Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Would Buddhism be good for me?

Hi. I'm 20years old&was raised a catholic, I even went to catholic school for 8 years. My family wasn't very strict with religion be involved in our lives though. Ive always felt disconnected from that religion&many others. So I had given up on it all and just thought of my self as agnostic. Recently I have been trying to better myself&while doing research&trying to "find myself" I can upon information about Buddhism. It really seems to fit my beliefs&I think it could really help me be a better person.But I would hate to claim something when I might be doing it wrong..does that make sense? Like for instance, I'm really into film&some of my favorite films depict violence as well as the music I listen to,but I try to stay away from violent actions in my REAL life. Also since I am a young girl I still tend to want certain clothes&things like that,I don't hold those things up really high in my priorities but they are still common wants. Does that make me not a good candidate? I'm really just trying to learn as much as I can so if I do decide to consider myself a Buddhist I won't come off hypocritical.
coz

Comments

• cozcoz Explorer
    good question
    well its like anything we do in life as we learn and we understand we will become better
    for the understanding, Buddhism is a life adventure as we learn and meditate in the learning we see the truth of it so if it is in your nature to be kind to others
    and treat all beings well you are already seeing the way
    listen to teachings as often as u can it will help u decide you tube has a number of wonderful teachers such as the venerable Thubten Chodron
    peace and joy to you
    namaste
    Coz
  • As a lay person there are only 5 precepts (rules) that one should follow... Here is link that gives a pretty good explanation into each of these precepts. I view buddhism as a way of life that should become part of your daily routine and thought processes. Any journey requires that you make the first step...

Best wishes to you on your journey!

web.singnet.com.sg/~alankhoo/Precepts.htm
    coz
  • You don't have to be a perfect buddhist to follow buddhism. After all, if you did, you'd already be enlightened ;)

In principle, buddhism is good for everyone - meditation and mindfulness are things that can make anyone's life better. Don't be afraid that you liking clothes or violent films/music will exclude you from buddhism, but you might find as you get deeper into it that those things mean less to you, and that's OK.
  • Thanks for all your answers, you have made it seem really welcoming. I'll continue doing more research and practicing. I think this would be a really good decision for me(:
    sova
  • Hi there!

I would recommend meditation on a daily basis. Has worked wonders 4 me & many people over the centuries!

Here's a guide -

http://www.greatlivingnow.com/2012/05/11/meditation-guide/

Best of luck & welcome 2 the forum!
    sova
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Just try it out and see.

There are no minimum requirements or attitude that is needed to start practicing Buddhism. As Pema Chodron says "start where you are." Buddhism isn't like a club you join with people of similar interests to you and then you're done, its more like learning to play a musical instrument. You start knowing whatever you know and then you learn and practice and slowly get better at it.
    amandathetexan
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2012
    You can always give it a try and find out. :)
  • short answer is yes.
    but a word of caution, dont believe everything you read.
    there are many people who write books about buddhism without really understanding buddhism.
    Myeeee said:

Hi. I'm 20years old&was raised a catholic, I even went to catholic school for 8 years. My family wasn't very strict with religion be involved in our lives though. Ive always felt disconnected from that religion&many others. So I had given up on it all and just thought of my self as agnostic. Recently I have been trying to better myself&while doing research&trying to "find myself" I can upon information about Buddhism. It really seems to fit my beliefs&I think it could really help me be a better person.But I would hate to claim something when I might be doing it wrong..does that make sense? Like for instance, I'm really into film&some of my favorite films depict violence as well as the music I listen to,but I try to stay away from violent actions in my REAL life. Also since I am a young girl I still tend to want certain clothes&things like that,I don't hold those things up really high in my priorities but they are still common wants. Does that make me not a good candidate? I'm really just trying to learn as much as I can so if I do decide to consider myself a Buddhist I won't come off hypocritical.

• Myeeee said:

Does that make me not a good candidate?

Only you can answer that...
  • According to the buddha, anybody can awaken to nibbana, it is there in front of us all, it just requires the right effort and basically the entire 8 fold path. Even if you do not get anywhere close to enlightenment, you can improve your life from what it is now by following the teachings of the Buddha, they are tools passed down on how to live a virtuous and wise life. Good luck with your path my friend.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Myeeee said:

Interesting, sounds exactly like me when I was 20! Except I went to catholic school for 11 years! And that is exactly how I came across Buddhism too. :) Buddhism is a good candidate for anyone, literally. Even people who are currently in prison who actually did commit violent acts. There is no such thing as "not a good candidate" in Buddhism. :)
  • Jesus did not come for the righteous. He came for the sinners. So did the Buddha.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    No, he didn't.
    There is no concept of 'sin' in Buddhism, so the above isn't really accurate.

The Buddha stated that he came to "understand suffering and Transcend suffering".
    He taught that the way to do this was to understand, learn and absorb the 4 Noble truths, follow the Eightfold path and adhere to the 5 Precepts.

Those alone are a good place to start, and some spend their entire lives just devoted to doing just that.

Study those - and ask whatever you need to ask. We're none of us enlightened here, so we'll just help you along in the best way we can..... But the main bulk of the research and verification is up to you. Never hesitate to chat with us though, it's nice to exchange ideas!
  • federica said:

No, he didn't.
    There is no concept of 'sin' in Buddhism, so the above isn't really accurate.

Ignorance is sin.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    There may be no actual concept of sin, but there is morality.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    music said:

Ignorance is sin.

Of course it isn't. If you realise ignorance, you remedy it. if you don't realise ignorance, then it's unintentional.
    Please, quit while you're behind....

@vinlyn, Morality yes, but the word 'Sin' is still associated with some form of justice, retribution or punishment due.
    And as we have a new member, whose background is rooted in Theological influence, I think it important for her sake to make that very important distinction.
    Sin is very much associated with a fault against a Deity. Morality isn't.

• even if you dont adopt it completely i believe buddhism has something to offer every one
  • This has turned into a debate about terms rather than the big picture.
    Sometimes I find viewpoints being taken too literally from written material.

Too much faith and not enough wisdom.......

If the Buddha was alive today, would you imagine him to be very liberal with the precepts, especially if you call yourself a Buddhist!?

Think about it and then you will become a better Buddhist (hopefully).