Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is meditation hard or easy?

Kind of a funny title, isn't it. The train of thoughts leading to me posting is thinking of my brother just starting meditating and worrying that he will surpass me as he already surpasses me in other status gaining things. But then I noted that in Buddhism any notion of status is relative truth and in reality in peace of just being there is a wholesomeness that is unperturbed by better or worse.

So I got onto the idea that maybe some people have an easier time at meditation? Even if that's true don't we all have our crosses to bear?

I have side effects of drugs that make it hard to feel my body at times. So that is a hindrance. But doesn't everybody experience a hindrance? What does it mean to analyze if older, in the dharma, sanghamates are further, closer, or apart from our meditation experience.

That's not even looking at the question of *should* we compare.... I am assuming we DO compare and just interested in where people go from that space.

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Hey Jeffrey
    I have not found Hard & easy to be useful terms to use in describing meditation but the obstacles that you overcome daily to practise are inspirational.

Meditation is noticing that it's hard to feel your body at times. It is not a hindrance, it's just the observation of phenomena.

Compare your meditation practise with others as much as you like but know this in itself has little to do with meditation.
    In the midst of a fully engaged meditation practise, when a meditation student concerns them self with the subjective comparisons of others meditation, they've simply stopped meditating and have become caught up again in their own conditioned dream.
    Just returning directly to the subject ( or subjectlessness ) of your meditation with minimal mentality about your meditation break is the usual answer.

Jeffreylobster
  • Meditation is ultimately another distraction. What you are expecting is another 'experience'. All experiences lead to are more experiences. A blind ally.
    No duality.
    No 'connecting' No 'Not connecting'
    All that is,is That.
    Anything 'seperate' from That an illusion.
    Contemplate Non Duality without posture
    Contemplate Non Duality without ritual
    Contemplate Non Duality in every action
    'Enlightenment' comes without fanfare
    Its already 'here'
    All that is,is That.
  • Lee82Lee82 Veteran
    Meditation is pointless, it serves no purpose, there is no goal. You do it for the sake of doing it and not because it gets you anywhere. Nobody can surpass you in meditation because that implies there is a target to aim for.
    Lucy_Begood
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    It's hard if you make it hard, it's easy if you make it easy? :D
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    @seeker242, reminds me of a koan on a ninja website:

Fire-Poker Zen

Hakuin used to tell his pupils about an old woman who had a teashop, praising her understanding of Zen. The pupils refused to believe what he told them and would go to the teashop to find out for themselves.

Whenever the woman saw them coming she could tell at once whether they had come for tea or to look into her grasp of Zen. In the former case, she would server them graciously. In the latter, she would beckon to the pupils to come behind her screen. The instant they obeyed, she would strike them with a fire-poker.

Nine out of ten of them could not escape her beating.

Kind of comical ^^^
  • If your brother surpasses you in meditation, both your lives will improve. To wish him well in this endeavor is the epitome of metta. You might try cultivating metta for him explicitly.

Meditation is hard until it's easy. It depends on the mindstate you start with and your skill in settling it down. Coming to equilibrium from an extremely disturbed mindstate can be hard even for fairly skilled meditators. Once equilibrium is attained and attachments to things causing the disturbance have been dropped, it's easy.
    Jeffreybuddhistok
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    You're right fivebells, he faces bad anxiety. It could be great if he finds a resource in meditation. I have naturally done some mettameditation. But I haven't emphasized that type. I more do it spontaneously rather.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    This is meditation?
    This is not?
    Into awareness, into the moment, into ease.
    We enter formality with ease. Sit easily. Leave formality but stay in ease . . .

What is hard is entering and experiencing discursively. Then leaving awareness.
    Maybe we are not really meditating? We are doing 'a sitting thing'.

Enter gently. Sit gently. Leave?

. . . gently does it . . .
  • neither.
    lobsterLucy_Begood
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Lee82 said:

Meditation is pointless, it serves no purpose, there is no goal. You do it for the sake of doing it and not because it gets you anywhere. Nobody can surpass you in meditation because that implies there is a target to aim for.

If this is not a Zen statement about goalessness then it is an unverified opinion stated as a fact. The Buddha surpassed me in meditation by quite a margin. Okay, I'm a Buddha at some level, but I am often surpassed on the path to realising this. I expect I have been surpassed by many people on this site.

'Buddhist meditation is easy', I was once told, 'either you do it or you don't'. Makes sense to me. But we will all start from different places and go at different speeds.

