Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Are there any schools of Zen that do *NOT* focus on a/practice bodhisattva ideas?

Being that I am more of a theravada buddhist, Im honestly not interested in being a bodhisattva. I wont get into all the why's and all that, but Ive always been interested in japanese zen. In fact zen was the first thing I knew about buddhism.
So as the title asks......

Is there a school of zen that does not have anything to do with becoming a bodhisattva (ie making vows to save all beings before reaching enlightenment?)

There seems to be so many schools of zen with different ideas especially in japan and so far my research has not found what im asking.

Thank you
Namaste

Comments

• What aspects of Zen are you interested in?

Any school of Zen which neglects the bodhisattva ideal would be pretty interesting, as it is central to Mahayana Buddhism, which Zen arose from.
  • Echoing what @fivebells says above, I'm not aware of any Chan/Zen school that doesn't recite the Bodhisattva Vows, being part of Mahayana tradition. That would seem oxymoronic I think.

Gil Fronsdal practises in both Soto Zen and Theravada. Maybe checking him out might be fruitful in what you are looking for?
  • You know @kashi - it just occurred to me that you might be interested in this book which might be of use to you... maybe?

Living the Japanese Arts and Ways: 45 Paths to Meditation and Beauty by H.E. Davey

It may give you a Japanese-tinged approach to things but without making full-blown appeals to the Mahayana ideal? (I once owned this book years ago and found it helpful)
  • Nice...Im always on the lookout for dharma books and the like
  • jlljll Veteran

If i am not mistaken, zen does not talk about
    boddhisatas.

zen is all about using your mind to realise the truth
    directly, hence the use of koans, etc.

they are more interested in the practical than the
    theory.
    kashi said:

Being that I am more of a theravada buddhist, Im honestly not interested in being a bodhisattva. I wont get into all the why's and all that, but Ive always been interested in japanese zen. In fact zen was the first thing I knew about buddhism.
    So as the title asks......

Is there a school of zen that does not have anything to do with becoming a bodhisattva (ie making vows to save all beings before reaching enlightenment?)

There seems to be so many schools of zen with different ideas especially in japan and so far my research has not found what im asking.

Thank you
    Namaste

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    kashi said:

Is there a school of zen that does not have anything to do with becoming a bodhisattva

All zen schools involve the Bodhisattva vow. However, that does not mean that if you don't make the vow then zen style practice can not be beneficial. Zen style practice can still be very beneficial even without the vow.

Invincible_summerJeffrey
  • edited May 2013
    Theres something about Zen that just naturally "speaks" to me. Ive always had a major interest in japanese culture and like I said, zen was the first thing I knew about buddhism. As far as buddhism goes, i prefer to study the nikkaya suttas because they are agreed to be the earliest teachings. everything else about Zen with the exception of the bodhisattva ideal is fascinating to me and makes sense. Like the Buddha simply holding up a flower without saying a word...
    other than that I use mala beads, prayer wheels etc.
    So you might say im Non-denominational, but have a firm grounding in therevada suttas.
    I do however love the heart suttra and recite it in japanese as part of my devotional practice.
    riverflow
  • someone got my attention on another thread about bodhisattva ideals....after this thread was already made...so i have a new question.

for those of you who practice zen, what is a bodhisattva according to your tradition? can you please also give me some names of famous bodhisattva within your tradition?
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    @kashi - I don't know.. when I practiced Chan & Zen with actual groups and teachers, "famous" bodhisattvas weren't really emphasized or anything. We'd mainly just recite the vows. I guess the names that did come up more often than not would be Avalokitesvara (Guan Yin) and Ksitigarbha (Di Zang).

As for what a bodhisattva is - there are a few different types, but the type that was emphasized at the Chan temple I attended was the "shepherd Bodhisattva," or one who delays full-on Buddhahood to help others attain enlightenment.

When I started sitting with a Rinzai-style group, we almost never talked about bodhisattvas in this way. More in a metaphorical, "act selflessly" sort of way.
  • @kashi - just to address one aspect for the moment--from the other thread--you brought up this point:
    kashi said:

i don't see the point in making a vow to not reach enlightenment until all beings are "saved"
    That simply will never happen.

