Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Should I want to lose weight?

TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
I have read that in Buddhism you should not desire a perfect body or to be more attractive because it brings no permanent happiness and may cause suffering instead, I agree with that but I feel I have to lose weight. I am borederline overweight and not happy about it, not only beacuse I want to look better and to feel better but for health reasons such as it being a well known fact that just being slightly overweight can lead to long term health conditions and aso out of the fear that if I do not take control of my weight now it could worsen

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    The third precept states that you should abstain from sexual misconduct. I include sensual misconduct in there as well i.e. don't over indulge in eating, television, newspapers, fiction novels etc.

Try to be mindful of what you eat and don't over indulge.

Do you have an understanding of the type of foods you should and shouldn't eat regularly? I know you're young so you may not have that education. As Oprah says "When you know better, you do better". Cheesy yes, but it's true.

I can PM you some information if you want it.

Add a little exercise into your day. Walk upstairs whenever the opportunity arises instead of taking the lift. Walk to the shops instead of driving.

Forget the goal and just make these small changes. The weight will fall away naturally.

Good luck young man! Keep posting your progress if that helps. You'll find plenty of encouragement on this site!
  • It's good to want to feel better. That's what Buddhism is about; Buddha said he taught one thing, the end of suffeirng.

Prolonging your life will give more time to practice.
    BonsaiDougblu3ree
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    Diets don't really work, because the foods most available are basically toxic, in that they are too processed and contain sugar.

If we simply eat real food and get a reasonable amount of physical activity our weigh should be under control, and we'll be much healthier.
    BunksMaryAnne
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    If your end goal is better health as opposed to the vanity of "looking better," then there is no conflict with Buddhist principles as I understand it.
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Nevermind said:

Diets don't really work, because the foods most available are basically toxic, in that they are too processed and contain sugar.

If we simply eat real food and get a reasonable amount of physical activity our weigh should be under control, and we'll be much healthier.

My wife and I did Weight Watchers several years ago and agreed that, while we lost weight, the processed crap we were putting into our system was unhealthy and unsustainable.
    MaryAnne
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited January 2013
    it's all about intention... the monks chant the reflection on requisites with regards to food -

I partake in this food with mindful reflection, not out of enjoyment nor intoxication or gluttony, nor to make the body attractive, but for the continued health and maintenance of this body.

I'd say you can apply that mindset directly to losing weight. Do you want to do it to have a healthy body which can allow you to live longer and practice better? or is the intention to get better chicks and a raise?
    BunksInvincible_summerTheEccentric
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    Should you want to? Well... you do want to and you seem to have some good reasons also - it's happening, go for it and good luck!
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Thaankyou guys I will try now, I know what to eat and what not to the only problem will be the will-power needed to stick to that.

Bunks
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran

Thaankyou guys I will try now, I know what to eat and what not to the only problem will be the will-power needed to stick to that.

certainly no easy task.. it's an issue I struggle with to this day.
  • Always Eat as healthy as possible. Restriction diets don't work long term - at least not for 98% of those who try them. 98%. There are no "good" or "bad" foods... only unbalanced eating.

Always Eat as healthy as possible, keep your numbers good (cholesterol, glucose, triglycerides, etc), be as active as possible with exercise and fun activities (walking, swimming, cycling, etc) and allow your body to settle into it's 'natural' balanced state of healthy weight and strength.

