Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Truly respecting others

Buddhism in most cases really "cuts it" for me, but I'm really having issues with seeing others truly having the true "worth" as me. I understand that of course we are all worth the same, but I very often feel alot of disdain towards people (especially those who can't respect others). People like religious/ political extremists. I don't want to get into any left/right discussions, I don't care about people being more inclinded this way or that. However, people who support parties (no names, but any Swede here might get the clue) that truly work against co-operation promote rascism, fascism, etc. Hasen't the world been through enough bloodshed, violence and horror not to realise how wrong such notions are? I truly feel like giving them a solid knee-strike to the gut in sheer frustration, even though I know that won't solve a thing. How am I supposed to equalize myself with these people is what I want to know. How do you people here do it, cause I'm assuming it isn't just a local issue.
Thanks beforehand

Comments

• SabreSabre Veteran
    Hiya! Haven't seen you before, nice to see you.

Some people are just a bit dumb. They can't really help it.
    It's like blaming a rock of being hard. It's the nature of the rock to be like that.
    Invincible_summerBarraRabmudtzmithril
  • One thing I do that is somewhat the opposite of "all things are inter connected" ie no self, all beings are one is actually separate myself from others when someone does something to irritate me.
    As example, someone is driving like an ass...reckless...cuts me off...

I simply tell myself "In reality, I don't know why they are speeding, etc...is it possible they have an emergency? yes its possible. let it go."

No person on earth can make you suffer mentally but your own thoughts.

As far as people who do much more evil... one thing we share with them is the 3 poisons of mind
    greed
    hate ( sometimes aversion )
    dellusion.

We might not kill, or steal, or start wars, but until we reach enlightenment we still have these 3 things. This is why people do what they do...some people have a shit load more of it than others.

I have a wish for world peace, but being buddhist also means being a realist. Help those that you can including yourself and let the rest go.
    Lucy_Begoodstavros388mithril
  • I have canvassed for these kinds of people, and currently I live amongst them (SW Ohio) Frankly, your fantasies for them are too gentle. Mine involve genocide.

The trick is to get skilled at metta, and learn that you can direct that feeling at anything, even things which totally squick you.

As the world gets more crowded, disordered and hungry, hateful thinking will only proliferate. So practice now while it's relatively easy.
    Sabre
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    “Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”
    Yoda

People need unravelling. We all do. We all have shells, some more than others. Impedimets and hindrances have accumulated around a set of circumstances and a persons being. You are fortunate if you have arrived at or worked towards an open and loving nature. We Buddhists have remnants of lower realms and are practicing towards the four higher realms . . .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_spiritual_realms

Metta Bhavna
    http://www.metta.org.uk/wds/wds1.htm

:wave:
    John_SpencerRabmudtz
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    try to develop metta(loving-kindness) and karuna(compassion) towards people, whose actions are not skillful. if they ask you for advice, then let them know skillful ways. but if they do not ask you for advice on how they should act, then try to develop equanimity towards them, as it is not in your control to change them. as far as your suffering from their unskillful actions is concerned, apart from bearing physical suffering, whether mentally you suffer or not is totally decided by only you. these things are easy to say and difficult to do, i know, i myself is not able to do these things in practical reality, but i would advice you to try to do these things. metta to you and all sentient beings.
    Rabmudtz
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    In my understanding we are vulnerable because life is not ultimately satisfactory, because of the first noble truth.

Recently I watched “Der Untergang” on TV. Some Nazis being absurdly loyal to the end (in this case the end meaning death) kept me thinking. What was wrong with these people?
    Well, maybe nothing, maybe they just lived in uncertain and chaotic times; they needed some radical solution to their problems; in a powerful group process they fell in love with a charismatic leader and his vision of a new bright future and they couldn’t let it go.
    They/we will do almost anything to end our suffering and we can lose touch with reality (like being in love) when we think we see a messiah and found the way to our personal and our collective salvation.
    It’s not religion, not politics, not nationalism; it is suffering, the end of suffering and the person who shows and personifies the radical way to end this suffering.
    Hey… that sounds familiar.

