Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Another question guys; can 'truth' be different for different people? Or is ultimate truth all same?

zenmystezenmyste Veteran
edited May 2013 in General Banter
If truth is truth then the ultimate truth is the same for everyone , no matter who you are or what you practice??

So another question always arises to me; if buddhism (or any practice for that matter) is stating 'theirs' is the ultimate Truth, then why isnt everyone practising it and benifiting from it..

Why are they not forcing it in schools?????

If buddhism is the WAY to peace and serenity and TRUTH then why isnt it commin sense for everyone to practice it?
Why is it so hard to grasp and pick up?

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I think Buddhism is A way to peace, serenity and truth. It is not the truth. I do believe that in the big questions, there is one truth. But I don't think everyone has the same path to get there. I think someone practicing Christianity, Judaism, Tao, Islam, Atheism, they can all find the truth using those paths (and others). I think that we can all know the truth, but most of us don't yet. A lot of people say that what they believe is the truth, but I don't think that is quite right. A lot of Christians, for example, believe that their beliefs are the one, and only true way, that they are the truth. I think the truth lies beyond that and that those who believe their beliefs ARE the truth, are missing the big picture. Beliefs can be a way to the truth. They aren't the truths themselves.
    John_Spencer
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    The "truth" is different for everyone; including within Buddhism.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    According to some mythologies, when the Buddha (Gautama) was born, he took seven steps in each of the cardinal directions (East, West, North, South) and then, raising his right hand to heaven and extending his left hand towards the earth, proclaimed: "Above the heavens and below the earth, I alone am the world-honored one."

Assuming for a moment that a newborn might walk at all, and perhaps speak, the intellect groans under the words as passed down through history: Either this guy was the most self-centered twerp since Donald Trump, or the words meant something quite different.

The intellect, of course, would like its "ultimate reality" or "truth" or "pure light" or whatever served up in cookie-cutter perfection ... something that would fit neatly in a Christmas box and would be enforcibly credible in all times and all places ... everybody would be good little robots swimming in a haze of holiness and would be pictured with halos on Hallmark calendars. It is hard to escape the notion/hope that the truth is one thing and that's that ... no more fussing and fidgeting and getting pissed off or depressed.

Well, there are plenty of temples built on this model and history shows dozens of bloody wars fought using this kind of "truth" as a touchstone. Right, wrong; holy, unholy; truth, falsehood -- the intellect may be in seventh heaven, but the heart is not at peace.

The truth, whatever it is, is up to you and it's up to me. Buddhism suggests meditation as a good way to realize and actualize the truth ... as distinct from making it up and stuffing it between our ears or between the covers of a book.

What is the truth? Is it something that is "the same?" Is it something that is "different?" Either of those descriptions would limit the truth, don't you think? The truth cannot be limited (the intellect says as it limits the truth), on the other hand to say it is "unlimited" is likewise limiting. Is the truth worth running after? Is it worth hiding from? Can it be limited by virtue or lack of virtue? ............. Hell, the questions go on and on.

I think meditation is a good exercise. In every moment, a baby breath is born, takes a few steps, proclaims ascendancy and is gone. There's not much point in looking back on it when a new baby has already arrived and deserves attention and care. Looking after all these babies would be like herding cats ... dumb at a minimum because what is gone is gone.

Actualize, realize and don't be a chicken.

Let the intellect do what it has to, but don't get tricked.

Is this in any way true? I haven't got a clue.
    riverflow
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2013
    If everything changes then there is no ultimate anything'
    The ultimate truth is just the idea that we should be somewhere else.
    riverflowJeffreyInvincible_summer
  • From a strictly logical standpoint, it is difficult to deny that there is at least a universal truth. Even the statement "there is no universal truth" is paradoxical as it implies that it is an absolute truth.

When discussing truth in this thread, are we talking about "the" universal truth? Or just "any ol' truth" in general? Because, of course, there is a difference.
    vinlynJohn_SpencerStraight_Man
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2013
    We each come from our own perspective but we are inter related.