HHDL comments that the spiritual path is easy if we have no preferences.
    Cittariverflowlobsterkarmablues
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    After many years of trying ..it just is. What I think is true for me , and we are all different..is that times when practice seems most dry and fruitless sometimes turn out in retrospect to have been most fruitful.
    The object of the exercise is after all to dismantle our identification with the person that thinks that things are hard or easy...Buddhadharma is a path of shedding not gaining.
    Florianriverflowbuddhistok
  • Whether one thinks meditating is easy or meditating is hard, he is right!!!
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Do it ...
    Don't do it...
    It's your life.
    Take responsibility.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited June 2013
    We all have our hindrances. Yes, some people have it easier than others, at least on specific issues. Some have more problems cultivating metta, others have more problems recognizing suffering, some have addictions, or have trouble keeping virtuous conduct, and all kinds of things.

This is the same that some people are natural athletes, artists and musicians while others have to train much more. But in a way I have more respect for those who have it harder and still practice. That way you can also learn more. Once I heard a monk say, the best teachers are those who struggled the most. :D

Jealousy or comparing oneself to others is something to abandon on the path. If you can, it doesn't matter who is further or less far on the path. I sometimes do the Bodhisattva contemplation of intending to let all beings enter nirvana before me, of me helping them to nirvana. This helps with this. Perhaps try it also @Jeffrey.
    Jeffreybuddhistok
  • i prefer mine soft n over-easy.

but seriously, if it was easy, we will have
    fewer problems in the world.
    Jeffrey said:

Kind of a funny title, isn't it. The train of thoughts leading to me posting is thinking of my brother just starting meditating and worrying that he will surpass me as he already surpasses me in other status gaining things. But then I noted that in Buddhism any notion of status is relative truth and in reality in peace of just being there is a wholesomeness that is unperturbed by better or worse.

So I got onto the idea that maybe some people have an easier time at meditation? Even if that's true don't we all have our crosses to bear?

I have side effects of drugs that make it hard to feel my body at times. So that is a hindrance. But doesn't everybody experience a hindrance? What does it mean to analyze if older, in the dharma, sanghamates are further, closer, or apart from our meditation experience.

That's not even looking at the question of *should* we compare.... I am assuming we DO compare and just interested in where people go from that space.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    OK . . .
    . . . trying to engage with a time it was hard for me . . . and believe me it was . . .

1. Find an easy form to gain the benefits . . . all my early forms were based on the body. Tai Chi, yoga, kata as 'moving meditation'.
    2. Some Taoists just sit around in nature and stroke their chins
    3. Trance induction - yes I know - as used in hypnosis CD's and DVD’s can teach your subconscious to relax . . . and more . . .
    4. On SecondLife I used to visit a sitting group that practiced mindfullnes for seconds - less than a minute, we sat together and chatted and then every 15 minutes there was a pause . . .
    5. The dervishes often engage in mindful crafts/livelihood - how many have done work duties on retreats? Mindful cleaning. Now you are polishing . . .

If hard, you need to find a form that eases you . . .
    Be gentle with 'your'self, she has been on a long journey . .

Onward and Upward, Sideways and Inward (YinYana saying)
  • First I'd like to say that most of the seemingly more profound statements on this thread are nearly completely over my head, and it is very discouraging. If anyone is willing to help explain some of them please let me know.

Here are a few I don't understand:

1) "Just returning directly to the subject ( or subjectlessness ) of your meditation with minimal mentality about your meditation break is the usual answer. "

The only thing I don't understand is "meditation break". What does that mean?

2) "Meditation is ultimately another distraction. What you are expecting is another 'experience'. All experiences lead to are more experiences. A blind ally.
    No duality.
    All that is,is That.
    Its already 'here'
    All that is,is That. "

Could someone kindly do a "For Dummies" translation/analysis?

3) "Fire-Poker Zen

Hakuin used to tell his pupils about an old woman who had a teashop, praising her understanding of Zen. The pupils refused to believe what he told them and would go to the teashop to find out for themselves.

Whenever the woman saw them coming she could tell at once whether they had come for tea or to look into her grasp of Zen. In the former case, she would server them graciously. In the latter, she would beckon to the pupils to come behind her screen. The instant they obeyed, she would strike them with a fire-poker."

Nine out of ten of them could not escape her beating.

I don't understand this at all. What is the moral of the story?

4) "This is meditation?
    This is not?
    Into awareness, into the moment, into ease.
    We enter formality with ease. Sit easily. Leave formality but stay in ease . . .

