Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What exactly is nirvana?

edited August 2012 in Buddhism Basics
I've heard many explanations before, most of which were confusing. In advaita, unconditioned consciousness is our true nature. Is nirvana something similar, or is it the negation of consciousness altogether? If the latter, then what are we, if not conscious?

Comments

• It is the release of consciousness.

From the Buddhist pov the holding of consciousness as the unconditioned as done in advaita is complete ignorance.

Whereas in Buddhism it is the releasing of consciousness which brings about the greatest freedom aka peace.

What we are is a bundle of afflictions.

Freedom from that is release/nirvana.
  • Nirvana is in my opinion best translated as being fully awakened. It is not a place as such, and it is always there, but due to our misconceptions, delusions, ideologies, conditionings and attachments, this awkened state of consciousness is not fully seen. Once all of these are understood, then realised and then negated once can see the true nature of reality with clarity and or 'right view'. This is my impression anyway, correct me if I am wrong in your ipinions people :crazy:
  • http://dharmaseed.org/teacher/210/talk/11974/

You may enjoy this talk by Rob Burbea on nirvana and transcendence.
  • oops, I forgot to mention ignorance, that is a biggie lol
  • wow so many typos in my post, I still do not re-read until later :( silly silly Tom >(
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2012
    music said:

I've heard many explanations before, most of which were confusing. In advaita, unconditioned consciousness is our true nature. Is nirvana something similar, or is it the negation of consciousness altogether? If the latter, then what are we, if not conscious?

If you're interested, you can read some of my thoughts about it here. I'd post the whole thing, but it's past the character limit.
    Also, a good book to read is Thanissaro's Mind Like Fire Unbound.
  • Jason said:

music said:

If you're interested, you can read some of my thoughts about it here. I'd post the whole thing, but it's past the character limit.
    I read it. It is tricky. If consciousness cannot be divorced from the objects which precede it, then nirvana couldn't be some sort of unconditioned consciousness. But since anything other than consciousness is unconsciousness, it is hard to believe that nirvana would be just an unconscious or nihilistic state.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2012
    In my eyes, the more confusing the explanation, the less likely the one explaining actually knows what they were talking about. Not trying to attack anyone, this is simply as I see it.

The Buddha never had real trouble explaining nirvana and said it is the cessation of existence (of a not-self process). It is not a state of consciousness, it's simply disappearing. Why is this so good? Because everything else is impermanent, non-self and thus suffering. Of course, hard to accept, and that's why many minds try to find a way around it or another way of interpreting the Buddha's words. But if you read the suttas and are very honest, it may become very clear that this is what he was on about. No wonder he initially didn't really think anybody would understand. Luckily people did, however!

Consciousness without feature/unconditioned consciousness are Hindu ideas that got into Buddhism. It's impossible to have unconditioned consciousness basically, because consciousness is always conditioned, both by it's object and by craving, that's the nature of it. No craving means no consciousness after death.

Now there is also the nirvana while still alive, but I left that out of this post, because that's not the final goal.

I know this is a sensitive topic :) And we are on a board with many different views. I meant no offence or judgement to anybody! Please let that be clear.

With metta,
    Sabre
    sukhita
    edited August 2012
    Sabre said:

Consciousness without feature/unconditioned consciousness are Hindu ideas that got into Buddhism. It's impossible to have unconditioned consciousness basically, because consciousness is always conditioned, both by it's object and by craving, that's the nature of it. No craving means no consciousness after death.

That's one view, and a valid one. It's certainly the most common among what some consider Theravadin orthodoxy surrounding the Pali term vinnanam anidassanam (consciousness without feature). That said, I don't think it's logically impossible to have unconditioned consciousness when the object of consciousness itself is unconditioned (i.e., nibbana); and if craving was an inherent aspect of consciousness, living arahants wouldn't exist since arahantship = the cessation of craving. In addition, there are other views about the experience of nibbana and the nature of that experience, especially after death, that also have their support among the suttas.

