Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

starting again

shanyinshanyin Novice YoginSault Ontario Veteran
I am going to try to meditate again everyday. I think it might help me feel less clouded and groggy. That is a problem I've been having for years and can think of a few reason. I honestly think I need i to bring some stillness and clarity and have my mind function properly. I was inspired by the thread about the archbishop. Maybe someone can link me to breathe counting technique online. Wish me luck
Invincible_summerGlowTheswingisyellowBunksThailandTomriverflowTheEccentricBrian

Comments

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited March 2013
    This is just "mindfulness" meditation stuff for stress reduction and whatnot, but it's pretty much the same type of instruction as Thich Nhat Hanh gives in his books. I think the body scanning stuff is Goenka-inspired too. I think it'd be helpful to just get into the swing of things again.

http://keltymentalhealth.ca/healthy-living/mindfulness

Good luck! :cool:
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    The most common breath counting techniques are
    Counting each breath and mentally noting it with a number. 1up to 10 and restarting.
    or
    Giving each inhalation and exhalation it's own number 1 - 10 and restarting with 1again.
    Pick a posture that minimizes physical distractions and drowsiness.
    Choose a time to do it when your not also within 45 minute of digesting a meal.
    Learn to develop the habit of immediately restarting again as soon as you become aware that you've lost track of where you were.

And I wish you success since you already sound lucky.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    Should I be 'focusing' on the sensations of breathing while counting? I think some people do that.

I think I am lucky. I fell in love with meditation when I was a teenager and it made me feel great very fast.
    Sorry about the poor grammar.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @Shanyin

You can focus on the entire breathing process as it occurs, a specific sense gate aspect such as the air passing by the tip of the nose, or the rise and fall of the diaphragm. Just try each one to see which one makes sense and then stick with it..

There is no real should with something as basic as counting your breaths.

On one end of the spectrum it's a concentration exercise that develops focus and concentration which is what I thought you were looking for.
    On the other end of the spectrum it can be a meditation where all phenomena can arise, live and fade away with equanimity.
    The concentration development is a reasonable exercise to explore for what you were looking for but since it is conditional to a focus on the breath, many folks have found that practise a hindrance when later trying to move on to more formless types of meditation.

• chelachela Veteran
    Welcome back. I haven't been meditating very long (a couple of months), but I have realized that I did some type of informal meditation when I was younger and didn't have the habitual anxiety of always trying to be busy and feeling that I'm racing against something that I have developed in my thirties.

I just wanted to say that I have problems finding time to incorporate meditation on a daily basis. But I have been able to work in about 15 minutes in the morning, and that it has made a big difference. Sometimes I've able to do closer to 30, and I feel that it's more beneficial to do 30 (for me), but even 15 minutes allows me to feel a greater improvement in calm and clarity. I'm just saying this so that if you find it difficult to make time, even a little is better than nothing.
  • The aro course starts with breath counting and a recommended starting point of five minutes
    http://aromeditation.org/

I am in about week 6
    Excellent so far, breathing, counting, posture, journal writing, hand positions, tips on focus when groggy etc . . .
    They send an email each week
    The rest is up to you . . . :)
    It's interesting to get advice from people you wouldn't expect insight from. Someone I would never expect told me: Thing is you have to meditate EVERY day.

That advice hits the nail on the head. It's something I realized when I was a teenager and I don't know why the lesson didn't stick. I havn't had that degree of consistency for years.
    Oh and by the way I'm on day one of that meditation course. Keeping a journal as well.
    riverflowlobster
  • I started out with 5 minutes a day.
    Now its 2 x 15 minutes
    Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Just slowly build your duration.
    If your having a bad day, take a step back, but do not quit.
    Five minutes is better then nothing.

Dont expect and dont force.
    lobster