From the Mahayana perspective (and illustrated best in the Lotus Sutra), all Buddhist doctrines should not be understood as metaphysical "information" but rather as a skillful method in order to REAL-ise awakening. "Truth" lies in awakening--it is not (and cannot be) encapsulated in any doctrine, including Buddhist ones. Rather those doctrines point in the direction of awakening. They are upaya, "skillful means" designed to help actualise awakening, methods for awakening, not information about awakening. To do otherwise is to confuse an reality with an idea. Reality is not an idea nor a word. As long as we remain stuck on the idea, clinging to it, reality can't be seen at all. I always try to bear this in mind in my studies.

In Zen Keys (a book I'd highly recommend on Zen) Thich Nhat Hanh writes:
    The notions of impermanence, not-self, interbeing, and emptiness are means aimed at revealing the errors of knowledge rather than giving a description of the objects of knowledge. These notions must be considered as methods and not as information.
    The precepts function like this, for example. They are not commandments to be followed but rather tools to aid one in learning to awaken. Aside from the obvious ethical dimensions, the precepts are meant to raise the awareness of the practitioner of those ways that we harm others. But the precepts cannot be kept perfectly. Just the precept for not killing by itself is an obvious example. I have an itch and so I scratch my arm and I have just killed thousands of cells. How many insects do I kill when I drive in my truck to go to the monastery? We kill every day. The point isn't to feel guilty however. The precepts function like a lens to bring into clarity how our actions affect others in karmic relation.

In the same way, the Bodhisattva ideal is not an ideal to be met perfectly. It is, like the precepts, a lens to bring into clarity the relationship of my awakening with others. Specifically the Bodhisattva ideal is a tool to cultivate bodhicitta -- the Bodhisattva has a motivating power because it helps one to be compassionate, and to see that the wisdom of awakening is not separate from compassion. One lives AS IF all beings will be saved and your participation is necessary-- this is a motivating force, not an exercise in futility. In that sense, the attainment of such a goal both is and is not important. And that compassion may have the overall effect of spreading beneficial karma among others which may help--in the long run, far beyond our limited lifespans--to help others on the path of awakening (even if they don't know it!). All of this is deeply rooted in the Mahayana interpretation of sunyata ("emptiness") and the inseparability of all beings (hence the meaning of his/her appearance in the Heart Sutra).

I'm not overly familiar with most Bodhisattvas except for Avalokiteshvara (aka Avalokita / Quan Yin / Quan Am / Kannon etc) - who is the Bodhisattva of compassion -- she'smy personal favourite and is probably the most popular. I love the depiction of her with the thousand arms of compassion reaching out to save all sentient beings. It is a mythopoetic image which I find inspiring in my practice (I have her on my altar along with Shakyamuni).

John Daido Loori puts it this way:
    Avalokiteshvara Bodhisattva is the Hearer of the Cries of the World. And one of the characteristics of Avalokiteshvara is that she manifests herself in accord with the circumstances. So she always presents herself in a form that’s appropriate to what’s going on. In the bowery, she manifests as a bum. Tonight, in barrooms across the country, she’ll manifest as a drunk. Or as a motorist on the highway, or as a fireman, or a physician. Always responding in accord with the circumstances, in a form appropriate to the circumstances. How is that?

Every time there’s a stranded vehicle on the side of the road and a motorist stops to help Avalokiteshvara Bodhisattva has manifested herself. Those characteristics of wisdom and compassion are the characteristics of all beings. All Buddhas. We all have that potential. It’s just a matter of awakening it. You awaken it by realizing there’s no separation between self and other.
    person
  • To add, in reference to my example of the precepts being a tool to raise one's awareness: Today at the monastery we recited the five mindfulness trainings and at the end of each the question is NOT asked, "Have you done this in the past month?" but rather, "Have we made an effort to study it in our lives?"
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    @kashi -- Accumulating an intellectual understanding of Zen or Buddhism may have its uses but if those uses are simply to gain intellectual understanding, then I think it would be more useful to take up knitting or skip rope.

