunneries, Rakhor (Lhasa, 12th century) was destroyed in July of 1997, and all nuns forcibly expelled.

No society has ever been perfect, so trying to say a society should be invaded because of imperfection is always a non-starter. Regardless, to say Tibetans were imprisoned in droves under feudal leaders is completely inaccurate. Forget the state-published history books (of any nation) and talk to real people, or check books by independent authors.

The monastic system was populated by people from the local community - family members. Monks and nuns were were brothers, sisters, aunts and uncles of people in the community, supported by their community, and supporting it back in return. People have a right to their own way of doing things.

Bhutan had the same basic culture as Tibet, and has modernized nicely. If the old way of doing things offends our sensibilities, it still doesn't give is the right to invade and forcibly change it, but Bhutan is proof that Tibet would have done just fine on its own--and without a foreign-imposed famine and holocaust.

As for actual slavery, that myth too has been debunked (again, by Chinese scholars). There simply was no infrastructure nor enslaving force in place to enslave the number of people the Chinese propagandists claim were enslaved.

Another thing the propagandists have forgotten - where are the Hui, Chinese, Salar, Mongguor and other "minority" slaves? How do they fit into the 95%/5% split - were they serflords, or serfs? This is never mentioned, and imho is one of the biggest errors in Mao's revisionism (since the missing minorities contradict his claims of an extensively multicultural Tibet, and the claims of a multicultural Tibet contradict the 95% serfs claim).

I highly recommend reading this 2009 Chinese analysis of historical Tibetan society - I don't believe there is a translation yet, but Google Translate will at least give the gist, and the historical population figures cited are quite extensive. The comments in response to the article are enlightening (and humorous) as well: http://www.rxhj.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23802

The author concludes, "Based on the above discussion, I think that the so-called "serfs accounted for more than 95% of old Tibet's population" claim is unfounded--there is no material to support this assertion. Not only that, many other aspects of the old Tibetan serfdom arguments are untenable."

Tibet wasn't perfect - neither was it remarkably imperfect.

RebeccaSMinusHumanity
  • @sile It sounds like you've made quite a study of Tibet. Considering what is presented to the Western world is mostly biased to one side of the other, it's hard sorting out the truth. Have you considered visiting Tibet as a tourist at least, or would that be a huge problem because of Chinese control?
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Cinorjer said:

@sile It sounds like you've made quite a study of Tibet. Considering what is presented to the Western world is mostly biased to one side of the other, it's hard sorting out the truth. Have you considered visiting Tibet as a tourist at least, or would that be a huge problem because of Chinese control?

I would love to visit Tibet, with all my heart. I don't know if I could at the moment - I've used my real name on forums, so it's not likely I'd make it past Kai Tak airport, lol. My Tibet stories have much of their origin in things my grandparents, uncle and father have told me, as well as their colleagues in Lanchow (some of whom stayed behind through the takeover), but those stories definitely inspired an interest in the region in general. The Adventist church made forays into Tibet and Turkestan between the 1930s and 1949. That's the time period most of our family lore comes from, though we did return to Hong Kong in the 1970s. Fortunately, missionaries had a habit of writing up stories from the mission field and sending them home for young Adventist children to devour in Sabbath school ;) It's kind of funny to find a family story lurking in the archives, compare the two, and see which version did the most exaggerating, lol. My grandfather once tried, unsuccessfully, to win Tibetans over to the Lord with his cornet (that one's true).

I would love to go back, and especially go west and over the border. My uncle is astounded at the changes in Lanchow - he's been back there, but not to Tibet or Turkestan.

I think a picture of historical Tibet is not really that murky - because it was so remote, travelers and visitors tended to write pretty extensively about what they were experiencing. Between the Tibetan historians themselves, Indian scholars, pre-1949 Chinese travelers and traders, Western missionaries and botanists, and the occasional undercover Japanese monk, Tibet is actually better-described than many other remote areas of the world, I think.
  • Dakini said:

Bunks said:

They run tours on Ayers Rock. They twisted the arm of some aboriginal leaders to allow climbing tours of it. Last I heard, which was a long time ago. And the US has Mt. Rushmore, carved out of the sacred peaks of the Lakota people.

*sigh* The more samsara changes, the more it stays the same. :(

After everything else the U.S. did to the Native people I think Mount Rushmoore was the last

Did I ever say they were evil? No, but Tibet was feudal nation for much of it's history. Feudalism is an oppressive system by its very nature and Tibet was undoubtedly Feudal. That doesn't justify China's actions at all, and I do think this current Dalai Lama would have made many of the reforms the Chinese did without the damage they caused.

