Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Comments

• Personally, I love this teaching by HE Tsem Rinpoche on "Love Without Agenda" http://blog.tsemtulku.com/tsem-tulku-rinpoche/buddhas-dharma/love-without-agenda.html

This teaching tells us that what we seek happiness from all our lives are false - they are empty of existence, which is why we never achieve real happiness.

I quote from it:
    Every action we do, we don’t need to think about it, we don’t need to generate it – “I want happiness for myself. I want something for myself. I want to gain something for myself.” That is the basic fundamental automatic thought that we have. What happens is if we meditate or if we focus and we think about that, it doesn’t bring us happiness, what we have been doing. And we may call it diverse or different or hobbies or passions or we can label it anything we want. It’s just a label. Label means that it itself doesn’t exist on its own from its own side. Exist from itself from its own side doesn’t mean the action doesn’t exist. It means the reason for the action and the result of the action doesn’t exist so therefore that action is empty of existence. Please listen very carefully.

When we want to steal from someone, the very motivation of stealing from someone is to gain some kind of happiness. But that stealing from someone is empty of existence. Why? It’s empty of existence because the reason for it will not bear fruit. The very reason you engage in that action will not bear fruit, meaning to have peace, to have happiness, to have wealth, to have respect. So if we cannot get the result of that action and we engage in that action, in Buddhism on this level we call it empty of its existence. So please listen carefully.

“Empty of its existence” doesn’t mean that the action doesn’t exist. It doesn’t mean that the person or the doer or the receiver or the recipient doesn’t exist. It means that the motivation for the action and the reason for the action and outcome – that’s the secret – the outcome we want for the action is empty of existence. Why? Because when the method is incorrect, the result cannot arise. So therefore when we engage in spiritual practice, it is hard. It is difficult. The harder it is, the more difficult it is shows us how strong our ego is. It shows us how incredibly strong our selfish mind is.
  • To Be or Not to Be... Is that the question?

Thank you for the smile... for this, I am surely grateful.