Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Feelings

edited September 2012 in Buddhism Basics
I'm new to Buudhism and I nearly gave up recently as the point I've got to I interpreted it to mean we shouldn't mourn death. I can't remember exactly what I read but it was about attachment to feelings.

I thought about it a little more and I then wondered how often we actually choose to feel sad etc. Lots of people I know (well mainly women) choose to watch certain films as they make them cry.

The thing that actually scares me about taking Buddhism further is that if I want to become enlightened it comes at the expense of not being able to love somebody to the extent that we virtually become the same person, how when they are gone part of me will be gone and I will be inconsolable for a time.

Comments

• I think enlightenment is just like... Ultimate love (not everyone will agree with me on this point though). So maybe it would stop you feeling that way... But maybe feeling that way isn't love at all. And if feeling that way IS love, then you'll still feel that way. Either way, win win, still love :)
    MaryAnne
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited September 2012
    When my dog died I was so sad for some time, but my learning in Buddhism inspired me to just feel my feelings and ride them. I did not try to be any certain way, but just allowed myself to feel as I did.

As it is, as it is. Let all things be as they are.
    federicaMaryAnne
  • Gavin said:

I'm new to Buudhism and I nearly gave up recently as the point I've got to I interpreted it to mean we shouldn't mourn death. I can't remember exactly what I read but it was about attachment to feelings.

I thought about it a little more and I then wondered how often we actually choose to feel sad etc. Lots of people I know (well mainly women) choose to watch certain films as they make them cry.

The thing that actually scares me about taking Buddhism further is that if I want to become enlightened it comes at the expense of not being able to love somebody to the extent that we virtually become the same person, how when they are gone part of me will be gone and I will be inconsolable for a time.

Someone told me there is love in Buddhism. It is called Metta.
  • @Gavin

That is the problem. When alive, one cannot let go but when facing death, hopefully there is realisation/acceptance that one cannot hold one simply because nothing belongs to us.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited September 2012
    I'd advice to not get too much into intellectual ideas and fantasies about what the results will be like, especially when you are new to Buddhism. Instead, do the practice and see what results it gives. To imagine love without attachment while never having experienced something like that, is impossible. It's not really understandable how love without attachment is stronger than love with attachment. But it is. So don't worry too much about what will come. Enjoy your practice.

Also Buddhism isn't about should or shouldn't. It's about seeing things as they are. If there is reason to mourn, there is reason to mourn, if there is not, there is not.
    Geoff-Allen
  • Being sad and mourning the loss which is a part of a full life does not have to be avoided to avoid suffering ... Better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all.
  • Yes, Sabre, there is a difference between love & attachment. Attachment leads 2 suffering; real love leads 2 joy ...

http://viewonbuddhism.org/attachment.html

Have a good one!