Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Help me learn about the 3 Buddhist schools?

Hello there, I'm fairly new here and I've decided to let Buddhism be apart of my life not too long ago. I've been trying to learn more about it and I was wondering if some of you could summarize up the 3 schools of Buddhism; Theravada, Mahayana, and Vajrayana, so that I may have a better insight on them. I'd like to state that I'm very thankful for any information you have.

Comments

• Here goes;
    Theravada was supposed to be the Buddha's original teachings when he was in Human form. All his teachings were compiled into the Tripitaka, or three baskets.
    The Nikayas are the best place to start reading as they contain most of the essentials of Buddhist teachings. In Theravada monasteries, there is only a singular Buddha.

Mainstream Mahayana introduces us to the Bodhisattvas and numerous other Buddhas, that make up the Buddhist pantheon. Other sutras were also added that expands on some of the earlier doctrines. I suppose this is the second chapter, expanding on the core Theravada teachings.

Theravada and Mahayana is not ritual based but on study, the Sutras and practice, Meditation.

Vajrayana is the most recent, but present day Tibetan Buddhism has many elements of Hinduism absorbed into it, esoteric practices and has some rituals as well.

The foundation is the same for all three, only the later ones have alot of add-ons.

A beginner would do well to start with Theravada, but that depends on the nearest monastery... yes? As you progress, you can then choose which is more suitable.

To summarise, the teachings are the Sutras, Meditation is the practice. Application is your personal conduct as you travel along the path.
    WomanOfPeaceBrianchela
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Vajrayana is the most recent, but present day Tibetan Buddhism has many elements of Hinduism absorbed into it, esoteric practices and has some rituals as well.

This is a common form of Ignorance Vajrayana comes from Buddha Vajradhara whom is actually Buddha's enjoyment body. Vajrayana has a rather strict system of lineage and vow keeping and to mix with Non Buddhist teachings is a great downfall.

TheEccentric
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited February 2013
    you may find the info on this page will help answer your question - http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/buddhistworld/schools1.htm

There is a debate as to whether there are just two main schools (Theravada and Mahayana) or whether Vajrayana(Tibetan) is it's own school and not just under Mahayana, so that will vary depending on whom you ask.

and also this link which goes into Vajrayana and various schools from China and Japan -
    http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/history/schools.htm

at the very bottom of the second link is a comparative study of the schools that I've always found useful.
    sndymornWomanOfPeace
  • Individual Vehicle or Hinayana: refuge vows, refraining from any harm, development of samadhi, decelopment of insight, aim is individual nirvana or the emptiness of self. Vows are a must and should never be broken.

Greater/Wider Vehicle or Mahayana: built on the basis of the Individual Vehicle. Starts with recognition of two fold emptiness (self and phenomena). Compassion is stressed along wih prajna wisdom (particulary the emptiness of phenomena). Aim is ceaseless compassionate activity for all sentient beings. Intention is much more stressed over following strict vows.

Diamond Vehicle or Vajrayana: Taking the fruit of enlightenment as the path. The teacher gives a glimpse of the natural state and the path is to build a relationship with that through various practices dependent on the capacity of the individual. This vehicle is also built ontop of the two other yanas as a basis. The only vow is to stay in the natural state.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2013
    @Jason, thank you for your above post in this (I'm sure) To-Be-Awesome Thread.

I will have to go back through my old paperback books from the seventies (if I can still find them) and reread them. I first read them in the mid seventies, but I don't recall any of this sort of nuance, I just remember being overawed.

@WomanOfPeace, Buddhist thought and the history of its practice and development is one of the most immensely interesting things in the world. Buddhism represents the most truly countercultural culture imaginable to me, and its many "schools" make up quite the tapestry. I really like the word "school," in that it carries with it so many nuances: Groups (fish travel in schools), Educational Centers (such as secondary, Universities, and the like —each laden with associations of all kinds and the attendant loyalties and obligations and friendships, etc.)...

I wonder which school could contain the Buddha... ;)
    WomanOfPeace
  • Jason said:

taiyaki said:

Individual Vehicle or Hinayana: refuge vows, refraining from any harm, development of samadhi, decelopment of insight, aim is individual nirvana or the emptiness of self. Vows are a must and should never be broken.

Greater/Wider Vehicle or Mahayana: built on the basis of the Individual Vehicle. Starts with recognition of two fold emptiness (self and phenomena). Compassion is stressed along wih prajna wisdom (particulary the emptiness of phenomena). Aim is ceaseless compassionate activity for all sentient beings. Intention is much more stressed over following strict vows.