What is hard is entering and experiencing discursively. Then leaving awareness.
    Maybe we are not really meditating? We are doing 'a sitting thing'.

Enter gently. Sit gently. Leave?

. . . gently does it . . . "

Sorry I don't understand this one at all either.

Should I go on quoting all that I don't understand? Or is there a one-size-fits-all fix for this confusion? I always looking to have a firmer grasp on how easy or hard meditation is and how it could be done more or less efficiently.
  • Florian said:

'Buddhist meditation is easy', I was once told, 'either you do it or you don't'. Makes sense to me. But we will all start from different places and go at different speeds.

What does this mean?
  • zenmyste said:

Whether one thinks meditating is easy or meditating is hard, he is right!!!

Why?
  • buddhistokbuddhistok Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Jeff
    Sabre said:

We all have our hindrances. Yes, some people have it easier than others, at least on specific issues. Some have more problems cultivating metta, others have more problems recognizing suffering, some have addictions, or have trouble keeping virtuous conduct, and all kinds of things.

This is the same that some people are natural athletes, artists and musicians while others have to train much more. But in a way I have more respect for those who have it harder and still practice. That way you can also learn more. Once I heard a monk say, the best teachers are those who struggled the most. :D

Jealousy or comparing oneself to others is something to abandon on the path. If you can, it doesn't matter who is further or less far on the path. I sometimes do the Bodhisattva contemplation of intending to let all beings enter nirvana before me, of me helping them to nirvana. This helps with this. Perhaps try it also @Jeffrey.

This is a great idea, Sabre. Jeffrey, I also wanted to add that, if I had a brother that exceeded me in everything, I may naturally sometimes be envious and jealous, but I would be very excited and eager to learn if he was "going farther" on the spiritual path*.

*By "going farther" i mean shedding more spiritual/psychological luggage, depending on what your beliefs are.
  • lobster said:

OK . . .
    . . . trying to engage with a time it was hard for me . . . and believe me it was . . .

1. Find an easy form to gain the benefits . . . all my early forms were based on the body. Tai Chi, yoga, kata as 'moving meditation'.
    2. Some Taoists just sit around in nature and stroke their chins
    3. Trance induction - yes I know - as used in hypnosis CD's and DVD’s can teach your subconscious to relax . . . and more . . .
    4. On SecondLife I used to visit a sitting group that practiced mindfullnes for seconds - less than a minute, we sat together and chatted and then every 15 minutes there was a pause . . .
    5. The dervishes often engage in mindful crafts/livelihood - how many have done work duties on retreats? Mindful cleaning. Now you are polishing . . .

If hard, you need to find a form that eases you . . .
    Be gentle with 'your'self, she has been on a long journey . .

Onward and Upward, Sideways and Inward (YinYana saying)

Lobster I don't understand either of your first 2 posts on this thread. If you could kindly explain them I would appreciate it.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Sometimes I'm hard, sometimes soft.

First I'd like to say that most of the seemingly more profound statements on this thread are nearly completely over my head, and it is very discouraging. If anyone is willing to help explain some of them please let me know.

Here are a few I don't understand:

1) "Just returning directly to the subject ( or subjectlessness ) of your meditation with minimal mentality about your meditation break is the usual answer. "

The only thing I don't understand is "meditation break". What does that mean?

The term meditation break just refers to a break in the meditation. A meditation break is where instead of objectively viewing phenomena, you find yourself instead actively engaged with that phenomena.
    Spending time judging how one's meditation is going instead of just meditating was my example of taking a meditation break.
    Instead of worrying about getting caught up with phenomena when you finally notice that's what has happened, just return immediately to meditating without getting caught up in self judgements.
  • DaivaDaiva Veteran
    The totality of life is a meditation.
    Mindfulness of every aspect of every moment of every sensory observation from birth until death starts off easy, until you start to lose yourself and see past the illusions and get closer to the oneness, and then it just gets harder. The reality of the "not nothingness" is scary.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Hi @buddhistok,

The firepoker zen is a koan so of course it is hard to understand. Koans are used to show something in our direct intuition of life. So they don't make literal sense always.

For me the lady brings out the fire poker when someone comes to question her dharma understanding. It's not really true someone would beat people with a firepoker that's why it is a koan. So the student who is making life simple just wants her tea. The buddhist who is obsessed with ideas rather than making it simple gets the fire poker. I imagine she debates them and tears them apart.