When I say red I might think of a fire engine. Another time I would think of a tomato. I ask you and you might think of a red wagon. Thus the web of experience we have is unique to an individual and even to an individual is transient in time. Reality to a child of illusion (those who see through the solidity of the world) is vivid yet shifty.

The ultimate truth is that we all have open, clear, and sensitive minds. These three qualities are ungraspable thus you cannot know the truth in any other way than being the truth.
    personriverflow
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    karasti said:

I think Buddhism is A way to peace, serenity and truth. It is not the truth. I do believe that in the big questions, there is one truth. But I don't think everyone has the same path to get there. I think someone practicing Christianity, Judaism, Tao, Islam, Atheism, they can all find the truth using those paths (and others). I think that we can all know the truth, but most of us don't yet. A lot of people say that what they believe is the truth, but I don't think that is quite right. A lot of Christians, for example, believe that their beliefs are the one, and only true way, that they are the truth. I think the truth lies beyond that and that those who believe their beliefs ARE the truth, are missing the big picture. Beliefs can be a way to the truth. They aren't the truths themselves.

What truth are you refering to??

When you say "we can all know truth" .. Truth about what??

Do you mean truth about why we suffer? Truth about why we are here? Truth about what happens after we die? Etc etc ??

Are all religions talking about different truths? Seems like they are;

Christianity says their truth is GOD - that gods son jesus will one day come down and save us all etc etc we are all gods children...

Buddhism is all about mental suffering - why we suffer and how we stop suffering etc etc...

Taoisms truth is finding 'harmony in everything' (but again that comes under mental suffering!

So when someone gets into 'spirituality' and goes searching for 'meaning and truth' , are they refering to 'mental' meaning and truth? Or just any truth?

Sorry i just dont understand..
    Jeffrey
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Torture is the answer! Tie everyone up and teach them "happiness" ! haha. Just kidding.

In sutras like the samdhi-nirmochana sutra it is taught that the "ultimate" is individually realized. So yes, although there is one mountain top, you have to start where you are. My map might be helpful in letting you know what landmarks are along the way, but we could be on totally different sides of the same mountain. Or even many mountains, really. The view is the same. I've heard "takes a buddha to know a buddha" -- buddhas ultimately realize the same Mind =)

Have a loving day, with whatever you do with it :)

JeffreyStraight_Man
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    how said:

The ultimate truth is just the idea that we should be somewhere else.

See, again we could be talking about something else here, thats why i ask what do they mean about finding 'truth'

You say if eveything changes then there is no ultimate anything...

But it depends on what 'ultimate' your refering to because there 'is' an ultimate truth about the world (even tho we will never know it)

Its a fact that the world began somehow but we will never know how it even got here or how far space goes etc etc... So ultimate truth' does exist , but like i said, am i refering to something about different?

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    The ultimate truth is sky cake! :ninja:

The ultimate truth that we're referring to isn't an idea or a complete explanation of the universe. It can only be experienced directly and is ungraspable, as soon as you try to pick it up you've lost it.
    riverflow
    I'm not talking about any "The Truth" type of thing, just knowing the truth about those things we cannot comprehend or know the answers to. I think there is one truth to what happens to human when they die. Only 1. We all have different ideas on what it might be, but I think there is only one truth to what actually happens. Same thing for why humans are here (if there is a reason, which I personally believe there is). As far as any sort of ultimate truth, to me, it seems to be made up of a bunch of whatever the truths of unanswerable questions. If someone were to ask me what my ultimate truth was, I wouldn't have an answer, because I don't believe there is some One Big Ultimate Truth. I don't think the complexities of our existence can be summed up that way. But perhaps, our existence really isn't nearly as complex as we think.
    riverflowJohn_Spencer
  • graceleegracelee Veteran
    Truth is everything as it is in each moment before the human mind interprets, labels or judges it. as soon as you conceptualize it it ceases to be truth because it is too complex to be summed up in language. there is one ultimate truth and many interpretations of it..... that's my take on it anyway.