In terms of the aggregate of consciousness (vinnana-khandha), it's clear that consciousness is a dependently existing phenomena. Sensory consciousness can only arise with the presence of the appropriate sense organ and its corresponding object of reference. The process of seeing, for example, is described as a conditional process where "dependent on eye and visible forms, eye-consciousness arises" (SN 12.43). Without the presence of the appropriate sense organ (e.g., the eye) or the corresponding object of reference (e.g., rock), sensory-consciousness (e.g., eye-consciousness) can't arise. So none of the six forms of sensory consciousness can stand on its own without the corresponding stimulus to make it manifest or arise.

Nevertheless, there are a couple of sutta passages that seem to suggest there's a form of consciousness that doesn't come under the aggregate of consciousness. For example, Thanissaro Bhikkhu states in a note to his translation of MN 109:
    One form of consciousness apparently does not come under the aggregate of consciousness. This type of consciousness is termed vinnanam anidassanam — consciousness without a surface, or consciousness without feature. MN 49 says specifically that this consciousness does not partake of the "allness of the all," the "all" being conterminous with the five aggregates. The standard definition of the aggregate of consciousness states that this aggregate includes all consciousness, "past, present, or future... near or far." However, because vinnanam anidassanam stands outside of space and time it would not be covered by these terms. Similarly, where SN 22.97 says that no consciousness is eternal, "eternal" is a concept that applies only within the dimension of time, and thus would not apply to this form of consciousness.
    There are those in academia who also acknowledge this possibility. Peter Harvey, professor of Buddhist Studies at the University of Sunderland, writes in his Introduction to Buddhism:
    Nevertheless, certain passages in the Suttas hint that Nibbana may be a radically transformed state of consciousness (vinnana):
    The consciousness in which nothing can be made manifest (like space), endless, accessible from all sides (or: wholly radiant):
    Here it is that solidity, cohesion, heat and motion have no footing,
    Here long and short, coarse and fine, foul and lovely (have no footing),
    Here it is that mind (nama) and body (rupa) stop without remainder:
    By the stopping of consciousness, (all) this stops here. (D.I.223)
    Like Ud.80, above, this describes a state beyond the four physical elements, where mind-and-body are transcended. As the heart of Conditioned Arising is the mutual conditioning of consciousness and mind-and-body, this state is where this interaction ceases: from the stopping of consciousness, mind-and-body stops. Consciousness is not non-existent when it stops, however; for it is said to be non-manifestive and endless. One passage on the stopping (nirodha) of the nidana of consciousness (S.III.54-5) says that there is no longer any object (arammana) or support (patittha) for consciousness; consciousness is thus 'unsupported' (apatitthita) and free of constructing activities, so that it is released, steadfast, content, undisturbed, and attains Nibbana. This description, of a 'stopped' consciousness which is unsupported by any mental object, where mind-and-body are transcended, seems to accord well with the Ud.80 description of Nibbana itself.

To say that Nibbana is unconditioned, objectless consciousness indicates something of its nature, but it does not penetrate far into its mystery. For it seems impossible to imagine what awareness devoid of any object would be like. As regards the 'stopping' of mind-and-body, as a state occurring during life, this is perhaps to be understood as one where all mental processes (including ordinary consciousness) temporarily cease, and the matter of the body is seen as so ephemeral as not to signify a 'body'. A passage at M. I.329-30 which parallels D.I.223 says that the non-manifestive consciousness 'is not reached by the solidness of solidity, by the cohesiveness of cohesion...'. The analysis of Nibbana as objectless consciousness, though, is the author's own interpretation. Theravadin tradition sees Nibbana as 'objectless' (Dhs.I408), but regards 'consciousness' as always having an object. D.I.223 is thus interpreted as concerning Nibbana as to-be-known-by-consciousness: Nibbana is itself the object of the Arahat's consciousness (Pati.II.I43-5).
    While the view that there's a type of consciousness that lies outside of space and time, and therefore, outside the consciousness-aggregate altogether, isn't a view that's supported by the 'classical' Theravada Tradition in which the entire Tipitaka and its commentaries are considered authoritative, the imagery of consciousness that "does not land or increase" mentioned in SN 12.64 does seem to support such a possibility, even if some might say that comparing this imagery of consciousness to the consciousness of nibbana is taking it out of context. At least I think so.