Diamond Vehicle or Vajrayana: Taking the fruit of enlightenment as the path. The teacher gives a glimpse of the natural state and the path is to build a relationship with that through various practices dependent on the capacity of the individual. This vehicle is also built ontop of the two other yanas as a basis. The only vow is to stay in the natural state.

As a side note, the term 'hinayana' is extremely derogatory and misused term when seemingly used in reference to Theravada. Usually I don't say anything about it because I don't really care all that much, but in this case I think it's worth noting for those new to Buddhism and those who might not understand just how derogatory this word actually is.

The Pali/Sankrit term hina basically means 'low' or 'inferior,' but those translations doesn't really do it justice. The entry for hina in the Pali Text Society's Pali-English dictionary give a fuller range of its meaning: inferior, low; poor, miserable; vile, base, abject, contemptible, despicable. Whatever the definition, it should be clear that the connotation is extremely negative; and while one translation for hinayana is 'lower vehicle,' an equally valid translation is 'garbage vehicle.'

Essentially, the term hinayana, as defined by Mahayana, denotes "self liberation without the thought of helping others achieve the same," which isn't a fair designation of Theravada, in my opinion. Moreover, Theravada also stresses the importance of intention rather than imply clinging to "rules and observances," and has teachings for those desiring to follow the bodhisattva path via perfecting the ten paramitas (e.g., see The Ten Perfections and Manual of the Excellent Man).

In some cases, I think this term can be applied to some within Theravada when used to differentiate between certain, limited motivations and practices without too much controversy, but I certainly wouldn't use it to define the entire tradition and I'd caution others about painting Theravada with such a broad, and arguably unkind, brush.
    Its interesting because I never found the word Hinayana to be negative at all. Thanks for the information as it helps for future designations. Anyone who knows and practices Buddhadharma should hold high regard for the individual vehicle because all the vehicles find their basis and root in the individual vehicle. But atlas you may be right that Mahayana practitioners look down on Hinayana as a whole. As I just recall an incident at a Zen center when I spoke about Hinayana and was chuckled at.

The categorization is a Tibetan thing, so I suppose we can view it from that context.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    My understanding is that Therevada vehicle focuses on ethics, concentration and other main foundations of Buddhist teachings. Mahayana builds off of that and shifts the focus from the self-liberation of nirvana to compassion and motivating your practice to help others. Its not that you don't work on yourself anymore (kind of like the difference in intent between going to medical school because you want to be a doctor vs wanting to help other people get well). Vajrayana is really just an esoteric version of Mahayana in that the motivation remains the same but the methods of practice change and become more symbolic and mystical.
    WomanOfPeace
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2013
    person said:

My understanding is that Therevada vehicle focuses on ethics, concentration and other main foundations of Buddhist teachings. Mahayana builds off of that and shifts the focus from the self-liberation of nirvana to compassion and motivating your practice to help others.

That's the common perception; but the more I practice, the less I see a distinction between working towards self-liberation and helping others. I certainly work on doing both in my own, limited capacity, and most Theravadins I know do the same. In fact, it seems like all most of my teachers do is help others, whether through teaching meditation, writing about Dhamma, or just encouraging others in their practice. (One of my teachers is even a Thai monk who, seeing no conflict between Theravada and Mahayana, also ordained in the Taiwanese Mahayana tradition.)

I'd certainly agree that Mahayana stresses the bodhisattva path, which is commendable and one of the things I admire about it; but I'm not sure why Theravada is seen as not focusing on things like compassion or helping others. As with the motivation to go to medical school to become a doctor and help others, they're not mutually exclusive. The teachings in the Pali Canon or those of many contemporary Theravadin teachers may be more subtle in this regard, but it's definitely not absent or ignored. Personally, I think Theravada is a lot less 'self-oriented' than people realize.
    BhikkhuJayasaraWomanOfPeace
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Checking out the different definitions between the schools is a natural place to start when examining Buddhism.
    There are definitions that focus on what each of the major schools emphasize, just as there are other definitions on what each of the major schools lack.

Such info is very easy to find but from my experience, a sincere practise is simply too wide to be contained by such definitions.
    Invincible_summerchela
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Fundamental Buddhism is the eightfold path and four noble truths.

Mahayana is dependent origination (DO) shunyata.