Grace
    riverflow
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    @zenmyste, you are asking very good questions. "Ultimate reality" .. this is a very profound direction to take ones practice. Back in the day people in India would spend years calming their minds and bodies to be able to practice deeply still meditation, just so they could investigate the meaning of everything (!)

From what I have read and been exposed to, there are many ways to realize "ultimate truth" and you can say that there are as many ways as there are beings in the six-fold cosmos, and thus, infinite ways!

In some traditions devotion to the guru is taught, in some traditions renunciation is taught, in some traditions, posture is taught. Yet, in all traditions, breathing meditation and inquiry into the true nature of reality are fundamental components.

So "ultimate" .. let me ask, what does this word mean in a non-spiritual context? Let's ask merriam webster.

2: arrived at as the last result , the last in a series

That's interesting. Perhaps we can ask some questions about things in the world. What is the ultimate nature of a cloud? What is the ultimate state of a tea cup?

If we study the Buddha's teachings, and take refuge in the Three Jewels, we can learn to see all things through to their Nature. Although the methods of inquiry are similar to what is known commonly as "science," Knowledge of the Ultimate is not a conceptual understanding. It's like trying to understand the taste of an almondbutter avocado sammich. You can draw pictures, take photos, ask people, think about how you might go about getting to a most delicious mouth watering almondbutter avocado sammich, but in the end to truly get a glimpse of the flavor you'll just have to sit down and bite into it for yourself.
    Shigo
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2013
    zenmyste said:

If truth is truth then the ultimate truth is the same for everyone , no matter who you are or what you practice??

So another question always arises to me; if buddhism (or any practice for that matter) is stating 'theirs' is the ultimate Truth, then why isnt everyone practising it and benifiting from it..

If buddhism is the WAY to peace and serenity and TRUTH then why isnt it commin sense for everyone to practice it?

In a sense, things like impermanence and causality are taught in various forms in various subjects in schools, just not in the same way or to the same extent as they are in Buddhism. But the way they're used in Buddhism — like medicine for a confused and unwell mind — they're of no use if they're forced upon us. Same with things like psychoanalytic therapy techniques, self-help programs, etc.
    Vastmind
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    That which has no arising, no passing away, does not change.
    Every thing changes.
    There is however this 'no thing' which we have many names for but a universal experience of.

That 'experience', does not change. Is not 'had' . . . so there it is . . .
    riverflowpegembarakarastikarmablues
  • zenmyste said:

As long as you are somebody you will not know the ultimate truth. For a Christian, it is God; a Moslem, Allah; Hawkings, Theory of Everything, Hindu, Atman etc. Even the Buddha did not proclaim the ultimate truth. All he taught was the suffering and the way to its cessation. The ultimate truth will only be known when all suffering ends.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    how said:

If everything always changes then wouldn't the fact that everything always changes, be ultimate?

• zenmyste said:

karasti said:

What truth are you refering to??

When you say "we can all know truth" .. Truth about what??

Do you mean truth about why we suffer? Truth about why we are here? Truth about what happens after we die? Etc etc ??

Are all religions talking about different truths? Seems like they are;

Christianity says their truth is GOD - that gods son jesus will one day come down and save us all etc etc we are all gods children...

Buddhism is all about mental suffering - why we suffer and how we stop suffering etc etc...

Taoisms truth is finding 'harmony in everything' (but again that comes under mental suffering!

So when someone gets into 'spirituality' and goes searching for 'meaning and truth' , are they refering to 'mental' meaning and truth? Or just any truth?

Sorry i just dont understand..
    I think, perhaps, as we all walk different paths it seems everyone is going in different directions.

Hence the doubt, hence the confusion...