The commentaries, on the other hand, gloss the term vinnanam anidassanam in a way that denies such a possibility. Using the Kevatta Sutta (DN 11), for example, Suan Lu Zaw, a Burmese lay-teacher of Pali and Abhidhamma, explains that according the the Kevatta Sutta Atthakatha [DN 11 commentary], vinnanam doesn't refer to the usual meaning of 'consciousness' here, but instead defines it as, "There, to be known specifically, so (it is) 'vinnanam'. This is the name of Nibbana." He also explains that the following line of DN 11, "Here (in Nibbana), nama as well as rupa cease without remainder. By ceasing of consciousness, nama as well as rupa ceases here" illustrates this point. He states that, "Nibbana does not become a sort of consciousness just because one of the Pali names happens to be vinnanam."

He concludes by using a quote from a section of the Dhammapada Attakatha [Dhammapada commentary], which apparently states that there's no consciousness component in parinibbana after the death of an arahant. This, of course, is in direct contrast to Thanissaro Bhikkhu's note to this particular sutta.

Basically, what this controversy seems to boil down to is the experience of nibbana and the nature of that experience, especially after death. The general tendency is to either describe nibbana as the ending of all consciousness, all awareness, or in other words, to stress the cessation aspect of nibbana, or to describe nibbana as a state of purified awareness, 'consciousness without feature,' or in other words, to stress the transcendent aspect of nibbana. The 'classical' Theravada Tradition favours the former view of nibbana while others, especially some within the Thai Forest Tradition, favour the latter.

My view, as I mentioned in my post about nibbana, is that both interpretations have support in the suttas, as well as sophisticated arguments as to why their view doesn't fall into either extreme of annihilationism or eternalism, and I'm sympathetic to both, having held each view at one point or another. But lately, I've been content with viewing nibbana as the extinguishing of greed, hatred and delusion (SN 38.1), and consciousness without feature as the living arahant's consciousness devoid of defilements and non-attached to any phenomena whatsoever, and leaving it at that.
    edited August 2012
    Sabre said:

In my eyes, the more confusing the explanation, the less likely the one explaining actually knows what they were talking about. Not trying to attack anyone, this is simply as I see it.

That's probably true. It's all in good fun, though. :)
  • music said:

It has lovely views, I am told.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Hi @Jason,

If vinnanam anidassanam was so important, surely it wouldn't be in just two suttas. Also, this term is not ascribed to the Buddha in all occasions in the existing versions of the canon (there is more than just one). I've seen translations where this is ascribed to the Brahma, which makes a lot more sense because the Buddha in one occasion ends with "With the cessation of consciousness everything comes to an end." Why would he say that if he was just before talking about some featureless eternal consciousness? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Aside from that, these things are poetry. I think we shouldn't base our view on that. Ideally we shouldn't base our view on suttas at all, of course. Even if something occurred 100 times, because something is in a sutta, doesn't make it true. But at least it's more likely that what occurs more is what the Buddha actually taught. And what occurs many many times is the word remainderless cessation / fading away. Remainderless, so not with some consciousness remaining. This apart from the many other occasions that point to this, I don't think I need to give them.

At least, that's how I see it. Obviously not everybody agrees, not even some who are ordained for a long time. But hey, who'se to say they are wise?

Not trying to convince you of anything. I think taking a neutral stance is very wise. Just for your information. :) And for everybody else.

I think nirvana as the end of all experience is an amazingly beautiful teaching, somebody just doesn't make this up.

With metta!
    Sabre
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    Jason said:

Sabre said:

roflmao. Thanks guys in particular Jason. You made my day.

/Victor
  • SabreSabre Veteran

Jason said:

Sabre said:

roflmao. Thanks guys in particular Jason. You made my day.