Don't let society, or fashion dictate what that 'natural' weight (or look) should be.
    Bunks
  • I have read that in Buddhism you should not desire a perfect body or to be more attractive because it brings no permanent happiness and may cause suffering instead, I agree with that but I feel I have to lose weight. I am borederline overweight and not happy about it, not only beacuse I want to look better and to feel better but for health reasons such as it being a well known fact that just being slightly overweight can lead to long term health conditions and aso out of the fear that if I do not take control of my weight now it could worsen

TheEccentric, I don't know where you read that but I would take that with a pinch of salt. It should be okay to want a perfect body. What's wrong with impermanent happiness? You are not having any permanent happiness yet; so a little bit of impermanent happiness should be great. Just that don't get overboard with that desire.That's when the suffering starts. As it is, you are already not happy with your weight now and there is already suffering. And here's a story of Buddha which I would to share with you:
    After Buddha left the palace, he became an ascetic. Like true ascetic, he lived life to the extreme. He punished his body severely and went without food and became very thin and nearly died even until one day, when he saw a musician tuning his guitar. When the string is tuned too tight, it breaks; when it is tuned too loose; the guitar will not play. Following this, Buddha started to take care of his body.

Go for six-packs, TheEccentric!
    TheEccentric
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    edited January 2013

The good news is that it actually can take less willpower to eat well once doing it, because the body will not believe it's starving constantly. Sugar, high fructose corn syrup and the like, really reck havoc with our system. It will not feel like doing without once clean and sober, so to speak.
    MaryAnne
  • blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited January 2013
    after a while your stomach will get smaller and you wont be as hungry. so when your stomach starts growling and uve eaten a few times that day know that in the next 30 mins your stomach when you dont drop stuff into it will say ok ok ill get smaller so i dont keep bothering you :) try eating throughout the day smaller meals and more veggies and fruits cant ever go wrong snacking on veggies n fruits! if you mix this with running even 5-10 mins at a time spread over 5 hours so maybe you spend a total of 45 mins running and some stretching/yoga there is no reason why you shouldnt loose weight.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Actually a very recent study just came out saying those who are classified as overweight tend to live longer than those who are considered "normal" weights. That was mostly based on BMI, as far as what they classified overweight and obese as though, and BMI has plenty of problems.

One book I read, and really enjoyed, was "Savor" which is written with Thich Nhat Hahn. It has a lot of practices for mindful eating which I found quite helpful in bringing more mindfulness to my eating. The book was written by someone else, and I actually skipped over parts, because some of it was very basic beginner Buddhism and some of it was too much "if you are fat you should feel bad." But I left that stuff alone and used what I could and really enjoyed those things. Mindful eating is something very against the nature of how most of us in the western world have lived our whole lives. It's a struggle to implement it and you learn quickly how bad your eating habits are, even if you aren't eating a ton of junk food. It was an eye opening practice.
  • ToshTosh Veteran

not only beacuse I want to look better and to feel better but for health reasons such as it being a well known fact that just being slightly overweight can lead to long term health conditions and aso out of the fear that if I do not take control of my weight now it could worsen

Much of Buddhism seems to be about what our intentions are. For example giving a present to someone with the intention of wanting something back in return would not be good, er skillfull, but giving a present to someone with the intention of making them happy would be.

The same could be applied to losing weight. Maybe if you lost weight with the intention that a healthier body would make you more useful and able to practise compassion for others, I think that would give you more 'power' than using will power alone. I know that will power only ever gets me so far, I need more.

Another idea would be to lose weight for a charity of your choice, that would be a motivating thing; I've a friend who only kept up his marathon training because he was getting donations for a cancer charity. He says he wouldn't have completed the training or the marathon if it wasn't for the thought of letting other people down.

And saying all that, I lost 20 lbs last year, and I can't say that my intentions were wholly because I wanted to practise compassion for others; but it was certainly in with the mix of reasons for doing so.

TheEccentric
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    This may just be common sense, but I found that just by drinking at least 1L of water/day helped me keep what I thought were constant hunger pangs away. Turns out I was just thirsty or something, but it did help me keep my random eating to a minimum and keep extra weight off.

BTW: carrots + hummous are a delicious combination for snacking.

But even though Buddhism discourages attachment to the body, being health =/= attachment IMO. If you're obsessed with working out everyday and taking pics of yourself in the bathroom mirror all the time, that's problematic. If you just want to be healthier/happier, that's a totally different story.
    BunksTheEccentric