What @karasti seems to mean is only when you have arrived in Rome do you realise that all paths lead there.

• FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited May 2013
    If there are no ultimate truths than religion must be a load of nonsense. How could the Buddha have taught that there is path to cessation of suffering without knowing that this is true? The world would have to be a certain way for it to be true, and so he must have known the way it is. All the well-known sages make claims to a knowledge of ultimate truths, usually very explicitly.

As @Jeffrey says earlier. the only way to know an ultimate truth would be to become the truth. This is a matter of logic. Still, there are truths that are simple facts that are true at all times and all places and that may be calculated. I suppose these could be called ultimate or absolute. For example, that all positive metaphysical positions are absurd. This may not be an ultimate truth in the sense the OP means, since it is a calculation and we can never know that we have not made a mistake, but it at least points to an ultimate truth and the possibility of knowing it. I'm confident that Nagarjuna did not work this out but used his proof only to explain to others what he knew directly as an ultimate truth, or as a ramification of one.

Only if we know an ultimate truth can we know that there is a path to the cessation of suffering (assuming that there is). Without a knowledge of any ultimate truth we can never know this, since we cannot know it by reason or heresay. It is not a truth if we have faith in it, but it is if we know it empirically. So it seems to me that Buddhism is the claim that there are ultimate truths.

According to the Upanishads it is a knowable ultimate truth that all phenomena are void. So it seems to me that either there are ultimate truths or the Vedas are fiction, and the Buddhist sutras with them.

Religion is not postmodernism, or not Buddhism anyway. If we cannot know ultimate truths then it would be just another dogmatic faith-based religion instead of the science that it actually is.

'Knowing the ancient beginnings is the essence of Tao' says Lao Tsu. This seems to mean that the essence of Tao is knowing an ultimate truth.

But maybe we should carefully define 'ultimate truth' here, in case we have different ideas in mind.

• riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited May 2013
    For myself, it is more about learning non-attachment to any notion of ultimate truth, because once verbalised, it is not longer "ultimate." Buddhism isn't ultimately about attaching to a new "something else," even if that "something else" is something profound or "ultimate." Just learn the skill of non-attachment. To me it is more a matter of trusting the method than belief in doctrines as a description of reality "as it really is."

At best, even "ultimate truth" is provisional, a necessary stepping stone to learning non-attachment. That's why it seems that the Heart Sutra negates the four noble truths. But the Heart Sutra dosn't contradict the four noble truths--rather it points to a nondualistic realisation of it.

And so it all comes back down to simply fetching water and carrying firewood. Where there is no metaphysical hierarchy, there is no "ultimate" or "relative" because they are both empty and interdependent. "Form is emptiness" of the Heart Sutra may seem to make sense on some level-- but "Emptiness is form" is the tricky part. This undermines the whole notion of a metaphysical hierarchy. Form and emptiness are not different.

But this is not a description of reality "as it really is" but one of many tools of the Buddhadharma to direct one to the other shore--but that "other shore" is the very ground we're standing on already. The problem is we can see that in attachment. Its all about letting go, because there is nothing to fear except insofar as we separate ourselves from everything else.

The problem with talking about nonduality is that it can't be talked about. Or, well, it can, but then you aren't actually talking about it, like a hand that tries to grab itself-- it can't be done. Likewise "truth" (if we can call it that) cannot grab itself, conceptualise itself. It can only realise itself.
    Florian
  • Here's the story I was looking for that I think describes what I'm getting at, about Sheng Yen:

In a story that could have been taken from the pages of classic Zen literature, the young Sheng-yen was on a brief sabbatical from the military, visiting local Ch'an teachers when, while up late one night meditating, he found himself sitting near an older man, also a guest of the monastery, who impressed Sheng-yen with his steady and peaceful demeanor. Asking the elderly monk if he would answer a question or two, Sheng-yen proceeded to pour out his heart for two hours, giving voice to all of the questions that no one had been able to help him with during his many years of spiritual practice. And at the end of each question, the monk, whom Sheng-yen would later find out was actually a revered Ch'an master, would simply ask, "Is that all?" Finally, Sheng-yen had exhausted his litany of questions and, in a moment of confusion, hesitated, not knowing what to do. Bang! The monk struck the platform they were sitting on and roared, "Take all of your questions and put them down! Who has all of these questions?" The effect on Sheng-yen was immediate and profound. "In that instant all of my questions were gone," he writes. "The whole world had changed. My body ran with perspiration but felt extraordinarily light. The person I had been was laughable. I felt like I had dropped a thousand-pound burden." The words of the Buddhist sutras [scriptures], which once seemed foreign and impenetrable, now came alive as Sheng-yen's own experience. "I understood them immediately, without explanation," he writes. "I felt as if they were my own words."
    Jeffreypegembarakarmablues
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    When I hear of folks speaking of "the ultimate truth" usually what I hear is the reference to a truth that supercedes another.
    In a fluidic reality, it's a valid way of softening someone's grasp of another absolute but to actually try to define it is likely to just cause more grasping..
    riverflowlobster
  • Wisdom23Wisdom23 Veteran
    There is no absolute truth, every opinion is subjective. The way one lives should not be about being right or wrong, true or false but about what makes you happy. No one can argue with that. In the search for truth i arrived at nihilism and that's a bitter pill to swallow and overcome. Life is a journey not an end result. To know the flaws in your practise and stilll carry on shows the path you have chosen is right for you.

I hope this somewhat contributes to your search for an answer.

All the best
    Not to pick nits, but what a person declares makes them happy can indeed be argued with from someone else's standpoint. It only works when that happiness is based on other principles of what most people consider to be good/moral/healthy living. I can most certainly disagree with what members of NAMBLA say brings them happiness, and so on. People argue against what makes another happy all the time.

In thinking about this topic here and there over the past few days, I guess what I've arrived at for myself is, I don't care. I used to spend a lot of time thinking about such topics, but in the end, there is no real answer. You can arrive at an answer based on all the same things that cause us problems in other areas of our life, or you can think so much you start to go a bit nutty. It doesn't matter to me whether there is an ultimate truth or not, and I don't spend much time worrying about it. If it's there, then one day I'll come to know it. If not, my life won't be much different on a day to day basis. I just try to live by the best principles and values I can on a daily basis and make better decisions each day. What results from that, doesn't really matter to me because I have too little time here to bother worry too much about what ifs. I don't believe in an ultimate truth. But I don't not-believe, either.
    riverflow
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited May 2013
    riverflow said:

For myself, it is more about learning non-attachment to any notion of ultimate truth, because once verbalised, it is not longer "ultimate." Buddhism isn't ultimately about attaching to a new "something else," even if that "something else" is something profound or "ultimate." Just learn the skill of non-attachment. To me it is more a matter of trusting the method than belief in doctrines as a description of reality "as it really is."

At best, even "ultimate truth" is provisional, a necessary stepping stone to learning non-attachment. That's why it seems that the Heart Sutra negates the four noble truths. But the Heart Sutra dosn't contradict the four noble truths--rather it points to a nondualistic realisation of it.

And so it all comes back down to simply fetching water and carrying firewood. Where there is no metaphysical hierarchy, there is no "ultimate" or "relative" because they are both empty and interdependent. "Form is emptiness" of the Heart Sutra may seem to make sense on some level-- but "Emptiness is form" is the tricky part. This undermines the whole notion of a metaphysical hierarchy. Form and emptiness are not different.

But this is not a description of reality "as it really is" but one of many tools of the Buddhadharma to direct one to the other shore--but that "other shore" is the very ground we're standing on already. The problem is we can see that in attachment. Its all about letting go, because there is nothing to fear except insofar as we separate ourselves from everything else.