/Victor

:D Indeed, no need to take it all too serious. :clap:
    edited August 2012
    Sabre said:

Hi @Jason,

If vinnanam anidassanam was so important, surely it wouldn't be in just two suttas. Also, this term is not ascribed to the Buddha in all occasions in the existing versions of the canon (there is more than just one). I've seen translations where this is ascribed to the Brahma, which makes a lot more sense because the Buddha in one occasion ends with "With the cessation of consciousness everything comes to an end." Why would he say that if he was just before talking about some featureless eternal consciousness? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Aside from that, these things are poetry. I think we shouldn't base our view on that. Ideally we shouldn't base our view on suttas at all, of course. Even if something occurred 100 times, because something is in a sutta, doesn't make it true. But at least it's more likely that what occurs more is what the Buddha actually taught. And what occurs many many times is the word remainderless cessation / fading away. Remainderless, so not with some consciousness remaining. This apart from the many other occasions that point to this, I don't think I need to give them.

It's true that this particular term appears in only a couple of times. However, there are other terms and descriptions of nibbana as a conscious experience throughout the Pali Canon, so it's not like the interpretation of nibbana as a state of purified awareness hinges on just a single term. It's simply one of the most widely known and illustrative. Whatever the case, I've provided a couple of arguments and references for both sides, and am content to leave it up to the individual to decide which approach they find the most useful/inspiring/logical/etc.
    SabreMaryAnne

Thanks guys in particular Jason. You made my day.

:)
  • You just need to wake up....
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    We don't accept that we came from something else, that our existence is completely intertwined with the world around us, and that change is inevitable. On top of these we suffer from not getting what we desire or from experiencing things we find displeasing. Our lives are a constant struggle to find happiness, but one that doesn't lead to lasting happiness.

Lasting happiness starts with clarity, with clear seeing of reality. We see that all things are impermanent and selfless (interdependent), including ourselves (the abandonment of self-view). Given that grasping and clinging are therefore fruitless endeavors that only lead to pain, we begin to let go of these activities. We let go of seeking pleasure and avoiding pain. The mind becomes still, peaceful, unperturbed and steadfast; it's all uncertain, there's nothing to grasp.

There are a lot of ways people like to define Nirvana, but they're mostly concerned with existential realities... will I exist after death? and so on. What Nirvana is is the cessation of craving/clinging, which ends all suffering. The Buddha didn't answer these existential questions because they are based on delusional thinking to begin with... you think you exist now? ;)
    JasonMaryAnne
  • The end of suffering.
  • "And what, venerable sir, is the purpose (kimatthiya = what is the purport) of liberation (vimutti)? Radha, liberation surely is the meaning of Nibbana (vimutti kho, Radha, nibbânatthâ)" (S.iii.189).
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    This is one of my favorite explanations. :)
    The Buddha insists that this level is indescribable, even in terms of existence or nonexistence, because words work only for things that have limits. All he really says about it — apart from images and metaphors — is that one can have foretastes of the experience in this lifetime, and that it's the ultimate happiness, something truly worth knowing. http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/nibbana.html
    MaryAnne
  • The thing about Buddhism (IMO) is...... there is no "exactly" about it.
    Sabre
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    driedleaf said:

The end of suffering.

A Buddha still gets back-ache though. ;)
    MaryAnne
    @Jason
    Basically, what this controversy seems to boil down to is the experience of nibbana and the nature of that experience, especially after death. The general tendency is to either describe nibbana as the ending of all consciousness, all awareness, or in other words, to stress the cessation aspect of nibbana, or to describe nibbana as a state of purified awareness, 'consciousness without feature,' or in other words, to stress the transcendent aspect of nibbana. The 'classical' Theravada Tradition favours the former view of nibbana while others, especially some within the Thai Forest Tradition, favour the latter.
    Interesting, but I'm not sure whether you're talking about nibbana or pari-nibbana here?
    @Sabre
    The Buddha never had real trouble explaining nirvana and said it is the cessation of existence (of a not-self process).
    I recall nibbana being described in the suttas as cessation of the taints, but not as the cessation of a "not-self process" ( I'm not sure what that means ) - were you thinking of a particular sutta?
  • As long as we are in the body, isn't it impossible to experience cessation of consciousness aka nirvana?
  • Music:

As long as we are in the body, isn't it impossible to experience cessation of consciousness aka nirvana?

