Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Interested In Theravada Path But Nobody In My Area For Instruction

As it says in th title really.

I have seen many posts about people 'converting' to Buddhism but I've come about it at a slightly different angle. I've always been drawn to it but never had the time to actually look to see what it's about until about six months ago, I've been reading around the subject and found it actually ties in with my own beliefs and lifestyle.

I am very drawn to the Theravada path but there's nowhere near me I can go to for instruction, I live in a medium sized town in East Sussex, England. There are groups nearby but I just don't get the right vibe.

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    As a Theravadan monk once told me: "Easy to learn about Buddhism. Read a book. difficult to learn about yourself."
    BhikkhuJayasaraBrianDeepankar
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    The dharmaseed website has heaps of free podcasts. They follow the theravadan tradition but also have the odd guest teacher from a different tradition. I like that.

Good luck!
  • Chithurst in West Sussex is worth visiting. That may be the most authentic vibe available for now . . . They should be able to advise further . . .
  • FairyFellerFairyFeller Veteran
    edited December 2012
    lobster said:

Chithurst in West Sussex is worth visiting. That may be the most authentic vibe available for now . . . They should be able to advise further . . .

I've been looking at their website on and for a few weeks and they give a very welcoming vibe but can't find any contact details and I'm not sure how I'd feel just rolling up and knocking on their door.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    I'd also second Chithurst Buddhist Monastery as I practice in the same tradition and am impressed with the US-equivalent. Their contact info:

Cittaviveka
    Chithurst Buddhist Monastery
    Chithurst, Petersfield,
    Hampshire, GU31 5EU,
    United Kingdom
    Tel: +44 (0)1730 814 986 (Office hours - Main House: Mon, Wed & Sat, 07.00 – 08.00 a.m. Tue & Thu, 10.00 a.m. – 12.00 p.m.)
    Fax: +44 (0)1730 817 334
  • Thank you Jason.

I think I'd been prioritising looking for an email address as I make the mistake of thinking that it's the best way to communicate whereas actually it's probably the second worst only beaten by texting, they're both very impersonal, hard to emote and hard to get across true meaning.
  • They can send out monks to offer instruction. They welcome rabbits, have a library, welcome dana, you get to chat with the abbot or sangha. You can share a meal. You can meditate. They probably still have a maze for walking meditation . . .

It will be fine . . .
    . . . take pics . . . let us know . . . :clap:
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

lobster said:

Chithurst in West Sussex is worth visiting. That may be the most authentic vibe available for now . . . They should be able to advise further . . .

I've been looking at their website on and for a few weeks and they give a very welcoming vibe but can't find any contact details and I'm not sure how I'd feel just rolling up and knocking on their door.
    Have you seen this page - details of local groups? http://www.cittaviveka.org/index.php/about/associated-buddhist-groups

• Check out this webpage. It is full of books and audio talks that can help get you started.

http://www.dhammatalks.org
  • Jason said:

I'd also second Chithurst Buddhist Monastery as I practice in the same tradition and am impressed with the US-equivalent. Their contact info:

Cittaviveka
    Chithurst, Petersfield,
    Hampshire, GU31 5EU,
    United Kingdom
    Tel: +44 (0)1730 814 986 (Office hours - Main House: Mon, Wed & Sat, 07.00 – 08.00 a.m. Tue & Thu, 10.00 a.m. – 12.00 p.m.)

I remember what the problem was now with contacting them, there's no email address and I hate making unsolicited calls or visits. I need to get over that and pay them a visit.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran

Jason said:

Cittaviveka
    Chithurst, Petersfield,
    Hampshire, GU31 5EU,
    United Kingdom

I remember what the problem was now with contacting them, there's no email address and I hate making unsolicited calls or visits. I need to get over that and pay them a visit.
    They EXPECT unsolicited calls.. it's always much better to call or if they have a website with a schedule of events you can show up at one of their public events. You will have the "duck in a crosshairs" feeling showing up not knowing anyone.. I had that at a few places, but I'm sure they are very welcoming and understanding and you'll soon feel more comfortable and confident.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I've mentioned this before, but when I was in Thailand one year on vacation, I had a long conversation with a monk, and lamented about how difficult it is to find a good teacher in the States. His response: ":Easy to learn about Buddhism; buy a book. Difficult to learn about yourself."
  • Buddhadhammasangha.com this site helped me profoundly after I visited a zen temple didn't quite understand while I was at the monastary came home fortunately I stumbled across this website remember to be mindful!!
  • As it says in th title really.

I have seen many posts about people 'converting' to Buddhism but I've come about it at a slightly different angle. I've always been drawn to it but never had the time to actually look to see what it's about until about six months ago, I've been reading around the subject and found it actually ties in with my own beliefs and lifestyle.

I am very drawn to the Theravada path but there's nowhere near me I can go to for instruction, I live in a medium sized town in East Sussex, England. There are groups nearby but I just don't get the right vibe.

At the moment, there is always the net. That's better than Buddha's time, I think.