Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I love this buddhist tattoo design BUT can someone tell me what the skeleton is supposed to be?

Comments

• TakuanTakuan Veteran
    looks like it's meant to be the illusion of death.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    It is a picture of the Buddha being tempted by Mara when he became enlightened.

He turned all the assault into flowers.

Then Mara said that there was no dharma. Buddha touched the earth in response.
  • Deadly elements maybe? Like war, hatred, discrimination, violence.
  • Mara is the Lord or God of Death. The skull is Mara. In the version I heard, Mara sent his beautiful daughters to attempt to seduce Siddhartha as he was meditating but before he awakened to Enlightenment. Then Mara sent his army of monsters to attack Siddhartha in an effort to get the man to fight back. Siddhartha ignored it all and the Earth itself called witness to Siddhartha's worthiness to be Buddha. It seems in this tattoo version he also tempted Buddha with riches.

What's interesting is both the parallels to Jesus being tempted by Satan in the desert. Both stories are independent, and speak to a universal truth about the human experience. Certain roads lead to destruction, no matter how satisfied they make you at the moment.