It is difficult to address your question when the passage is question is absent. I found this passage which might be helpful.
    "If, bhikkhus, a bhikkhu’s mind (citta) has become dispassionate (virati = withdrawn) towards the form element (dhatu), it is liberated (vimutta) from the taints (asava) by non-clinging (anupâdâya). If his mind has become dispassionate towards the feeling element ... towards the perception element ... towards the volitional element ... towards the consciousness element, it is liberated from the taints by non-clinging" (S.iii.45).
    edited August 2012

@Jason

Interesting, but I'm not sure whether you're talking about nibbana or pari-nibbana here?

I thought the context made it clear, but this last part is about the experience of nibbana after 'death.' The problem is, to understand that (at least from an intellectual standpoint), one also has to try and also understand the nature of nibbana as a living experience and what that entails since the two are so intimately tied together, e.g., is nibbana just the destruction of the taints and the end of existence, or is it opening up to a whole new realm of experience? Is it an awareness that's not harmed by death — an awareness that's not in time and space (whatever that might mean) — or does the liberated mind simply cease after death, etc.? Just something I find interesting to contemplate.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2012

@Sabre

The Buddha never had real trouble explaining nirvana and said it is the cessation of existence (of a not-self process).
    I recall nibbana being described in the suttas as cessation of the taints, but not as the cessation of a "not-self process" ( I'm not sure what that means ) - were you thinking of a particular sutta?

You see this for example in the counterpart of dependent origination, where the Buddha said, from the cessation of ignorance etc etc cessation of becoming (another word for existence). For example, here (this was not the Buddha speaking but one of the enlightened diciples)
    "Yes, Pavittha my friend. Putting aside conviction... preference... tradition... reasoning through analogies... an agreement through pondering views, I do have truly personal knowledge that, 'The cessation of becoming is nirvana.'"
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.068.than.html
    At least to me it's always been quite obvious that that's what he was on about. I'm aware that opinions vary. But I always tought this is an amazing teaching. And it immediately makes clear why it is craving is such a problem.
  • Had a quick look & found this interview -

http://www.lifepositive.com/spirit/world-religions/buddhism/dalai-interview.asp

If the goal of life is happiness, where does nirvana fit in?

Now you are talking about another level. At the first level, you need to practice basic human values. Then, you can talk of nirvana, which means permanent cessation of suffering. So we come back to happiness!

How can nirvana be made possible?

(Laughs) It is possible because it is possible to eliminate all negative emotions! When Buddha Sakyamuni experienced mahaparinirvana, his mind ceased and he was freed from the karmic cycle of birth and death. Nagarjuna says clearly that the pure mind has no counterforce, and only those that have a counterforce can cease, like matter. The mind, and space too, have no counterforce and so have no reason to cease. In the case of other afflictive emotions, they might end if they have strong positive counter forces. But in case of the mind, we cannot say that it will come to an end, as it is difficult to find a strong antidote that will hinder its existence, as in the case of space. Here, you could argue by saying that in that case, could we put an end to loving-kindness or compassion because they have strong counter-forces? On investigation, we will realize that kindness and love usually accompany wisdom whereas anger and hatred might seem strong but have no praman (proof/basis). Everything that is good and right is the result of valid perception. Based on this, the more you analyze, the more you will be able to hold on to reality. If it is something wrong, however strong it appears, as you analyze it, its falsehood will be revealed.
  • Nirvana is the falling away of illusions (this would include ego-clinging), and seeing the world as it is.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @Dakini, I agree but it doesn't stop there! :) With the illusions shattered, attachments and craving cease, which results in stillness and peace (non-suffering).

So it's both seeing and the resultant non-craving and non-suffering.
  • Cloud said:

@Dakini, I agree but it doesn't stop there! :) With the illusions shattered, attachments and craving cease, which results in stillness and peace (non-suffering).

So it's both seeing and the resultant non-craving and non-suffering.