Vajrayana is the developement of the mind. As DO view is understood it becomes apparent that dukkha is sensitivity, anger is clarity see through obstacles as empty, and ignorance (avidya/avoidance) is openness. Thus in vajrayana the student does not try to uproot mindstates and replace them. Rather, the student works with whatever mindstates are arisen and tries to notice the sensitivity in their daily awareness (as an example). In some Vajrayana schools meditation on sorta deities helps to uncover the wisdom qualities of the three: dukkha, anger, and ignorance.

A comparision of fundamental Buddhism and vajrayana from the Tibetan Buddhist perspective is that fundamental Buddhism tames the mind whereas vajrayana trains the mind. This can be seen in an arhant being free from dukkha etc (the three) whereas vajrayana trains those qualities into enlightened aspects.

These are the three vehicles from Tibetan Buddhism (TB) perspective. Fundamental Buddhism as they see it doesn't correspond to Theravada. And TB teaches all three. For instances my sangha with a lama is a mahayana sangha.

Vajrayana is distinguished from mahayana in that after shunyata is realized there should be a heart of endless non-graspable Buddha qualities.
  • All of that previous post is Tibetan Buddhism's three vehicles. I didn't say anything about Theravada, Zen, or other ways of Buddhism. The above post is all about TB.
  • Very helpful, thank you to all those who've given me insight on this matter. I virtually knew nothing about Buddhism when I first started, as I was from a Christian background. I knew so little that like many, I even thought it was just worshipping a God also,little did I know it was exactly the opposite. I hope to continue learning and growing with what I know, it's somewhat difficult though when I have in fact come across some extremist Christians that were less than welcoming when they found I'd left Christianity. Nevertheless, it doesn't discourage me.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2013
    @Jason
    As a side note, the term 'hinayana' is extremely derogatory and misused term when seemingly used in reference to Theravada. Usually I don't say anything about it because I don't really care all that much, but in this case I think it's worth noting for those new to Buddhism and those who might not understand just how derogatory this word actually is.

The Pali/Sankrit term hina basically means 'low' or 'inferior,' but those translations doesn't really do it justice. The entry for hina in the Pali Text Society's Pali-English dictionary give a fuller range of its meaning: inferior, low; poor, miserable; vile, base, abject, contemptible, despicable. Whatever the definition, it should be clear that the connotation is extremely negative; and while one translation for hinayana is 'lower vehicle,' an equally valid translation is 'garbage vehicle.'

Essentially, the term hinayana, as defined by Mahayana, denotes "self liberation without the thought of helping others achieve the same," which isn't a fair designation of Theravada, in my opinion. Moreover, Theravada also stresses the importance of intention rather than imply clinging to "rules and observances," and has teachings for those desiring to follow the bodhisattva path via perfecting the ten paramitas (e.g., see The Ten Perfections and Manual of the Excellent Man).

In some cases, I think this term can be applied to some within Theravada when used to differentiate between certain, limited motivations and practices without too much controversy, but I certainly wouldn't use it to define the entire tradition and I'd caution others about painting Theravada with such a broad, and arguably unkind, brush.
    But TB teaches all three vehicles. So garbage vehicle must be pretty useful in fact ;) As an example, this time zen, Shyunru Suzuki said his sangha was a hinayana practice with a vast mahayana mind.
  • @ Sabre

That was a beautiful example (: thank you for that.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited February 2013
    You're welcome! I'm glad you liked it.

What I think it comes down to is: People may disagree on which school is more 'original Dhamma', but sometimes forget all those things (suttas, chants, traditions, etc) are about Dhamma. They are not Dhamma themselves. Dhamma has to be in our hearts, not in books or traditions. At least, that's how I see it. As I heard one monk say: In a restaurant, you don't eat the menu.

So while very interesting to see various approaches to Buddhism, real Buddhism -the Dhama- is something we can find regardless of a tradition. That's because it's hidden within ourselves, not outside of us. The Buddha also had no tradition to base upon and still found it.

I'm not saying getting a bit of information on traditions is not useful. So by all means, investigate it a bit, ask questions and look around - it can be helpful in finding where you would fit best. But I wouldn't let it become the main thing; don't let it distract you from the main message. It's often one of the first questions people ask when they are new to Buddhism - and understandably so. But it needn't be. I actively practice in both Theravada and Mahayana traditions and think they both have things that are great and go together just fine. Basically the same thing.

But in a way you could also say there are just as many traditions as there are practitioners.. just depends on how you look at things.

(Also, I found the line between the three main traditions is very vague anyway. It's a bit like pop, rock and funk music. Some bands just fit in multiple genres or none at all. You can try to define the line, but meh.. just enjoy the music.)