And what's different about ANY other economy in the modern world? You may not view capitalism as oppressive but most people I know seem pretty oppressed by the debt that they carry around. They seem down right imprisoned by it most of the time. You can argue that they made the choice to have this debt, but most people don't understand this. They just think that they are being a part of the culture that they live in, which is a culture that encourages you to buy,buy,buy.... ANY economy is oppressive because they all seek to control the way you conduct your daily life. In the case of tibet, why trade one system of control for OUR system of control? So WE feel better about how they are controlled?

Wake up people. Economies are fake. They bear no real resemblence to what people actually need or how able they are to get what they need. Were Tibetans fed, clothed, and sheltered before the Chinese got there? Yes. Does putting a flashing neon sign up on every street corner improve that? No.

You haven't seen my posts in the Occupy Buddhism thread if you think I don't think capitalism is oppressive. I think it is a broken, oppressive, and ultimately unsustainable system that will have to be replace. However, that doesn't mean I have to support a feudal theocracy either. I want the people of Tibet to be in charge, not the Chinese Communist Party and not the Lamas. I want the average person to hold power and they don't. Of course maybe I'm dreaming, because even in western democracies the average person doesn't really have power. So if you have a solution to these problems, please share, because I freely admit I don't know how to fix things or even where to start.

• The question, I think we need to ask now, is what do the average people of Tibet want?

Good luck finding someone to take an impartial, unbiased poll. Would you be including Tibetans in exile in that poll, or just Tibetans in Tibet? Would Tibetans in culturally-Tibetan areas of China ("old Tibet") be included in the poll?

• After everything else the U.S. did to the Native people I think Mount Rushmoore was the last

The point wasn't to catalogue all the abuses to Native people in the US and Australia and do a comparative study of atrocities. One example each suffices to get the message across, I think.

• @Sile Does your family practice Tibetan Buddhism, or like your grandfather, have they pretty much converted? How do they feel about your interest in Buddhism now?
  • SileSile Veteran
    Cinorjer said:

@Sile Does your family practice Tibetan Buddhism, or like your grandfather, have they pretty much converted? How do they feel about your interest in Buddhism now?

The funny thing about Adventists is that they'd possibly be more scandalized by my Dad's flirtation with Catholicism (primarily so he could gain access to the beloved cathedral organ) than by my home-at-last Buddhism.

Given the number of Chinese Buddhists converted to Adventism (the Tibetans, Hui and Uyghurs politely declined), I like to think that how I turned out sort of repaid the favor in a small way ;) But what do you expect when you raise a kid in Hong Kong, ha. One of the last sounds of the day was the temple bell across the bay, ringing softly as the sun went down, and the little putt-putt of the opium boats started up for the night. An atmosphere rich in dichotomy.

Seriously, though, other than the Adventist holdouts (cousins and such), I think there's probably a different religion today for just about every family member, lol. That makes me happy.

• After everything else the U.S. did to the Native people I think Mount Rushmoore was the last

The point wasn't to catalogue all the abuses to Native people in the US and Australia and do a comparative study of atrocities. One example each suffices to get the message across, I think.

Dang it sorry. I didn't meant to post that. I never finished. It meant to say something along the lines of I think Mount. Rushmore was the least of the U.S.'s crimes, but I decided against posting it, blah this is the second time this has happened.
  • SileSile Veteran
    OP @BonsaiDoug, you may appreciate writer Jane Robison's take:

[Irreverence Alert!]

Daily News (Los Angeles, CA) | January 31, 1999
    JANE ROBISON

DISNEY and China, two great countries, two effervescent spirits searching for light and meaning in the universe, are joining forces.

Coming soon to a great wall near you, the world's second-largest entertainment company wants to open a theme park in the world's most populous country.

It is a beautiful dream. To create peace and harmony and an animatronics Mao welcoming the masses to the Happiest Place on Earth.

Of course, there are going to be artistic differences, but nothing that former U.S. Secretary of State Henry Kissinger can't work out.

...Still, it must be nerve-wracking trying to design a theme park that will pass muster with the incredibly detail-oriented Chinese government while providing the kind of entertainment that will please a mass audience.

Disney has been courting China in much the same way that Kenneth Starr courted Linda Tripp. Neither side is saying much, but both are wired to the hilt over the possibilities for mutually beneficial alliances.

Since the Disney folk are reticent to disclose too much information, we can only guess what those Imagineering people are dreaming up. I have a few humble suggestions for East meets West.

First, the Epcot "Patriotic Education'' Center could retrain the nuns at the Rakhor nunnery as ride operators. It would establish the kind of warm, open-door, working relationship that Disney is noted for.

I understand the nuns are now looking for work, following the closure of their 800-year-old nunnery in Tibet over "artistic differences'' with the Chinese government. So this could be a great win-win for everyone.

Speaking of win-win, imagine how popular Space Mountain could be for both the East and West. The beauty of this ride is the flexibility and privacy it affords the Clinton administration and Hughes Electronics to hand off vital U.S. military and technological secrets on a blood-curdling ride.

Continued: http://bit.ly/PwEm23