Agreed. :)

• What is Nibanna is not all it seems? (Please give me loads of Insightful points for this line of text, it is very insightful)
    @Jason
    e.g., is nibbana just the destruction of the taints and the end of existence, or is it opening up to a whole new realm of experience? Is it an awareness that's not harmed by death — an awareness that's not in time and space (whatever that might mean) — or does the liberated mind simply cease after death, etc.? Just something I find interesting to contemplate
    Yes, I wonder about these things quite a lot too, particularly because whether a Buddha existed after death was one of the unanswered questions in the suttas. And I don't feel the suttas are conclusive on the whole question of what nibbana and pari-nibbana really are.
    Dakini said:

Nirvana is the falling away of illusions (this would include ego-clinging), and seeing the world as it is.

Does this imply it's basically a radical change in perception?
    @Sabre
    "Yes, Pavittha my friend. Putting aside conviction... preference... tradition... reasoning through analogies... an agreement through pondering views, I do have truly personal knowledge that, 'The cessation of becoming is Unbinding.'"
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.068.than.html
    So what do you think "cessation of becoming" actually means here?
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2012

So what do you think "cessation of becoming" actually means here?

@PedanticPorpoise

Cessation of existence. :)

Look up the word 'bhava' in a pali dictionary and you'll see becoming and existence are synonyms. People began to translate it as 'becoming' to emphasize the non-self aspect of existence, but if we know what we are talking about we can also use the word existence, it's just a matter of semantics. But because it is no self, this is also why one can't say the Buddha is or isn't 'being' after death, because he also wasn't 'being' before, it was all non-self. Being dead or alive has nothing to do with that.

If we also take into account suttas such as "The all" where the Buddha says there is just the 6 senses, nothing more - And all the times he talks about the cessation of consciousness without even mentioning there would arise some other kind of consciousness - how he praises impermanence and doesn't talk about permanence - how the Brahmajala sutta goes against permanent existence - and a lot of other accounts - to me it's clear what the Buddha taught. But we don't need to read a lot - to me it's already in the four noble truths. :)

Now of course this sounds like the most scary and 'useless' nibbana one could ever want. But it's exactly out of the sense of self that we want to preserve something. The sense of self gives rise to thinking there is actually something valuable in existing in one way or the other. But if you see there is no such self, and everything is just arising and passing away, nothing remains to be clung to, not even some kind of consciousness.

Now just imagine the universe would work like this: Don't you think it would be amazing? :)

For clarification: I'm talking about parinibbana (final nirvana) here, that is nirvana after death.

With metta!
    Cloud
    @Sabre
    Look up the word 'bhava' in a pali dictionary and you'll see becoming and existence are synonyms. People began to translate it as 'becoming' to emphasize the non-self aspect of existence, but if we know what we are talking about we can also use the word existence, it's just a matter of semantics. .....Now of course this sounds like the most scary and 'useless' nibbana one could ever want.
    ...........For clarification: I'm talking about parinibbana (final nirvana) here, that is nirvana after death.
    I've seen bhava most often translated as being or becoming - you could say it's the process of existence.
    Here is a brief extract from MN9, the Discourse on Right View, specifically on the birth ( jati ) and being ( bhava )nidanas of dependent origination. It seems to describe being ( bhava ) as the process of existence in one of the realms ( samasara ), and birth ( jati ) as actual physical birth.
    In the first paragraph we see "With the cessation of being there is the cessation of birth", ie cessation of the cycle of birth and death in the realms ( samsara ).
    What I'm not clear about is whether cessation of being occurs at nibbana or at pari-nibbana.

Birth:
    26. "And what is birth, what is the origin of birth, what is the cessation of birth, what is the way leading to the cessation of birth? The birth of beings into the various orders of beings, their coming to birth, precipitation [in a womb], generation, manifestation of the aggregates, obtaining the bases for contact — this is called birth. With the arising of being there is the arising of birth. With the cessation of being there is the cessation of birth. The way leading to the cessation of birth is just this Noble Eightfold Path; that is, right view... right concentration.

Being
    30. "And what is being, what is the origin of being, what is the cessation of being, what is the way leading to the cessation of being? There are these three kinds of being: sense-sphere being, fine-material being and immaterial being. With the arising of clinging there is the arising of being. With the cessation of clinging there is the cessation of being. The way leading to the cessation of being is just this Noble Eightfold Path; that is, right view... right concentration.

