Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Yoga positions which don't require balance

Hello friends!

Several times in the last year I've tried to get into yoga as I really think I could benefit from it. My problem lies in the fact that I was born with spina bifida. It's luckily very mild compared to some cases, but it does affect my balance. I've read up on various yoga positions and their benefits but when it comes to putting a programme together for my morning ritual it seems that a lot of them rely on standing upright and balancing which unfortunately is beyond my physical capabilities.

I'm sure it's possible to do something but I was hoping there may be somebody on here who had a little more experience and could point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited April 2013
    I don't know if any of these positions would be affected by your spina bifida (I apologize for my ignorance), but they're all on the ground and are great for meditation flexibility!

http://zenmontpellier.voila.net/eng/lotus/lotuseng.html

Also, can you do basic sun salutations? The balancing required is very minimal, and I find it's a great "waking up" yoga practice.

http://zenmontpellier.voila.net/eng/lotus/suryanameng.html
    Jimyo
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    This yoga flow sequence is also largely on the ground and lasts about 40 minutes.

Jimyo
  • JimyoJimyo Explorer
    Thanks very much for your help. Much appreciated!
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    I can't do a lotus posture, so I sit "seiza", which is sitting on my knees, with a cushion under my butt. It's a very stable position.