Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Quote that helps with anger management :))

NMADDPNMADDP SUN Diego, California Veteran
edited September 2012 in General Banter
I was pissed at some people. Happen to find this quote which helps to just let go.

“Holding on anger is like you are drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.”

Cheers
jessie70ThailandTom

Comments

• I like this one as well...

“Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.”
    jessie70
  • I_AM_THAT said:

I like this one as well...

“Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.”

This one is one of my favourite all time quotes, and in fact you can use it with jealousy, greed any kind of afflictive emotion. I have said it maybe too many times on this site hehe.

Another good one is this, imagine a saucepan of water on a stove that is turned on. The water will soon boil and bubbles will arise. Try to then look into the water and see your reflection. Everything you see in the water is distorted and appears wrong. Now when you turn the stove off and the water begins to call down, the image begins to become more clear and you can see with perfect clarity. This is how anger works, when the water is boiling, we see the world in a very different way.
    carolann
  • I like this one -

“If we learn to open our hearts, anyone, including the people who drive us crazy, can be our teacher.”

― Pema Chödrön

http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/8052.Pema_Ch_dr_n
  • I like this one -

“If we learn to open our hearts, anyone, including the people who drive us crazy, can be our teacher.”

― Pema Chödrön

http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/8052.Pema_Ch_dr_n

Ajahn Brahm spoke about when mosquitos were his teacher, Ajahn Mosquito or in Thai, Ajahn yung!
    I_AM_THAT
  • I recently attended a meditation retreat in Chiang Mai... We needed to follow the 5 precepts... which meant no killing the mosquitos, instead we needed to thank the mosquito for the teachings they were providing.
    seeker242
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Did you also thank them for dengue fever?
    federicaRebeccaSbudzen
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    "Whatever you put Energy into, will Grow".
    Vastmindsova
  • I_AM_THAT said:

I recently attended a meditation retreat in Chiang Mai... We needed to follow the 5 precepts... which meant no killing the mosquitos, instead we needed to thank the mosquito for the teachings they were providing.

What teachings are those - how to bite people in odd places and get away with it?
    RebeccaSI_AM_THATcarolann
  • music said:

I_AM_THAT said:

I recently attended a meditation retreat in Chiang Mai... We needed to follow the 5 precepts... which meant no killing the mosquitos, instead we needed to thank the mosquito for the teachings they were providing.

What teachings are those - how to bite people in odd places and get away with it?
    Teachings in patience, humility, concentration and focus, and yes that you were able to provide a meal to the mosquito... Think about what emotions that are going through your mind when you have a mosquito buzzing around your head... Anger, fear... etc. In my particular case I should be meditating and not worried about the mosquitos.

The teacher at the retreat stressed that when you learn to meditate and develop a clear mind the mosquitos wont even land on you. With a clear mind and a relaxed body you do not generate the heat and energy that the mosquitos are attracted too.
  • Whenever you yell profanity or harsh words at someone, it goes into your own ear first before it reaches theirs. IF it reaches theirs.
  • edited September 2012
    driedleaf said:

Whenever you yell profanity or harsh words at someone, it goes into your own ear first before it reaches theirs. IF it reaches theirs.

Is this an ad for ear plugs?

• driedleafdriedleaf Veteran
    edited September 2012
    music said:

Is this an ad for ear plugs?

No. :) I heard it from a great meditation teacher once. Seems true to me though. When we say something mean or bad to someone, we never really think about how our own words or actions affects us. We may realize it later on though that it may affect us.

• NMADDPNMADDP SUN Diego, California Veteran
    One story about the Buddha that his disciple asked him why he was not angry or mad when people were yelling at him at some village. The Buddha replied that if someone gives you a gift and you don't accept it. The gift is still belong to the giver. Something like that. Can't remember the whole story.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2012
    NMADDP said:

One story about the Buddha that his disciple asked him why he was not angry or mad when people were yelling at him at some village. The Buddha replied that if someone gives you a gift and you don't accept it. The gift is still belong to the giver. Something like that. Can't remember the whole story.

@NMADDP
    I think you mean this....here you go..... ;)
  • I don't know if this is what you mean but he was staying in a village at one point and the Buddha had a lot of attention. One man who had a high status in the village was angry with this and one day as the Buddha sat in peace the man approached him. He started yelling and swearing and then the Buddha asked him this.
    "Do you invite friends over to your house some times?"
    The man replied by saying yes he did. The Buddha then went on to say
    "When they come to visit do you offer them food?"
    The man said that of course he did.
    "And what if your friends do not want to eat the food, whos food is it then?"
    The man said, "it is my food."
    The buddha replied, "just like with this anger you are offering me, it is all yours and not mine, all yours."

That is a bad translation but it is from my memory. Maybe this is what you were thinking about?
  • NMADDPNMADDP SUN Diego, California Veteran
    @federica @Thailandtom
    Yeap. That is the story. Thankssss

Cheers
    Have a Buddha Beer (h2o)
    edited September 2012
    Gee...... Thanks...... :-/

You know what they say about unwanted gifts......... :p

:D

No problem...
    Incidentally, that's a good site to work your way around..... ;)
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Did somebody say beer?! The monster within has been unleashed :eek:
  • anger is like throwing hot coals not only do you wound others but at the same time wound yourself

That's my favourite
  • I know of another one. There was a kay woman who wanted to know how to deal with anger. The monk she asked realised she was occupied with her self image a lot and said to her, "next time yoiu are really angry take a look in a mirror at your facial expression and try to find beauty in it." but yea I have used the hot coal one so many times on here, my favourote too!
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Really good article on "Anger Management" here. One of my favorites. :) It present 3 different strategies to deal and let go of the anger.

The Elimination of Anger
    With two stories retold from the Buddhist texts
    by
    Ven. K. Piyatissa Thera

I like this part "He has done some wrong to me and in so doing has spoiled his mind. Then why should I spoil or impair my own mind because of his foolishness?"

Good question!
  • The thing to point out though I feel is simple, anger arises, but it is how we react to this emotion. Ignorance is normally the fundamental problem.
    I_AM_THAT
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Here's my quote about being angry:

Get Mad, Get Wise, Get Over It.

Simple.