Metta with capital M!
    Sabre
    Invincible_summer
  • caz said:

This is a common form of Ignorance Vajrayana comes from Buddha Vajradhara whom is actually Buddha's enjoyment body.

Mantrayana and Tantrayana both has its roots in Hinduism, albeit the forms practiced to day have diverted from the originals.
    The Mantra "OM" precedes Vajrayana by about at least 2 thousand years in Hinduism.

Fire and smoke Pujas are still common to Hinduism today, and were directly transplanted albeit nowadays using Buddhist instead of Hindu prayers and the offerings.

Vajrayana has a rather strict system of lineage and vow keeping and to mix with Non Buddhist teachings is a great downfall.

The local Tibetan BON shamanistic practices have been absorbed into TB.

Go ask your Lama(s). Talk about ignorance.
    Patr said:

caz said:

This is a common form of Ignorance Vajrayana comes from Buddha Vajradhara whom is actually Buddha's enjoyment body.

Mantrayana and Tantrayana both has its roots in Hinduism, albeit the forms practiced to day have diverted from the originals.
    The Mantra "OM" precedes Vajrayana by about at least 2 thousand years in Hinduism.

Fire and smoke Pujas are still common to Hinduism today, and were directly transplanted albeit nowadays using Buddhist instead of Hindu prayers and the offerings.

Vajrayana has a rather strict system of lineage and vow keeping and to mix with Non Buddhist teachings is a great downfall.

Patr said:

caz said:

Mantrayana and Tantrayana are actually fairly distinct from Hindu Tantra it is more likely that Hindu Tantra is a corruption of the previous two to revitalise its membership during the time of the Mahasiddhis and so on don't forget Tantra was being practised at Nalanda and Vikramshila for a long time as well as general Mahayana to think that the venerable beings be breaking their vows by mixing with Adharma is fairly funny.

There are many ritual practices that are common to both traditions however making the observation that because they share similar rituals they must both have similar origins would be incorrect, Much like comparing Buddhist meditation with Hindu meditation superficially they resemble each other Internally they are very different.

Again with Bon if you cannot distinguish between resemblances then this is very sad, Bon in all Buddhist texts has been recorded as the work of village magicians and practices of Black magic this is very different from the Bon of today which more or less resembles a Buddhist tradition ( Similar but different to the Nyingma ) though there are still those who are known to practice the ancient Bon around there was a documentary about a Bon Pilgrim to mount Kalish who encountered practitioners who called their selves Bon but where extremely different to the him ( Practising the old Bon as recorded in Buddhist texts ) so its fairly easy to see where the actual resemblances come from.
    Patr said:

caz said:

Patr said:

caz said:

Vajrayana is the most recent, but present day Tibetan Buddhism has many elements of Hi

• Buddha's sangha no doubt had tantric practioners within it. Just as modern believers are not homogenous so too back then. Thus I posit that Buddha gave guidance to the tantrikas such as they could benefit from. It's an assumption to say that the original sangha was a homogenous one.
  • I would try to actually visit different groups and talk to some folks there. Nothing like personal contact to learn what's best for me...
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited February 2013

@WomanofPeace

I suggest The School of Individual Observance and Understanding...

In other words, learn the basics of Buddhist practice* (Precepts, 8-fold path, 4NTs) and apply as needed to your intellectual and emotional well being.
    Once there is personal commitment to these guidelines and teachings, delve into the actual Suttas/Sutras, and top off with a regular meditation practice - if needed.

From there decide if you need more, or are satisfied with the improvements to your life and your relationship with others and the world around you.

If you need more, then look into each Tradition and see if one in particular calls to your way of understanding (what you already understand on your own).

* http://buddhism.about.com/od/basicbuddhistteachings/u/basics.htm

The reason I suggest a foundation of PERSONAL understanding first, is because it can be overwhelming and completely confusing to try and decide on a tradition or 'school' of Buddhism when one is just getting the basics down.... Because honestly, the basics are the same no matter which tradition one chooses.

Peace and Success on your Journey!

:clap:
    Jeffrey
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    ^ IMO, developing a meditation practice should be done before intensive sutra/sutta study, otherwise it all becomes more of an intellectual exercise rather than a lived experience. But of course, whatever works best for you.
    caz
  • Get a taste of enlightenment and don't 'settle' until you have gone beyond. Beyond is beyond distress over: pain v pleasure, gain v loss, blame v praise, and fame vs infamy (belonging or not).

If you are beyond the worldly winds you are beyond fear. So I recommend not to 'settle'.