Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Posters

I want to create some posters for my own use to remind me of the basics of Buddhism to post around the house. The Four Noble Truths, The Noble Eightfold Path etc. with their explanations.

Does anybody have any examples I can use or some ideas?

Comments

• I painted a flower with the ground all mucked up. I am an unskilled painter so the ground looked like crap but that's the point that the flower grows out of something that is a mess. The flower had 4 leaves to symbolize the Four Noble Truths.

I also painted a meditator with all kinds of auras around him and a branching semi-trunk winding through the auras with a quasi-stream flowing out of the edges of the painting and winding with the branch of the tree.

I also painted a flower with colored pencils in a dark set black and blue 'weather' around it. The faint pink flower symbolized the awake part of the heart in all this surrounding darkness.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I have an old table runner that instead of throwing away, I did a painstakingly long process of copying the Heart Sutra onto. I decided to use these large letter stamps to spell it all out... So, I was working one letter at a time, painting each one individually (because ink wouldn't show on the fabric). It took many hours. But for me, the point was as much to help memorize it as to create something I could hang on the wall.
    sharonsaw
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I remember coming across this image once, maybe something in it can help give you some ideas, or just print it out.

• Jeffrey said:

I painted a flower with the ground all mucked up. I am an unskilled painter so the ground looked like crap but that's the point that the flower grows out of something that is a mess. The flower had 4 leaves to symbolize the Four Noble Truths.

I also painted a meditator with all kinds of auras around him and a branching semi-trunk winding through the auras with a quasi-stream flowing out of the edges of the painting and winding with the branch of the tree.

I also painted a flower with colored pencils in a dark set black and blue 'weather' around it. The faint pink flower symbolized the awake part of the heart in all this surrounding darkness.

Your painting reminder me of this.

• Does anybody have any examples I can use or some ideas?

Above each poster in big letters 'WHAT IS THIS?'
    http://www.tricycle.com/-practice/what

. . . Be reminded by that . . .
  • Calligraphy is always nice.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    O yes, calligraphy. How about Palzang's old signature?:
    Don't believe everything that you think!

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran

I'd forgotten about that! Awesome.
    I wonder what he's up to these days... Haven't seen him in a long time.
  • Interesting discussion - I was reading abou Jeffrey's paintings.

Probly out-of-left-field but it reminded me of a fabulous artist -

http://alexgrey.com/

Good luck with the posters

Love the cheat sheet!

Cheers
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    Oops, I cannot believe that I didn't mention our own Daily Dhamma Drops as a wonderful source. Definitely an inspiration!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

I'd forgotten about that! Awesome.
    I wonder what he's up to these days... Haven't seen him in a long time.

He's in prison from what I've heard. Apparently the Catholic Church doesn't have a monopoly on child molestation scandals.
  • Sad. For everyone.
  • I have never actually created any Buddhist related art, I am going to do that tomorrow and I am delighted because have one small logo design job on and want to do something fun and without a brief as such. If the poster is pointing to the 4NTs or the 8fold path I would like to try and make a poster that gets that across those points but which also looks interesting and memorable.

Anyway this is an example of a Buddhist poster/art thing which I like, not mine but it is kinda cool I guess.