Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Please Recommend

edited January 2007 in Sanghas
Please recommend anything you enjoy (films, books, experiences, places) - be it Buddhism related or not.
:wavey:
or just say hi!

Comments

• edited June 2005
    I am reading Shunryu Suzuki's book: 'Not always so'

It is the best book I have ever read. EVER! (and I read a lot of books)

Pick it up if you can.

Love, as always,

Dave
  • edited June 2005
    Or I might add -

it is a book to be with, nothing more nothing less.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited June 2005
    I'm currently reading "Ulysses" by James Joyce.

I'm considering it a form of meditation, because I cannot comprehend what this book is trying to say. I am almost finished with it - it has taken me longer to read than any other book I have ever read. Instead I've given up trying to make sense of it, and just concentrate on the movement of my eyes as they follow the words. ;)
  • edited June 2005
    Hello everyone!

Well, I am reading "The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin" and "The Lotus Sutra." They are both very good. I have made a list of the books that have been mentioned here and I will give them a read as well. I wish to learn about other sects of Buddhism other than my own because I feel it will give me a more rounded knowledge of Buddhism.

Adiana :D:D
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2005
    BOOKS
    "Life of Pi" by Yann Martell

The weird story of a boy shipwrecked and surviving alone in the lifeboat with a bengal Tiger.... worth reading for his little philosophical insights alone.

"Memoirs of a Geisha" by Arthur Golden
    naturally convinced I was that Geisha.... ;)

The Tibetan Book of Living & Dying. Sogyal Rinpoche.
    need I say more....?

FILMS
    Babette's Feast.
    Manon des Sources & Jean de Fleurette.

Samsara
    The Last Samurai
    Blazing saddles (from the sublime to the cor blimey!!)
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Films:

Spring, summer, fall, winter....and spring
    by Kim Ki-Duk
    (Korean)

Enlightenment Guaranteed
    by Doris Dörrie
    (German)

Cemetery Man
    by Michele Soavi
    (Italian)

Pi
    by Darren Aronofsky
    (American)

Books:

All of the Saga of Recluse
    by L. E. Modesitt Jr.

All of the Dune series
    by Frank Herbert

Patipada
    by Phra Ajaan Maha Boowa

Angels and Demons/Da Vinci Code
    Dan Brown
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Elohim wrote:
    Angels and Demons/Da Vinci Code
    Dan Brown
    Isn't Dan Brown such a genius? :bowdown:
    Have you read any of his other books? I have Digital Fortress, but I haven't gotten Deception Point just yet. :o
    Believe it or not, right before I found this site, I saw the movie Little Buddha. It's pretty interesting--it takes the life of the Buddha and a little boy (who could be an incarnation) and puts them together to create a unique story. (Keanu Reeves plays Siddhartha. :confused: )
    I'm not very good at explaining things, but this movie's worth a shot. ;)
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Yes, I really enjoyed these two. I have not read any of his other ones though. I saw Little Buddha. It was a good movie, but I had such a hard time not laughing at Keanu Reeves. I always get reminded of Ted Theodore Logan from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Elohim wrote:
    Yes, I really enjoyed these two. I have not read any of his other ones though. I saw Little Buddha. It was a good movie, but I had such a hard time not laughing at Keanu Reeves. I always get reminded of Ted Theodore Logan from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.
    Ah, I can't wait for his next books ^_^ Whenever he decides to write them ^_^
    :lol: I totally understand that, though--Keanu's accent was almost painful...Oh, well. Whoever they could get for the job, I guess.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Catch - 22. By Joseph Heller. My favourite book ever. Also Closing Time, its sequel.
    Cloudstreet, Tim Winton - this is an australian book, but absolute poetry.
    The Spice Box of Earth - Leonard Cohen. Brilliant poet.
    One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich - Solzhenitsyn. Still not sure if I got this or not. If anyone has read it I would appreciate opinions...
  • edited June 2005
    Walking through the woods with your family (pets included).

Meeting a new family with parents who are so in love with their infant it makes you want to cry at the beauty of it all.

:bigclap: :bawling: :bigclap:
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2005
    I really enjoyed Little Buddha, particularly Sogyal Rinpoche as Kenpo Tensin! And the recitation of the Heart Sutra at the end is beautifully done.

In films, however, it is Kundun that takes the prize for me. It will, I believe, come to be seen as a near-perfect memorial to a Tibet which is being eradicated. It has everything a film should have (except romance! although it has friendship and loneliness which are so much more real). Philip Glass's music is superb. It was also the reason we went to Dharamshala!

As for books? I can't even dream of starting!

P.S. I really don't like Seven Years in Tibet.
  • edited June 2005
    P.S. I really don't like Seven Years in Tibet.

The book or the film?

I enjoyed the book, for what it was.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2005
    emmak wrote:
    Catch - 22. By Joseph Heller. My favourite book ever. Also Closing Time, its sequel.
    One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich - Solzhenitsyn. Still not sure if I got this or not. If anyone has read it I would appreciate opinions...

Have read "One day in the life....." What's not to get? :)
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    I know. I always though I knew what it was about, until someone who I deem to be intelligent passed a comment that made me doubt myself. Maybe I was ok...
    Kundun is a fantastic film. I saw it when it first was released, I think I was about 17, and loved it.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2005
    The book or the film?