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Jup, that's confusing initially unless you see Dependent Origination not as immediate cause and effect. That's clear because birth doesn't have an immediate death, feeling doesn't have an immediate (or nescessary) craving etc.

So it doesn't have to be immediate, and with the cessation of ignorance comes the cessation of existence in the future, that is, after death. :) Because it is at the moment of death that volitions create a new life.
    Sabre said:

Jup, that's confusing initially unless you see Dependent Origination not as immediate cause and effect. That's clear because birth doesn't have an immediate death, feeling doesn't have an immediate (or nescessary) craving etc.

Yes, as I understand dependent origination it's describing a series of dependently arising processes rather than events.
    So does this mean that pari-nibbana is complete extinction, ie there is nothing "beyond" samsara?
  • PedanticPorpoise:
    Yes, I wonder about these things quite a lot too, particularly because whether a Buddha existed after death was one of the unanswered questions in the suttas. And I don't feel the suttas are conclusive on the whole question of what nibbana and pari-nibbana really are.
    The discourses and commentarial literature are clear about one thing. Nirvana is the unconditioned and to attain it mind has to be free of conditions. It is the like going to the like. The problem Western Buddhists have is they are uneasy with the transcendent. Anything that doesn't fit between the bookends of Western materialism is disbelieved or scouted.

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @PedanticPorpoise

Yes, as I understand dependent origination it's describing a series of dependently arising processes rather than events.
    So does this mean that pari-nibbana is complete extinction, ie there is nothing "beyond" samsara?

This is in itself says nothing of course. This is just texts. Texts are not truths.

But it is how I have come to see and appreciate the beauty of the Buddha's teaching. I personally never could belief in some eternal thing that ever lasts, neither material or immaterial.

• "That Nibbana should be interpreted as the logical counterpart of this notion [dependent origination] is only natural to suggest. That is to say, it should be interpreted as the Absolute—the eternal and infinite principle. Paticcasam~ [dependent origination] relates to the conditioned, Nibbana is the Unconditioned" (Pande, Origins of Buddhism, 473). (Brackets are mine.)
  • Nirvana is when a beautiful piece of music makes you cry. :)
    MaryAnne
    edited August 2012

I've seen bhava most often translated as being or becoming - you could say it's the process of existence.

The way I understand it, becoming (bhava) is a mental process, which arises due to the presence of clinging (upadana) in the mind with regard to the five aggregates, and acts as a condition for the birth (jati) of the conceit 'I am,' the self-identification that designates a being (satta). As Thanissaro Bhikkhu puts it, "Samsara is a process of creating places, even whole worlds, (this is called becoming) and then wandering through them (this is called birth). Nirvana is the end of this process ("A Verb for Nirvana"). As such, it may also be a component of the rebirth process and the "production of renewed existence" (SN 12.64); but once that process is stopped, the mind is open to the deathless (amata). And this has been interpreted in two main ways, i.e., deathlessness in the sense of not having to be born ever again and so not having to die (both in terms of the conceit 'I am' and post-mortem rebirth), or in the sense of no longer being harmed by death. Either way, it sounds kind of nice to me. :)
    Cloud
    edited August 2012
    @Songhill
    The discourses and commentarial literature are clear about one thing. Nirvana is the unconditioned and to attain it mind has to be free of conditions. It is the like going to the like. The problem Western Buddhists have is they are uneasy with the transcendent. Anything that doesn't fit between the bookends of Western materialism is disbelieved or scouted.
    Yes, I agree with you. IMO blind disbelief is as much of a hindrance as blind belief.
    @Sabre
    I personally never could belief in some eternal thing that ever lasts, neither material or immaterial.
    Why not?
    edited August 2012
    The way I understand it, becoming (bhava) is a mental process, which arises due to the presence of clinging (upadana) in the mind with regard to the five aggregates, and acts as a condition for the birth (jati) of the conceit 'I am,' the self-identification that designates a being (satta).
    Are you saying that bhava is a purely mental process? I don't see how this interpretation is consistent with the way the birth ( jati ) and becoming ( bhava ) nidanas are actually described in the suttas ( see my earlier post, and refer to the nidana descriptions in MN9 and SN12.2 ).