Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation for beginners.

Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
We all come from different walks in life or practices, so we all will have influences of other practices, or blended Buddhism. Each will have teachers and authors to read, but there is no pure Buddha amongst us now-- there are influences blended from multiple practices in almost every practice as adopted by an individual. That is why one needs input from forums as well as word teachings quoted.

The topic is meditation and the more I read the more I realize/recognize that what I first called meditation is not Buddhistic meditation rather it is monkey thought and monkey mind in Buddhistic sense of word. Emptying mind is foreign to monkey and would work and learn to become less monkey. So share with me more tricks. Counting helps, but I find myself relaxed so much I forget to count. Is that a goal in this case?

I would like some experiences put into words here, please. For a beginner, but about meditation.

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Here's a pretty straightforward description of zazen or Zen meditation ... with pix.

After 40 years, I favor counting the breath, a practice that may be called a "beginner's" practice, but in fact, assuming anyone could count from one to ten, will tell the entire story.

Determination is what is brought to bear when the mind bounces around, as it is bound to do. At each sticking point ("I want a Big Mac," "I've got to balance my checkbook," "Enlightenment or bust!" etc.) simply return to one and begin again. Always ... begin again.

Patience, courage and doubt are your best allies.

Best wishes.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2013
    It is the nature of mind to wander. I think this is always the case even with single pointed concentration as that practice cannot change the nature of mind.

It is also the nature of mind to return. When we practice rather than getting upset we have wandered away, why not celebrate the return?

Consider carefully why meditate? And to that result ask why do you want this? And why? And why? And why? This leads straight to the citta or heart.
    Begin_Being
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    I have always thought meditation led to enlightenment. This kind is different from the monkey thinking kind. Thanks for input.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2013
    It's like driving a car. You drift away from the speedometer but then drift back when you intuit to check your speed. So that as an analogy to meditation sometimes you are very present with the breath and then you drift off.

It is important not to drift off all the session, but also you should not feel that you have 'the wrong' mind for drifting. If you couldn't drift and focus alternately you could not do something like drive a car where you need do more than just feel your nostril.

At the same time it can be a rich interesting practice to just feel the nostril, but you will never ever get totally away from the drifting mind. Well I don't know what a Buddha consciousness is like so I am not sure!
  • PatrPatr Veteran
    Meditation is putting into practice Buddhism, the Sutras are but teachings.
    Meditation is mind training, just as we go to the gym to keep fit.

Application is our personal conduct. It all ties in.
    Thank you, that is pelucid.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    "I have always thought meditation led to enlightenment."

Enjoy it while you can ...

And then get back to work. :)
    Yes, so it goes, Adam.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

So share with me more tricks. Counting helps, but I find myself relaxed so much I forget to count. Is that a goal in this case?

I would like some experiences put into words here, please. For a beginner, but about meditation.

My zen teacher says the "trick" is to just do the counting. It's one of his favorite sayings: "Just do it" he says. So with counting, the goal is just to count. But since it is natural for the monkey mind to wander, it's sometimes impossible to keep the count. So you are sitting there counting your breathing and you lose the count for whatever reason. All you do is return to the counting.

Often beginners see the goal as "keeping the count" without ever losing the count. But because they keep losing the count they wonder if they are doing it right or not. They become frustrated because they are supposed to be keeping the count but they can't. So they think they might be doing something wrong. A better statement of the goal I think would be "return to the count", rather than "keep the count". So just keep returning, over and over. My zen teacher says every time you return, you get a little bit of wisdom. Smart guy. :)
    JeffreyStraight_ManBegin_Being
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    My 'forum input'.....:)

To get your mind off of the monkey
    mind, put it on the breath. count it or not.
    If that doesn't work.....put your mind on your
    heartbeat instead. count it or not.

Just put your mind on
    what separates the living and the dead.
    The breath and the heartbeat. Either or.
    Thats enough insightful shit to keep
    the monkey mind pretty distant for at least a
    couple of seconds....That very moment...the
    very 1 in the counting is all in the 1.

Try the heartbeat method....I still use it
    from time to time, if my physical location
    is pretty bad, and I just need to feel one beat
    because I can't even settle on a count, let alone
    steady the breath. Noticing my heart seems to
    steady my breath, and I can go from there.

• If you're looking for instruction, David Nichtern offers a very informational video on basic Mindfulness meditation.

It's hard to concentrate on the breath at first, but it gets a little easier over time. A constant practice is key. It's also important to be patient. If you cannot calm your mind down, that's fine... just keep practicing. If you have a thought, note it and continue your practice. If the thought is persistent, in the words of Ethan Nichtern "take it out on a second date", examine and try to deconstruct the thought. What makes you feel this way? Where does it come from? What does it really mean? This usually helps quell the distracting thought and once you're done examining it you can return to your regular practice.

Sometimes we get so caught up in trying to disassociate ourselves from our thoughts, that we forget that, at times, we need to work with them. It's sort of like having an annoying younger brother. You can try to ignore him, but the more you do so the more he tries to annoy you. In such cases, it's sometimes better to give the sibling a little attention, maybe play a game or go out for some ice cream. Once you've spent sometime with him, he'll leave you alone, at least for a little bit.
    Begin_Being
  • @Takuan, do you have a little brother? :) Just curious hehe....
  • @Jeffrey,

Yes, I have a younger sibling. lol
  • I would like some experiences put into words here, please. For a beginner, but about meditation.
    sit,
    Not sitting
    Really no different . . .
    Beginners like me, always prepare for meditation and finish meditating
    They think meditation is an activity . . . Tsk, tsk

However all activity is meditation. Do simple activities a little more mindfully and slower.
    Really no different . . .
    Not sitting
    Sit
    Straight_ManThailandTomBegin_Being