Unless I am mistaken, a bodhisattva is an enlightened being. Intellectually, this may sound kool or praise-worthy. And heaven knows there are a lot of tales woven about a lot of different bodhisattvas. It's pretty woo-hoo.

The tales that are told are like any spiritually-oriented tales ... they are advertising to those who find themselves inclined towards so-called spiritual life. There's compassion and clarity and a host of other characteristics that can be pinned on bodhisattvas and, by extension, the people who may ingest the tales told about them. Students may learn something about their own characteristics by emulating or targeting the wonders attributed to one bodhisattva or another.

If anyone takes up Zen practice -- if they take the literal time to sit down, straighten the spine, shut up, and focus the mind -- then, over time, the characteristics attributed to bodhisattvas will automatically grow up and flower. No need to cross-your-heart-and-hope-to-die about some formatted aspect, although such aspects can be helpful.

For nine years, back at the beginning, I practiced Zen Buddhism pretty enthusiastically. It didn't bother me especially when we chanted the Bodhisattva's Vow or references were made to bodhisattva attributes. I had other sticking points ... but I kept on practicing. And during those same nine years, I almost never heard a reference to the precepts (don't lie, cheat, steal, kill etc.) What I found was that, without ever a mention, those precepts grew up all by themselves ... not because they were good or noble or pure, but because they were what WORKED. They proved themselves empirically sound. No need to praise them or lay them off on someone else ... they worked, so ... use them. Practice teaches such things. Intellectual accumulations are ... well, they're 'nice' at best and phony at worst.

@kashi -- I have a hunch what you find attractive about Zen is the cut-to-the-chase nature of, as in an example you cited, the Buddha's holding up a single flower. Everything becomes clear in that single gesture ... but the question that remains unanswered is, "what is it that becomes clear?"

That moment on Vulture Peak, whether real or metaphorical, can be a compelling story. And one way to describe that story is to suggest it was like the bodhisattva Manjushri swinging his sword and cutting off all delusions. But does anyone really need Manjushri in order to know that realizing and actualizing something that cuts to the core or reveals true nature or Buddha nature ... well, you don't need a bodhisattva to feel such a yearning. And that's the point: Bodhisattvas are secondary ... your yearning is what counts. What good would Buddhism be if the best anyone could muster was to sit around warbling about something called "bodhisattvas?"

So called bodhisattvas make suggestions. It is your business whether to follow them or not. It's not your job to believe in bodhisattvas, it's just your job (with or without the name "bodhisattva") to be one. That's right ... an enlightened being! And why would anyone do that?

Well, for one thing, they're already stuck with the farm ... might as well learn to live peaceably on it.

Sorry to run on.
    riverflowkarastiInvincible_summer
  • Well theres certainly a lot here to ponder over.
    heres where I stand and why im posting these questions...

I have a love and high respect for japanese culture and japanese "mind"

zen was the first thing I knew about buddhism

over the years as I learned more about where buddhism really started I began to follow the therevada tradition. why? Im a firm believer that if you want to know the truth to something, you go to the source or as close as possible.

history shows therevada is the original source

but my fascination with japanese culture has remained, and as being a student of swordsmanship, zen has its roots in that as well...and it makes sense to me.

i find the beauty in simplicity. tea, flower arrangement, caligraphy, the simple straight forward movements in swordsmanship...all japanese "mind" for lack of better words.

Now...what im trying to "do" is find my "place" with buddhism.
    I feel i cant follow just therevada even though it is where buddhism started and there would not be any buddhism without it. At the same time my love for zen seems to be pulling me towards that direction.
    I do not want to stray far from the pali cannon and I want to follow what the buddha actually taught and at the same time merge this with zen.

How can I approach therevada tradition from a zen standpoint is what im trying to "do"
    A therevada "samurai", in short, is my goal.
    as utter nonsense as that may sound to some.

but if there are ideas such as chanting the buddhas name and thinking "that will get you into buddhas pure land" when the buddha never said such things in the pali cannon..im simply not interested.