It's just a koan. I'm glad you asked all of your questions.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    So my brother has completed the full course of MBSR (mindfulness based stress relief) patterned after Jon Kabatt Zinns method. Now my step mother has been in the hospital, (she is doing really good knock on wood), but my dad is reading the Sacred Path of the Warrior by Trungpa. I leant it to him. He said he might try meditating. So that is exciting for me. Now we just need to get the mom to meditate.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Lobster I don't understand either of your first 2 posts on this thread. If you could kindly explain them I would appreciate it.
    What don't you understand. Please be specific. What do you understand it might mean? Many thanks.
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran

Florian said:

What does this mean?
    The first point is that meditation is not something we can train for or understand except by doing it. And if we do it then it will have its effect. It was a Zen comment, and perhaps not all Buddhists would go along with it, since some methods are quite complex and need a bit more than 'just sitting'.

The second, if I may make so bold, is that it is our preferences, in the form of desires, worldy ambitions, likings and dislikings, acceptances and rejections, that get in the way of our progress and tie us down to the mundane world. With no preferences we have no reason to let our self-interested ego stand between us and progress. We would not even have a reason to cease practicing all day and night. So then the path becomes easy. We are not being led by the nose by our ego, and it is only our ego that makes the path difficult. Or something like that. It is always safe to assume that there is more to these things than can be said.

• "Meditation is ultimately another distraction. What you are expecting is another 'experience'. All experiences lead to are more experiences. A blind ally.
    No duality.
    All that is,is That.
    Its already 'here'
    All that is,is That. "

Could someone kindly do a "For Dummies" translation/analysis?

I shall try;

Meditation for most who do it is about clearing the mind
    Stretching out the space "between" thought.
    Bringing themselves 'into' a different state of 'mind'
    But Ultimately there is only one 'state' of mind.
    No-Thing is seperate from anything else
    Including mind
    You dont need to 'look' for anything,nothing was lost.

You need only contemplate the dualistic nature of mind
    There's "you" and everything thats "not you"
    This is an illusion
    Everything is 'part' of a whole or "Absolute"
    Inter-being with everything else.

This "Absolute" is everything you see, hear, touch, taste, every-"Thing", including you is this "Absolute" in different manifestations.
    The appearance of each manifestation looks different to be sure
    But Ulitimately its the same 'stuff'
    Mind is also a manifestation of this "Absolute"

There is only "Oneness"

You don't need to look for this "Oneness" by ritual, or meditating, or finding it in books.
    These are all pointers, but pointers are useless if you don't realise what they are pointing at.
    If we allow 'ourselves' to be drawn into 'ritual' we have already stumbled past. When we view 'ourselves' as seperate to other things, we stumble past.

The "Key" (if you like) to "Enlightenment"
    Is to understand your dualistic mind
    Things are this or that, good or bad, better or worse, heroic or pathetic
    This dualism stops you seeing what it "IS"

"Enlightenment" can sometimes be accompanied by "Oh!"
    No fanfare
    No revelation
    Just "Oh"

You dont need any special time or place to contemplate your dualistic nature. You can do it all the "time"

Once you are aware of it, you can start to remove "I"

'Chop wood, Fetch water'

The other thing to remember is when people try to teach about this "Absolute" they are restricted by 'relative' vocabulary. This makes it difficult, hence the use of Koans in Zen. Koans are designed to break language patterns and most peoples first response is "what?"

They are used as pointers to this "Absolute"

"Show me your face a thousand years back" is a Koan

If you understand there is only the "Absolute" (sometimes refered to as "That")

From the Koan above is there a "face" or is it the name of a perception?
    A thousand years back:Is there a "past" or is this also the name of a perception?
    The statement is designed to break down or at least make you contemplate on these perceptions.

Anything that is a perception is "born" from the self

The "Self" is ultimately an illusion
    Made of perceptions
    There is no consistant self
    It changes from moment to moment

Unfortunately the more we try to describe all these "finer" points, the more we get bogged down in the weeds.

Desrcibe what you are already a part of
    to describe it you have to set yourself apart from
    This is not reality
    you are not apart from

"All that is, is That"

Last thing to remember is some "teachers" (is this also a perception?) speak of things from a relative viewpoint and some from an "Absolute" viewpoint. You should be wary and if you require a "teacher" stick with one, but again he could be lost in perceptual/conceptual thought. A blind man leads a blind man

Without ritual, teachings, books, mantras or meditation "Enlightenment" can be "found"

"Find" it for yourself

Was this helpful?

Of course i could just be caught up in my own perceptions and net of words

Keep your wits about you!