Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Yogas

blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
edited February 2013 in General Banter
I recently just found out whAt kriya yoga was although I've been practicing it for a while. So it brings me to the question of what other yogas are out there? Not so much interested in the Streches but things that bring upon ones well being such as kriya yoga and other methods that increase mindfulness.
Today I practiced a kundalini breathing method called ocean breathe and fire breathe is kundalini a deity or just what that method of mindfull breathing is? ( for lack of a sound understanding)

Comments

• chariramacharirama Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Iyengar Yoga is very deep but starts with the asanas (poses) and builds up.
    I recommend the book "Light On Life" by B.K.S Iyengar as a place to start. He has other books that go into great detail including one about Pranayama (breathing).
    B.K.S. Iyengar--hailed as "the Michelangelo of yoga" (BBC) and considered by many to be the most important living yoga master--has spent much of his life introducing the modern world to the ancient practice of yoga. Yoga's popularity is soaring, but its widespread acceptance as an exercise for physical fitness and the recognition of its health benefits have not been matched by an understanding of the emotional, intellectual, and spiritual development that the yogic tradition can also offer. In Light on Life, B.K.S. Iyengar brings readers this new and more complete understanding of the yogic journey. Written with the depth of this sage's great wisdom, Light on Life is the culmination of a master's spiritual genius, a treasured companion to his seminal Light on Yoga.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I practice Kriya Yoga. Highly recommend it~!
    blu3ree
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    as far as i have read about kundalini, i can say that kundalini is the energy which is inside human body but remains subsided, but which can be aroused. the stages of kundalini awakening are that initially kundalini flows through ida and pingala and then is made to flow through the central channel shushumna. as the energy rises it passes through the six chakras or energy centers of the human body and then finally at the seventh chakra or crown chakra, when kundalini flows through it, then it leads to the meeting of Shakti(or matter or prakriti) with Shiva(or Consciousness) leading to Self-Realization.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    I practice and go to a weekly class that is a mix of Hatha and Vinyasa yoga. They say Kundalini is the type of yoga for the "meditative" side of Yoga. I don't disagree however to me as with all things the "type" of activity makes very little difference.

what makes a difference is your mindset and effort put into mindfulness as you practice. I try to be as much in the present moment when I do yoga as when I do parkour or any other activity. So don't worry too much about which type this and which type that.. practice mindfulness in all activity :)
    blu3reeZero
  • blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited February 2013

as far as i have read about kundalini, i can say that kundalini is the energy which is inside human body but remains subsided, but which can be aroused. the stages of kundalini awakening are that initially kundalini flows through ida and pingala and then is made to flow through the central channel shushumna. as the energy rises it passes through the six chakras or energy centers of the human body and then finally at the seventh chakra or crown chakra, when kundalini flows through it, then it leads to the meeting of Shakti(or matter or prakriti) with Shiva(or Consciousness) leading to Self-Realization.

The video I watched on YouTube taught me how to tighten the pelvic muscles it surprised me how much energy flowed through when they got tightened was definatly an energetic practice.
    This was kinda where the video stopped though it defiantly helped with opening my chakras. I heard somewhere one should start from the bottom and build their way up with kundalini being the first.
  • charirama said:

Iyengar Yoga is very deep but starts with the asanas (poses) and builds up.
    I recommend the book "Light On Life" by B.K.S Iyengar as a place to start. He has other books that go into great detail including one about Pranayama (breathing).

B.K.S. Iyengar--hailed as "the Michelangelo of yoga" (BBC) and considered by many to be the most important living yoga master--has spent much of his life introducing the modern world to the ancient practice of yoga. Yoga's popularity is soaring, but its widespread acceptance as an exercise for physical fitness and the recognition of its health benefits have not been matched by an understanding of the emotional, intellectual, and spiritual development that the yogic tradition can also offer. In Light on Life, B.K.S. Iyengar brings readers this new and more complete understanding of the yogic journey. Written with the depth of this sage's great wisdom, Light on Life is the culmination of a master's spiritual genius, a treasured companion to his seminal Light on Yoga.
    Hope they have some good videos on YouTube. :)))))))
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    please go through the below url to know about kundalini in slightly more detail:
    http://www.swamij.com/kundalini-awakening.htm
  • The way I see yoga is if your not mindful when your doing it poses especially one can seriously hurt themselves. I was introduced to ischims yoga ( misspelled here but that is how it's pronounced ) where their philosophy was no pain no pain which was very convienient bc when my body isnt regularly flexed my tendons muscles all get tensed up.

Thanks for the links!!!
  • http://www.aypsite.org

This is the only raja yoga I have ever experienced. Many people claim results from this practice, but I honestly didn't get too much out of it.
    blu3ree
  • Takuan said:

http://www.aypsite.org

This is the only raja yoga I have ever experienced. Many people claim results from this practice, but I honestly didn't get too much out of it.

Thanks that is a very helpful website
  • As someone who has taught yoga, I know how easy it is, to not understand its meditative component. At the moment, classes that enter an asana and then meditate in the pose are not widely practiced. The system I learned and taught was health generating but not as good as kriya or original hatha yoga. I used to go classes, very slow, gently into an asana and breath naturally in the pose type also. Very relaxing but only now do I appreciate this meditative approach. The gentler, slower and less gymnastics and special techniques, the closer to Yoga, the yoke, union with self. Integration.
    Namaste to all Yogis.
    :wave:
    BhikkhuJayasara
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    yoga is internal body technology

the whole body can breathe, and awareness can be brought to all parts of the body,
    even your jaw, gums, eyeballs, teeth, fingers, toes, elbows, waist, knees, back, belly, thighs, heels, shoulders, ears, neck, and so on

there are many effective methods, experiment to find what works most harmoniously

a powerful method begins with good posture, which starts with the feet and levels at the hips and shoulders.

the whole body can breathe, and awareness can be brought to all parts of the body,
    so when you breathe in through your nose, through the head, down through the lungs and stomach area, bring awareness to specific places. Enliven their energies.

starting from the crown of your head and moving down to your toes is a sound method of undulation.

the reverse, beginning from the feet and moving upwards, is deep and effective also.

the whole body can breathe, and awareness can be brought to all parts of the body.
    the whole body can breathe, and awareness can be brought to all parts of the body.

blu3ree
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I started doing DDP Yoga. I highly suggest it!!
    blu3ree
  • blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited February 2013
    sova said:

yoga is internal body technology

even your jaw, gums, eyeballs, teeth, fingers, toes, elbows, waist, knees, back, belly, thighs, heels, shoulders, ears, neck, and so on

there are many effective methods, experiment to find what works most harmoniously

a powerful method begins with good posture, which starts with the feet and levels at the hips and shoulders.

so when you breathe in through your nose, through the head, down through the lungs and stomach area, bring awareness to specific places. Enliven their energies.

starting from the crown of your head and moving down to your toes is a sound method of undulation.

the reverse, beginning from the feet and moving upwards, is deep and effective also.

So the method of the crown through to the bottom of the spine raises the question in my mind was is different between kundalini and kriya yoga

Awesome video leon!!!!!!!