The problem with talking about nonduality is that it can't be talked about. Or, well, it can, but then you aren't actually talking about it, like a hand that tries to grab itself-- it can't be done. Likewise "truth" (if we can call it that) cannot grab itself, conceptualise itself. It can only realise itself.

For what it's worth all that seems spot on to me. But one has to ask why they are called the four noble truths. I think we look at this slightly differently, because I would say that a truth that cannot be expressed is nevertheless a truth (as long as we know it is), while you may restrict 'truth' to statements and propositions. So I would agree that statements and propositions cannot be absolute truths, and for the reasons you give, but would suggest that the truth of nonduality can be known as an absolute truth even if it cannot be expressed. This seems to be just a slightly different use of words and concepts.

riverflow
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    zenmyste said:

Quite simply because it isn't something you can objectify, grasp, construct, make tangible.

And of course one can make that into the absolute. Oh the absolute is ungraspablity.

And that may help some people but only in the realm of ideas.

True help comes from experiential practice. Practice is not just one big experience, but continually come back to whats happening. Seeing, smelling, thinking, tasting, feeling, hearing, being, etc. Just this simplicity. All the dharma, path, and fruit is contained right there.

Yet the mind goes I don't get it, Am I enlightened yet? So back to sitting, etc.
    riverflowJeffrey
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Finally, Sheng-yen had exhausted his litany of questions and, in a moment of confusion, hesitated, not knowing what to do. Bang! The monk struck the platform they were sitting on and roared, "Take all of your questions and put them down! Who has all of these questions?" The effect on Sheng-yen was immediate and profound. "In that instant all of my questions were gone," he writes. "The whole world had changed. My body ran with perspiration but felt extraordinarily light. The person I had been was laughable. I felt like I had dropped a thousand-pound burden."
    "I have stopped ....... You stop."

To Angulimala.
    riverflow
  • According to Osho it is different for different people.
    zenmyste
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    Really. Where does he say this?

• fixingjulianfixingjulian Explorer
    edited July 2013
    fixed below
  • Florian said:

Taken from Osho's discussion on the Dhammapada Vol. 1.

The ultimate law is not a thing. It is not an object that you can observe. It is your interiority, it is subjectivity.
    Buddha would have agreed totally with the Danish thinker, Soren Kierkegaard. He says: Truth is subjectivity. That is the difference between fact and truth. A fact is an objective thing. Science goes on searching for more and more facts, and science will never arrive at truth -- it cannot by the very definition of the word. Truth is the interiority of the scientist, but he never looks at it. He goes on observing other things. He never becomes aware of his own being.
    That is the last meaning of 'dhamma': your interiority, your subjectivity, your truth.
    One thing very significant -- allow it to sink deep into your heart: truth is never a theory, a hypothesis; it is always an experience. Hence my truth cannot be your truth. My truth is inescapably my truth; it will remain my truth, it cannot be yours. We cannot share it. Truth is unsharable, untransferable, incommunicable, inexpressible.
    I can explain to you how I have attained it, but I cannot say what it is. The "how" is explainable, but not the "why." The discipline can be shown, but not the goal. Each one has to come to it in his own way. Each one has to come to it in his own inner being. In absolute aloneness it is revealed.

riverflowJeffrey
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    One thing very significant -- allow it to sink deep into your heart: truth is never a theory, a hypothesis; it is always an experience. Hence my truth cannot be your truth. My truth is inescapably my truth; it will remain my truth, it cannot be yours. We cannot share it. Truth is unsharable, untransferable, incommunicable, inexpressible
    Wonderful? Convincing eh?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhagwan_Shree_Rajneesh
    . . . or . . . drivel of a nitrous oxide addled brain, doing its best to look and quack like a duck and offering Kentucky Fried 'Dharma' and a mass poisoning cult. Know them by their fruits.

Out for a duck.

Truth is not 'experienced'. Ego is experienced. His was considerable.
    Here are some great tips more of which I will be adopting as further proof of my ineptitude (nothing worse than being a 'guru' for the side order of 'Bhag1 get one free')
    http://www.energygrid.com/spirit/ap-falsegurutest.html
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran

Florian said:

Taken from Osho's discussion on the Dhammapada Vol. 1.

The ultimate law is not a thing. It is not an object that you can observe. It is your interiority, it is subjectivity.
    Buddha would have agreed totally with the Danish thinker, Soren Kierkegaard. He says: Truth is subjectivity. That is the difference between fact and truth. A fact is an objective thing. Science goes on searching for more and more facts, and science will never arrive at truth -- it cannot by the very definition of the word. Truth is the interiority of the scientist, but he never looks at it. He goes on observing other things. He never becomes aware of his own being.
    That is the last meaning of 'dhamma': your interiority, your subjectivity, your truth.
    One thing very significant -- allow it to sink deep into your heart: truth is never a theory, a hypothesis; it is always an experience. Hence my truth cannot be your truth. My truth is inescapably my truth; it will remain my truth, it cannot be yours. We cannot share it. Truth is unsharable, untransferable, incommunicable, inexpressible.
    I can explain to you how I have attained it, but I cannot say what it is. The "how" is explainable, but not the "why." The discipline can be shown, but not the goal. Each one has to come to it in his own way. Each one has to come to it in his own inner being. In absolute aloneness it is revealed.

I am a fan of Osho. But I would argue with the idea that this says that truth is different for different people. It is subjective, yes, in the sense that it cannot be merely a shared theory or hypothesis, it must be knowledge by identity if it to be known as truth, but in the end it's always the same subject/identity and the same truth. That is, truth would be the same for all Buddhas. We all live in the same universe. We can only know a truth if it is in fact true. As Osho says, we all have to come to truth in our own way and alone. But when we do come to it, in a full sense, we meet the ancestors, and do not each end up in a place nobody has been before. The difference between subjective and objective truth would break down at the limit. Hence all roads lead to Rome and we do not end up with a ragbag of contradictory truths.
    fixingjulian
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    Ok, so we each perceive truth differently, according to the idea sets our monkey brains learn or know or some of each mixed together. However, when the meaning is understood after being revealed, all Buddhas reflect the same truth from experience. The path is not just one for all, rather the paths are one for each, but the destination is the same for all, in different words.
  • Truth is truth. Truth is universal and applies to everyone. As example there is gravity on earth. Regardless of personal beliefs or someone who thinks they are the real superman, what goes up must come down. Truth should not be confused with a belief system or religion faith. There is truth in buddhism but since there is no actual proof of red birth as example or enlightenment, we have faith these things are real. I'm answering in a bit late here so hopefully I didn't just say what someone else did.
  • Up above I meant re-birth not red birth. Lol
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited July 2013

Ok, so we each perceive truth differently, according to the idea sets our monkey brains learn or know or some of each mixed together. However, when the meaning is understood after being revealed, all Buddhas reflect the same truth from experience. The path is not just one for all, rather the paths are one for each, but the destination is the same for all, in different words.

It seems that way to me. As I figure it, the destination would be truth. Thus Al-Halaj 'I am truth'. So in the end we do not so much learn the truth as become it. Knowing the truth would require a knower and a known, a duality that would allow for error. Identity with truth allows no possibility of error. Thus Aristotle concluded that true knowledge is identical with its object. There would be no other kind. As we are all the same phenomenon, we would all be able to realise the same truth in the same way.
    FullCircle
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    The truth has a heart that calls to us. The world is a process of beings being flung into samsara and then being drawn back by truth. We never let truth go. Or rather, truth never lets us go.
    lobsterriverflow
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Or rather, truth never lets us go.
    This perhaps is difficult to comprehend but our Buddha Mind, Awakened mind is always present. Truly.

Most of our life and energy is given to avoiding or doing other stuff - for example I am trying to instigate the pictorial representation of a not yet created Quantum CPU in the Processing Computer Language, which sounds very impressive but is in some ways meaningless . . .

How wonderful that what we move towards, moves ever closer of its own 'volition' :clap:
    Jeffrey
  • SileSile Veteran
    Such a fascinating question. I think that there is ultimate truth, at least in the way we humans typically understand (or try to understand) the concept; but our personal experience of understanding it is so individualized, that when we talk about it or debate it we're bound to describe it in different ways. And sometimes in ways that are so different, that others think it's different from their experience--so different, in fact, that it's wrong.

Great question--very much enjoying reading the responses.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2013
    Sile said:

Such a fascinating question. I think that there is ultimate truth, at least in the way we humans typically understand (or try to understand) the concept; but our personal experience of understanding it is so individualized, that when we talk about it or debate it we're bound to describe it in different ways. And sometimes in ways that are so different, that others think it's different from their experience--so different, in fact, that it's wrong.

I tend to see things similarly.

According to the commenterial tradition of Theravada, ultimate truth (paramattha-sacca) refers to a level of truth or understanding that's not relative or based on conventional appearances or designations (as opposed to sammuti-sacca or 'commonly accepted truth'), but a deeper level of understanding of the underlying reality of things as they are arising from insight into the conditioned, impermanent, and selfless nature of phenomena, particularly vis-a-vis the five aggregates, which brings to mind a passage from SN 22.94:
    "I do not dispute with the world, bhikkhus. The world disputes with me. A proclaimer of Dhamma does not dispute with anyone in the world. What is not believed by the wise in the world, of that I say 'It is not so.' What is believed by the wise in the world, of that I say 'It is so.'

"And what is it, bhikkhus, that is not believed by the wise in the world and of which I say 'It is not so'? That the body... feeling... perception... mental activities... consciousness is permanent, stable, eternal, not liable to change, is not believed by the wise in the world and I also say it is not so.

"And what is it, bhikkhus, that is believed by the wise in the world and of which I say 'It is so'? That the body... feeling... perception... mental activities... consciousness is impermanent, unsatisfactory, liable to change, is believed by the wise in the world and I also say it is so.

"There is, bhikkhus, in the world a world-condition which the Tathaagata has fully awakened to, has fully realized. Having fully awakened to it and fully realized it he declares it, teaches it, makes it known, establishes it, discloses it, analyzes it, makes it clear. And what, bhikkhus, in the world is the world-condition which the Tathaagata has fully awakened to, has fully realized? The body, bhikkhus,... feeling... perception... mental activities... consciousness, bhikkhus, in the world is that world-condition the Tathaagata has fully awakened to, has fully realized...

"And whosoever, bhikkhus, when it is being declared, taught, made known, established, disclosed, analyzed, made clear by the Tathaagata thus, does not understand, does not see, him, a foolish worldly person, blind, without vision, not understanding, not seeing, I can do nothing for.

"Just as a water-lily or a blue lotus or a white lotus, born in water, growing in water, having arisen above the water stands unwetted by the water, similarly, bhikkhus, the Tathaagata, brought up in the world and conquering the world, lives unsullied by the world."
    But as I mentioned before, the way these truths are used in Buddhism — like medicine for a confused and unwell mind — they're of no use if they're forced upon us with a rigid orthodoxy. Same with things like psychoanalytic therapy techniques, self-help programs, etc.

Insight can't be forced; it must unfold naturally.
    Sileriverflowlobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Insight can't be forced; it must unfold naturally.
    Enfold, unfold. Sounds like a Lotus.
    http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/history/b_lotus.htm

Good company? Stay with the lotuses . . .
    :wave:
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    zenmyste said:

Truth is truth to someone and someone only and to that someone, someone else may be Truth blind just like others could be colour blind. That applies too to people who are perfectly blind and could see nothing for they have their mind eye to see truth as they see fit. Now, what do you say?