Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Enlightenment Through Meditation

Early Buddhists including Shakyamuni managed to become enlightened through meditation rather than through reading about it.

I was wondering why I keep reading more about studying and less about meditation and leading a good life?

Comments

• I think maybe there is some fear of meditation. It could shake up your ego. Is there any truth to that?
  • I personally have never had a problem with it and have really started to know myself quite well, I've even managed to start steering myself away from some negative thinking.
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran

I was wondering why I keep reading more about studying and less about meditation and leading a good life?

maybe because studying is easier than meditation and morality.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Learning is like figuring out where to go on a map. Meditating is like going there. Both are needed.
    TreeLuvr87
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2012
    What goes on in your mind when you think about meditation? Is your meditation difficult sometimes like draining or restless?
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited November 2012

I have found Dharmic study easier than meditation. Sometimes it seems to be the difference between the contemplation of doing something and just doing it.
    Most westerners I've met have there identification intrinsically tied to their mental processing and both can be empowered by Dharmic study.
    Meditation however, being a window of whatever lies beyond our habitual mental fiddling, provides little support of ones identification.
    This idea probably won't be popular here but I think if ones meditation doesn't make you feel a bit uncomfortable, you are probably on cruise control.
    OneLifeForm
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2012
    @how, I don't think you should say "I am on cruise control". (and my meditation is far from cruise control as with all my psych drugs my body does not feel good) You may be right that 'good feeling' is not the goal of meditation (certainly) but feeling bad is also not a goal. Sure you can learn a lot, but I wouldn't worry about either 'bad' or 'good'. That is buying into dukkha/sukkha in my opinion.. solidifying a real self who is 'cruising' or 'bruising'. Spaciousness is the energy that permeates ecstacy but also depression. If one has been depressed they know what it is to have pain and negativity expand to cover everything. That is spaciousness or the energy of mindfulness. It expands whether ecstacy or depression. With ecstacy there are also lessons in ego to learn, such as not grasping onto an "I" who is experiencing 'good' and then trying to get 'more'.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited November 2012
    @jeffrey
    Didn't even think of you! I was responding to the op leaning towards dharma study over meditation practise. Dharma study never makes me uncomfortable whereas meditation can often be so. Perhaps its the old Zen saying of "always be disturbed by the truth".
    I also didn't get where you thought I was recommending a good feeling over a bad one or vise versa as a reason to do either.. I was just saying why Dharma study can be an easier choice for some folks to make. I believe you said the same thing on the 2nd post with less verbiage.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    I should also say that most folks have found their practise at sometime dominated by Suttra study and at other times, meditation.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2012
    @how, I think we totally don't understand what the other wrote :) My first post was reacting to the comment about cruise control. I also did not think you were talking about me, I was just commenting that I am defending 'good feeling=cruise control' but that in my personal experience I didn't have that good feeling.

So the point I am thinking of is not to worry if you are on cruise control. Just get interested in whatever experience you *are* having and don't look to get a different one.

But I think what you were trying to say was that it can be of value to have difficulty meditating and I agree with that. What ever your experience you open to that and see what is there.

Ah and I should mention that sutra study you can learn a map of what I am saying in my first post, but only from daily awareness and sitting have I tested what my teacher said or what I have read.
  • I was wondering why I keep reading more about studying and less about meditation and leading a good life?
    Meditation and a good life will change you. No doubt. You can not get fit by reading about it. You can not gain enlightenment by sitting under someone elses tree . . . and now back to the experts . . . :wave:
  • There are different levels of practice. You can always take a break from one and try the other for a while, and see how it works out. Its about finding the right "tune". :wave:
    lobster
  • That little guy makes me hungry for MnMs :grr: + :wave: = :sawed:
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited November 2012

When we study we gain in understanding and knowledge and we can show off with Sutta-quotes.
    When we study we win.

When we practice precepts we give up bad habits and we drop some of our machismo.
    When we meditate we are confronted with some unpleasant physical sensations and emotions. We stay in this place where we don’t really want to be.
    When we practice we lose.

This can change and then maybe we practice moral behavior because we derive a sense of superiority from it and we prefer meditating (which can feel great at times) over facing our real life problems.
    And then that’s a different pitfall.

I think the ideal situation is that we selflessly do what needs to be done. When we need to iron the sheets we iron the sheets; when it’s time to meditate we meditate and when we need to study some profound text, we study the text.
  • The five occasions when liberation is attained
    as '1.Listening to the Dhamma, 2. Teaching the Dhamma, 3. Repeating
    the Dhamma, 4. Reflecting on the Dhamma and 5.Some concentration
    sign (samadhi nimitta) is rightly reflected upon and understood. Of
    these five occasions, only the last possibly refers to formal
    meditation. This shows that understanding the Dhamma is of paramount
    importance for liberation.'

Anguttara Nikaya 5.26
    This does not mean meditation is less important.
    lobster
  • If you do not have an ethical base and teaching to use as reference, any awakening may unhinge you. You could start a cult or worse. This is why the complete package of the 3 jewels is important.

:)

Seem to be a bit Buddhist today. May have to meditate on a cure :screwy:
  • Maybe u simply enjoy it i know i do lol i think its nice hearing those words of wisdom vrings you bk down to planet earth lol
    lobster