I enjoyed the book, for what it was.

I read the book donkeys' years ago and remember enjoying it, then. The film is (IMHO) terrible! I looked at the book again and found it very Harrer-centric!
  • edited June 2005

I read the book donkeys' years ago and remember enjoying it, then. The film is (IMHO) terrible! I looked at the book again and found it very Harrer-centric!

He was a Mountain climber, after all!! Though I would say he does not deny his arrogance/egotism, as far as I could tell, in the book.
    edited June 2005
    emmak wrote:
    I know. I always though I knew what it was about, until someone who I deem to be intelligent passed a comment that made me doubt myself. Maybe I was ok...
    Kundun is a fantastic film. I saw it when it first was released, I think I was about 17, and loved it.

I can't comment until I know what the comment was so what was the comment? (teehee!)
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited June 2005
    emmak wrote:
    Ugh, we had to read that book in literature class. It's well written, but there are quite a few obscure references to Russian culture that NOBODY got. (Until our teacher told us.)
  • edited June 2005
    emmak wrote:

Yeah, I have read One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn. I also agree that it is a good book. I read it in high school and again in college.

Adiana :):lol:
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Simon:

I've seen Kundun and I never thought about it that way until you mentioned it, but you're right: That movie is a beautiful eulogy to Tibet.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    federica wrote:
    I can't comment until I know what the comment was so what was the comment? (teehee!)
    My aunt said "Oooh... Thats very highbrow of you!" When she saw it on my shelf. I never thought it was highbrow. I never even thought there was anything really 'to get'. But when Pat said that I questioned whether i understood it at all.
    So maybe I should just ignore her comment and go with what I thought in the first place hey?
    (Aunt Pat is very cultured and refined, a retired antique dealer and sometimes a little pretentious.)
    edited June 2005
    Isn't it funny how one little comment can absolutely throw us off kilter? (Long story coming up.... grab a cup of coffee and settle in your fave chair....!!)
    I'm separated by too many miles, from my precious and deeply loved B/F... He's on one side of the country working ('this country' being France) and I'm way over on the other. I'll see him again in September! Anyway, I write to him once or twice a week... long letters, three or four pages.... I put all my innermost thoughts in there and express myself very liberally (I am an incurable Sentimental Romantic!) and have to date sent him about 7 'novels' to read....! But the other day, with all these letters, and everything I'd written to him... he picked up on one tiny little phrase and it bugged him all day.....!
    Many moons ago, I used to study and practise Shiatsu. During my course, I attended a weekend workshop on 'intuitive Shiatsu' where we learned to literally let our SoulGuides or Inner Masters, guide us in our treatments of others. Very interesting.... Anyway, (again!) one aspect of this was to do a precis diagnosis of a person's temperament.... and one of the things which came up about me, was that 'I love Too Much'. Now bear in mind this was about 8 years ago, and I was still extremely wet behind the ears about Buddhism, and the things I have learned since then... so maybe at that time, because of my insecurities, and my needy nature to be loved, I DID tend to over-Love, in the hope of getting same back... it was a Conditional Love, if you like, but extreme.
    I mentioned this comment, out of context, to Nick in my letter, and he could only think of the fact that at that time I was with my ex- (of whom he does not have a high opinion!) and that I wasted all my Love on someone he regards as shallow, useless and parasitic!
    Nick, the poor babe, has some issues he's aware of, and together, consciously, we're working them out. He wants to emerge from the Prison and slavery of his own self-created illusions and conditioning.... these things take time.... but he's very jealous of the years he perceives as wasted with that man, when at various times in our lives, we were "running parallel" and were only about three miles away from each other.... really odd.... (Anyway 3!!)

What I'm saying in a very verbose way (now you see why my letters are so long!! :lol: )
    is that someone may say something to us, but it is WE who permit it to affect us in ways probably never intended! Eleanor Roosevelt said "No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent." By permitting the words of another person to affect us to the core, we effectively hand control of Who we are and What we believe to another person. Nick sees this, and knows it's silly and irritating.
    The book isn't highbrow. Alexander Soljenitchyszin (Oh, look, I don't know how it's spelt!!) never intended it to be highbrow... he was just writing a book on a gulag prisoner, and how tough it is to survive, and what extreme measures are needed. Your aunt may be a bit pretentious and superior, and her comment was tactless and off the cuff.... not thought out at all. However, the fact you still harbour an 'insecurity' regarding what she said about you, is something you'll have to work through. It's not her fault it still rubs on you.... do you see?

Look, I've finished! Go wash your coffee cup up and tidy away! :lol:
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    You, know, I think I knew that all along, but just needed someone to tell me so. I first read the book in school, and loved it, and never thought there was anything tricky to it. When she made that comment I wanted to ask her why it was highbrow but I guess was scared she would think I was silly.
    Maybe it is so low brow, it is highbrow....
    Thanks Fed, you have restored my faith in my book intelligence.
  • edited January 2007
    Please recommend anything you enjoy (films, books, experiences, places) - be it Buddhism related or not.
    :wavey:
    or just say hi!
    I really enjoyed reading the book,"Conversations With The Archangel". It was about a Haddisic Jew who converted to Zen Buddhism--as well as his ever-changing perspectives along that spiritual journey.....I've looked for that book recently (would love to reread it again) but have forgotten the name of the author. :thumbsup: