Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

pranayama practice

I want to complement my daily 30 min meditation with 5-10 min pranayama practice done before the meditation. Is there anyone here doing pranayama/similar yoga practices? Do you have any suggestions/ideas/helpful sources?

Comments

• What is pranayama?
  • I do pranayama exercises before my meditation, but i use kundalini techniques, which i find extremely effective. Here are the basics: http://www.kundaliniyoga.org/pranayam.html
    I usually do them for 5 minutes, or 8 min or 11 min prior to vipassana mediation.
    I also sometimes do a kundalini kriya, like sat kriya, before meditation. You can find more info on the site i provided.
  • No doubt of its goodness, it would be good if you can share the origin, otherwise there is also breathing in vipasana and kongfu in shaolin temple.
  • Pranayama is from the Hindu tradition, as is kundalini paranayama techniques. And i've seen similiar Dzogchen techniques taught by Fabio Andrico, but I don't know if he has a website that gives examples. Is that what you were asking?
  • I didn't know that there are similar Dzogchen techniques, thanks for this information! I know the basics I was rather thinking books/personal experiences. BTW there seem to be much more information on http://www.aypsite.org and some people (including me) might prefer the layout.
    For all I know pranayama is done with closed eyes, do you keep your eyes closed also while doing vipassana Daiva?
  • Pranayama benefits are found within vocal recitation of mantra and dharani. My teacher practiced pranayana as he was born a Hindu. I have practiced yogic pranayama.

Alternate nostril breathing is taught in many yoga classes for beginners.
    http://thewayofmantra.com/blog/?p=1239

I would advise mantra as 'more buddhist' and also more complemetary . . . :wave:
  • Yes, pommmesetoranges, I keep my eyes closed as I do with Vipassana.
    And lobster, the main issue I've had with finding "more buddhist" pranayama practices, is that I can't find anyone who teaches it. They all say it is a Hindu practice. I also like chanting, though Buddhist folks keep telling me it's "not a Buddhist thing." So I rely on the kundalini, since i have a teacher who can answer my questions and teach me various techniques. I've recenting been working with a Buddhist meditation teacher, and she told me to keep up with my kundalini practice, as it does compliment my vipassana meditation.
    And when I dug deeper, I found the Dzogchen practice, however, even with this, there is a teacher that does a retreat here in Los Angeles, but only once a year, so again, it's hard to ask questions. The main teacher, Fabio, does have a helpful Breathing DVD: http://www.amazon.com/breAthe-The-Perfect-Harmony-Breathing/dp/B004XNAH0S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357738581&sr=8-1&keywords=Fabio+andrico
    He also has a couple Yantra Yoga DVDs, if you want to keep your practice "more Buddhist."
    Though, many Dzogchen folks don't follow the pranayama and yantra practices - i had one guy tell me it's "not Buddhist." So I really don't know what is buddhist and what is not buddhist at this point. All i know is that Pranayama has been around for thousands of years, and that i find it highly effective. I do it every day.
    For me, i find many of the breathing exercisies are the same across the traditions, so it doesn't matter where i am drawing the information from. I just have access to a pranayama teacher in the kundalini tradition, so it works for me the best.
    Btw- The alternate breathing exercise that lobster referenced, is one of the most common, and extremely beneficial.
  • The Great Ānāpānasmṛti Sūtra is mainly on breathing method for supreme enlightenment.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anapanasati

According to several teachers in
    Theravada Buddhism, anapanasati alone will lead to the removal of all one's defilements (kilesa) and eventually to enlightenment.

Anapanasati can also be practised with
    other traditional meditation subjects
    including the four frames of reference
    and mettā bhāvanā, as is done in modern Theravadan Buddhism.
  • Daiva said:

I also like chanting, though Buddhist folks keep telling me it's "not a Buddhist thing."

While a lot of people seem to think this, it's not true. Chanting is the main practice of a few sects of Buddhism, including the Pureland and Nichiren schools. For some within those schools, chanting is their only practice.

• Takuan said:

Daiva said:

I also like chanting, though Buddhist folks keep telling me it's "not a Buddhist thing."

While a lot of people seem to think this, it's not true. Chanting is the main practice of a few sects of Buddhism, including the Pureland and Nichiren schools. For some within those schools, chanting is their only practice.

Yes, when I was bouncing around various sangas and asked about receiving instructions on mantras, I was told, "we don't chant, it's not Buddhist." Just as many also told me that Pranayama is not necessary. I am glad now I have found a sangha that doesn't judge anyone about these practices and are supportive of anything that works for you - and as a group keeps the focus on the foundation of the dharma (4NT, 8FP, Metta, Vipassana).
    I found Buddhist chants on my own on YouTube and other sites. And actually, this forum has been a helpful resource to me for many of the chants, and the various traditions I am not exposed to where I live.
  • Chanting is also another good way of contemplation or focus or vipasana.
  • Chanting is also another good way of contemplation or focus or vipasana.
  • Daiva said:

Takuan said:

Daiva said:

Yes, when I was bouncing around various sangas and asked about receiving instructions on mantras, I was told, "we don't chant, it's not Buddhist." Just as many also told me that Pranayama is not necessary. I am glad now I have found a sangha that doesn't judge anyone about these practices and are supportive of anything that works for you - and as a group keeps the focus on the foundation of the dharma (4NT, 8FP, Metta, Vipassana).
    I found Buddhist chants on my own on YouTube and other sites. And actually, this forum has been a helpful resource to me for many of the chants, and the various traditions I am not exposed to where I live.
    If you don't mind my asking, what school of thought did these sanghas come from?
  • This is good if you want to really get into it

youtube.com/watch?v=fcPjvp4La8A
  • Takuan, I asked folks at Sakyu, Kagyu sanghas and the Shambala center.
  • Daiva said:

Takuan, I asked folks at Sakyu, Kagyu sanghas and the Shambala center.

I'm actually of the Shambhala sangha, and, while it isn't a big practice, there is some chanting. In fact, my meditation instructor encouraged mantra if it was needed to help one concentrate.

• When I asked the meditation teacher at Shambala they said they didn't teach it. I did go to their sunday meditation for a while, everyone was nice, but I was looking for something different.
    Am now going to Against The Stream. They also don't chant or do pranayama in the group meditations, but at the same time they encourage you to try out these practices on your own. They have plenty of diverse workshops fram various traditions to do just that. Next week Thanissaro Bhikkhu is teaching a breathing class. Shinzen Young is giving a talk as well. There was a Kundalini series last month.
    Am not criticizing the fact that most traditions don't chant or do pranayama - am just saying i had to do a lot of research on my own because this information was not available to me in the sanghas I visited. And it worked out great, because i experienced various traditions, tried out multiple pranayama and chant workshops/classes, and met some great people. I now have a more solid practice - except for consistently getting myself on the cushion and sitting through my restlessness, which my new teacher is giving me guidance on.
    Deepankar
  • If you would to explore buddha teaching, he never once asked his students to do group meditation etc. He is solely on teaching or in order word dharma talks about the mind and the meditation of the student is on their own. Mantra is one form of extremely delightful meditational practice as well. The mantra has a profound mind in it although can be explained but it is favourable to remain as it is in the chant because it directly providing a neutral perspective into the wandering mind to cut the flow, and the mantra has an amazing merit and blessng depending on the level of achievement. There are both short and long mantra.