Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Rebirth and Jhanas

shanyinshanyin Novice YoginSault Ontario Veteran
Someone stated on youtube that if you enter a jhana just once you go to its variety of corresponding realms when you die.

I looked into it and found a chart of the realms, so it seems it is a legit claim.

I think the realms that you can go to are heavenly and long lasting. I thought rebirth was more based on our actions in this life.

I was curious because I think I entered the first jhana as a teenager now I have difficulty meditating at all!

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    shanyin said:

Someone stated on youtube that if you enter a jhana just once you go to its variety of corresponding realms when you die.

I looked into it and found a chart of the realms, so it seems it is a legit claim.

I think the realms that you can go to are heavenly and long lasting. I thought rebirth was more based on our actions in this life.

I was curious because I think I entered the first jhana as a teenager now I have difficulty meditating at all!

you don't "enter" jhana, it comes naturally when your mind is inclined towards it. I've also thought I may of been in first jhana once or twice but trying to rationalize and think that stuff out is just a detrement to your practice.

They say you can't reach nibbana by striving for it... If you are worrying " oh I can't do jhana anymore like I did as a kid" .. Firstly your perception has changed and who knows of you even did do first jhana, and secondly that's attachment to a phenomenon that is long gone, another detrement to practice.

If you are worrying about trying to get into realms and what your rebirth will be and can I jhana or can't I... You won't get anywhere. If you can get to a point where you just continue to practice because you know insight and jhana will come eventually.. And go eventually.. Then you are on the right track.
    MaryAnne
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2013
    IMHO You are just a temporary coalescing of karma inertia.
    There was no more recognizable you in the countless streams of karma that contributed to your birth, than there is when that karmic inertia disperses at death.

Meditation is just difficult. It's the attempt to let go of the habitual control that we normally believe makes us who we are. Anything we hang onto or push away just makes meditation a challenge.
    Past Jhana's only make meditation challenging if it's something we hold onto or push away like any other phenomena.

• in regards to rebirth.

it seems its highly dependent upon the instant you die and what is going on then.

and what is going on then is highly dependent upon previous moments and conditioning.

for one instance I remember hearing a talk about a guy who knew he was going to die soon and he realized that his whole life had been a waste and the only thing that came out of his like was the realization that all these avenues he took were just a waste of time and he really didn't have the insight to orient his life towards things that really mattered.

so i believe one takes what is in their heart and that intention inclines strongly towards ones next life.

if we practice and cultivate a wholesome life then when we die we can also have more a change to choose and orientate the mind to the next life.

Just like in the present if we lead a wholesome life then we will have more good days coming in the future.

The hallmark of a mature practitioner is one who emphasizes the present and places a lot of importance in getting the present in order because he or she knows that is what determines the future moments to come.

In regards to Jhana. If one has the capacity to enter jhana then one can master these highly refined state of mind. But no matter how wonderful they are they are still constructions and anyone who is sincere on their path will realize that which is fabricated is impermanent and not worthy of our time and investment in the long run. The purpose imho for jhana is to cultivate a baseline of well being and to realize that even rarified stratas of mind are suffering thus one truly inclines towards the deathless, nirvana.

Just some thoughts and opinions for you.
    howJeffreyMaryAnne
  • Inc88Inc88 Explorer
    The way i was told is (in short), if one is about to die they can meditate and if they manage to reach a jhana state then due to the pure state of mind a higher rebirth is more likely BUT if you've lived a life filled with anger hate ect good luck trying.

When it comes to rebirth i was also told that there is an order that kamma follows starting with the fewer major moments closer to death working backwards then the numerous minor moments starting closer to death and working backwards throughout ones life.
  • Seems to me, (and I'm only speaking my own opinion, here) when one 'worries' about one's own rebirth, or one's own karmic accumulations, one is attaching themselves to the idea of "rewards" and "punishments".
    Nothing good should be done for rewards, and nothing bad should be done thinking there will be no punishment.
    Just do what is right, and just, and moral.
    Because, after all, Buddhism is not dwelling in the past, nor worrying about the future... there is only this moment....
    howBhikkhuJayasaralobster
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    MaryAnne said:

Just do what is right, and just, and moral.

Worry about it? Yes... no... perhaps? Teachings tell us that "death-proximate kamma" is important. So doing what you describe above is very important, as we never know when we will draw our last breath.