Buddhism is different though and it’s a crucial difference (imho). There is no Promised Land. Samsara is Nirvana. “The other shore" is under our feet. If you want to cross the ocean of suffering you must take the ship with no bottom.
    The Buddhist path leads to where we are. The change is on our minds and in our hearts; we stop craving we start letting go. We realize the emptiness of the whole thing, we wake up and we are free.
    But all of this is not the Promised Land; when life hurts it still hurts.

My point maybe is that we are a lot like religious or political fanatics; we are carved from the same wood, we are struggling with the same fundamental problem, but hopefully our understanding goes a bit deeper.
    lobsterriverflowRabmudtz
  • karmablueskarmablues Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Silouan said:

Some Buddhist traditions even have confession as part of their practice where one’s negative or unskillful actions are confessed to the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas with resolve to refrain from doing them in the future where positive or skillful actions are dedicated to benefit all.

Sadly though this practice has lost its importance despite the tremendous benefit it can provide. The weight of karmic transgressions or their purification is very much linked to one's remorse for doing them and it is through the practice of confession one comes to term with them.

My teacher recommends this practice but my first reaction was that confessions didn't feel like a Buddhist thing to do, probably because I associate it more with Christianity. In fact, the practice of confession is a core part of the Vinaya rules (monastic code of conduct) which monks perform daily for certain offences. Might give it a try one day.
    lobster
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Rabmudtz said:

How am I supposed to equalize myself with these people is what I want to know. How do you people here do it, cause I'm assuming it isn't just a local issue.
    Thanks beforehand

By seeing and paying attention to how much they suffer, rather than how irritating they are, and that their views and actions are a product of this suffering.

Just like it says in the "Food Sutta" being discussed here. :)http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/18641/sutra-club-food-sutta

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    How am I supposed to equalize myself with these people is what I want to know.
    To others you might be considered 'these people'. Please list your virtues and achievements in metta and insight . . . then judge them . . .

Hope you are as inherently superior as me . . . ;)
    personRabmudtz
  • maarten said:

- to see yourself as equal to others (of equal worth) in buddhism is considered a form a conceit (interesting, isn't it?!)

I did not know this, thank you for enlightening me on that fact. But what is the issue with it though, is it in that I'd actually be 'worth' less, or more? Or is the problem that I'd be considering people's 'worth' in the first place?

And thank you all others a great deal for the responses, many of you made quite an impact on me :)
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    Rabmudtz said:

maarten said:

- to see yourself as equal to others (of equal worth) in buddhism is considered a form a conceit (interesting, isn't it?!)

I did not know this, thank you for enlightening me on that fact. But what is the issue with it though, is it in that I'd actually be 'worth' less, or more? Or is the problem that I'd be considering people's 'worth' in the first place?
    but, i think if i remember correctly that i have heard in some dhamma talk video that it was taught by Buddha that don't consider yourself superior to others, don't consider yourself inferior to others, rather consider yourself equal to others. i think this was the reason also because of which in metta meditation, a person sends loving kindness to all sentient beings and also to that person's own self - because of the reason that you yourself as much as any other sentient being deserves your loving-kindness.
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    o
    Rabmudtz said:

Buddhism in most cases really "cuts it" for me, but I'm really having issues with seeing others truly having the true "worth" as me. I understand that of course we are all worth the same, but I very often feel alot of disdain towards people (especially those who can't respect others). People like religious/ political extremists. I don't want to get into any left/right discussions, I don't care about people being more inclinded this way or that. However, people who support parties (no names, but any Swede here might get the clue) that truly work against co-operation promote rascism, fascism, etc. Hasen't the world been through enough bloodshed, violence and horror not to realise how wrong such notions are? I truly feel like giving them a solid knee-strike to the gut in sheer frustration, even though I know that won't solve a thing. How am I supposed to equalize myself with these people is what I want to know. How do you people here do it, cause I'm assuming it isn't just a local issue.
    Thanks beforehand

It is not surprising if one sees others differently, even to the extent of not having the true 'worth' as him or her. Not everyone is a Buddha. Everyone though has an opportunity to attain Buddhahood but until then, everyone is different and some may be even be over lowly for us to click with -and do really need a solid knee-strike - why not? especially when they could harm innocent marathon runners for instance. Giving them a solid knee-strike may not solve a thing you may say, so, what probably could solve the problem? If Buddhism can't too, perhaps, it has failed.