Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Quote from Steve Jobs

SileSile Veteran
edited September 2012 in Arts & Writings
My uncle just sent me this:

"Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything---all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure---those things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart." ~Steve Jobs
jessie70sova[Deleted User]

Comments

• Jobs was a student of Buddhism. It shows. Sounds like it really helped guide his business, too!
  • Dakini said:

Jobs was a student of Buddhism. It shows. Sounds like it really helped guide his business, too!

Plus he also gave sweat-shop workers lots of wonderful jobs and opportunities. He was such a compassionate man, an ideal Buddhist.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    music said:

Dakini said:

Jobs was a student of Buddhism. It shows. Sounds like it really helped guide his business, too!

Plus he also gave sweat-shop workers lots of wonderful jobs and opportunities. He was such a compassionate man, an ideal Buddhist.
    I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not because Apple still is under fire for the inhumane working conditions in some of their Chinese factories which were supposed to be rectified, but seem to have not.
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited September 2012
    That is a wonderful gift to receive from your uncle, Sile.
    I am going to email it to some people in my life too - thanks for sharing it here.
    I am sure, like most of us, there is more that Steve Jobs in his capacity could have done - he did some good things clearly.
    I am prone to using sarcasm - I can see from this discussion why it is called the lowest form of wit and can be seen as passive aggressive to others.
    federica
  • That's such a great quote! Cheers, @Sile :)
  • Whenever I'm overwhelmed with worry or pity for someone (recently diagnosed friend with cancer, etc.), I sometimes think, "Well, I could get hit by a falling rock tomorrow, and they could live on for years." Somehow that helps me snap out of the more suffocating side of compassion, and get back to a sort of general feeling for everyone, including myself.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    andyrobyn said:

I am prone to using sarcasm - I can see from this discussion why it is called the lowest form of wit and can be seen as passive aggressive to others.

Yes. And sometimes, it's appropriate, and at others - definitely not.
    Like this one, for example.

• Here's an essay by Lama Surya Das on Steve Jobs' Buddhist practice:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lama-surya-das/the-zen-of-steve-jobs-rig_b_1100107.html
    Sile