Not sure how else to explain...its like I have one foot on a rock thats called therevada and the other foot in the sand of a zen garden

does this make any sense to anyone?
    riverflowInvincible_summerCinorjerkarmablues
  • I also like how simplistic speech is in zen...something I have a very hard time doing when explaining something :\
  • riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited May 2013
    @kashi - The later Mahayana sutras are extensions (for better or for worse!) of the Pali canon. It isn't really a matter of either/or. Thich Nhat Hanh, for example, refers to the Pali suttas about as much as the Mahayana sutras. The four noble truths and eightfold path are just as important in Mahayana as they are in Therevada.

Take two composers Mozart and a modern composer like Stravinsky. They both sound radically different, but both are filmly rooted in classical tradition. The same with the jazz tradition-- Louis Armstrong to John Coltrane. And in rock, Elvis to Soundgarden. Bill Haley and the Comets didn't have synthesisers-- so is Depeche Mode not rock music?

I wouldn't fret to much about the rituals in any tradition-- they are all exercises designed to facilitate awakening, even if they might initially seem strange or even counter-intuitive.

Worst-case scenario, you could test it out (ala the Kalamas) and see how it works for you. Believe me, I started as a "zazen-only-please" guy, not wanting to have anything to do with anything else. Now I'm doing prostrations--and it is a beautiful thing.

The main thing is finding what works best for you. I wouldn't fret over any kind of historical accuracy because even the first Pali suttas were not transcribed DURING the Shakyamuni's lifetime.
    kashiInvincible_summerkarmablues
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Maybe try studying some of the foundations of Mahayana. The father, so to speak, of much of its philosophical outlook starts with Nagarjuna. His works are often rather thick and can be hard to understand and penetrate but he relies primarily on logic and reason to justify his stances as opposed to scriptural strength.

I don't have much experience with it but I'd imagine looking into the founders of Zen would help shed some light as well.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    It's far too easy to take an 'all or nothing' approach. Why not practice Zen Buddhism while studying the Pali Canon? I doubt anyone would have problems with that. In fact, I've met and read many Zen Buddhist monastics who don't even like to identify as such - zazen is the practice and "everything else is window dressing."

I was very drawn to Chan/Zen due to its aesthetics and philosophy, as well as the fact that I'm Chinese and felt it would be appropriate to be involved in Chan buddhism. I've since learned that my attachment to the Zen aesthetic and I daresay "identity" wasn't beneficial for my spiritual practice... I think I practiced zazen because I thought it was cool, but didn't realize that it wasn't really doing anything for me until I tried other styles.

That being said, I still respect the traditions very much, and obviously it works for many people. And I'm not saying that you (@kashi) or others are only drawn to Zen because of the aesthetics. I'm just saying that it's something to be aware of - are we really practicing the tradition or are we roleplaying? I think meditation will help sort these sort of things out.

riverflowkarmablues
  • Wisdom23Wisdom23 Veteran
    Look at Rinzai.
    history shows therevada is the original source
    @kashi -- Does history make you happy? If so, then go ahead and knock yourself out.

Of course, it's nice to know something about the circumstances in which anyone places him- or herself, but the 'authenticity' of anything is seldom what provides the kind of peace of mind anyone might honestly seek.

Therevada, Mahayana, bodhisattvas, hungry ghosts, soaring temples, endless texts and fragrant incense ... what authenticity does any of it have ... what originality ... what life and laughter without KASHI?

Find a practice. Practice it. See what happens.
    riverflowkashiInvincible_summer
  • Yes...

I cant express my gratitude enough for all your advice and straight forward no bs. That goes to all who have responded. Ive been extremely overwhelmed with this, because the "I" wants to declare "I am this and that!"

I do love history, and culture, but I know that means nothing without "me" to enjoy it.

Im slowly finding my way

*Bow*
    karmablues
  • Also, im asking these questions so I can learn more and have an better understanding of other traditions so im not stuck thinking "this is the only way...all other ways are wrong"
    lesson in humbleness
    riverflow
    @kashi -- You are the only way ... get used to it. :)
    Vastmindkashi