Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Deep(ish) thoughts

Examples are not mine, I read them on a website a while ago but can't remember where. Thinking about our brain fascinates me, which brings my first example: right now, my brain is thinking about itself. Weird......Also, we see with our brains, the eyes are just portals that send info to the brain, so, if you were somehow able to look at your brain during say, brain surgery, the brain would be looking at itself. Lastly, the brain named itself. Think about that, with your brain.......

SillyPuttyInvincible_summerEnriqueSpain

Comments

• Illeism
    riverflow
  • @mfranzdorf - things can get quite freaky:

[LINK]
    person
  • How do they get Teflon to stick to the pan?
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    In human beings matter becomes conscious of itself.......
    riverflow
  • I've read where some matter behaves differently when it is being observed , so that would suggest it happens in other things as well as humans.
    Citta said:

In human beings matter becomes conscious of itself.......

• CittaCitta Veteran
    It may happen in other beings. But we know it happens in humans. Matter has become conscious. Matter can examine matter thousands of light years away.
    riverflow
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    We need to differentiate between 'brain' and 'mind'.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Brain is matter. Mind is consciousness.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Yeah. I've just watched the video.... The experiment towards the end may seem (literally) mind-blowing, but to me, is eminently logical....
    riverflowDavid
    I like the fact that at the end he's donating his brain to science.... and has to put his name to the form... Watch it for yourselves, it's a deliciously ironic moment, in which, AFAIAC, he still doesn't 'get it'.
    riverflow
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran

I've read where some matter behaves differently when it is being observed , so that would suggest it happens in other things as well as humans.

Well yes and no. Be careful about extrapolating quantum science to areas it doesn't apply.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    Citta said:

So where is our mind? I would say brain is matter, mind is the process of brain. But 'mind' is a dreadfully vague term, which leads to all kinds of problems. 'Cognitive processes' might be better for what I mean.
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    Daozen said:

I've read where some matter behaves differently when it is being observed , so that would suggest it happens in other things as well as humans.

Well yes and no. Be careful about extrapolating quantum science to areas it doesn't apply.
    Wave-Duality Theory?
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    You want mind-blowing waves? OK ...

• ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Daozen said:

You want mind-blowing waves? OK ...

I just get lost in translation... :scratch:

I just want to confirm if was Wave-Duality Theory or maybe other that quantum science that you was talking about.

About that waves in the video, indeed are mind-blowing :)
  • Examples are not mine, I read them on a website a while ago but can't remember where. Thinking about our brain fascinates me, which brings my first example: right now, my brain is thinking about itself. Weird......Also, we see with our brains, the eyes are just portals that send info to the brain, so, if you were somehow able to look at your brain during say, brain surgery, the brain would be looking at itself. Lastly, the brain named itself. Think about that, with your brain.......

Where in the brain is the "person" located? Is it in the frontal, parietal, temporal or occipital lobe? Where is seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting, touching taking place?

Take the example of hearing.

There is only the process of hearing. No hearer and no heard. What actually hears? Where is the hearer located? Is it the eardrum, ear ossicles, cochlea, auditory nerve or brain? What is heard is nothing but vibrations. The "hearer" is an activity, not an entity.

What is the "ear"(anatta) without its parts (the eardrum, ear ossicles, cochlea, auditory nerve or brain)?
    Why now do you assume 'a being'?
    Mara, have you grasped a view?
    This is a heap of sheer constructions:
    Here no being is found.

Just as, with an assemblage of parts,
    The word 'chariot' is used,
    So, when the aggregates are present,
    There's the convention 'a being.'

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn05/sn05.010.bodh.html
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran

I just want to confirm if was Wave-Duality Theory or maybe other that quantum science that you was talking about.

Sorry, yes that's what I assume mfranzdorf meant in my reply.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    pegembara said:

Where in the brain is the "person" located? Is it in the frontal, parietal, temporal or occipital lobe? Where is seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting, touching taking place?

Indeed.

http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2012/apr/10/mind-outside-head-consciousness/
    Y'know....sometimes I wish we didn't want to 'know' so much...... :(
    mfranzdorfDavid
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Daozen said:

Citta said:

So where is our mind? I would say brain is matter, mind is the process of brain. But 'mind' is a dreadfully vague term, which leads to all kinds of problems. 'Cognitive processes' might be better for what I mean.
    Mind IS a dreadfully vague term..you are right. But sometimes we have to assume a degree of acceptance of commonly used 'shorthand'.
    According to much current psychological theory ' mind' does not exist at all !
    Cognitive processes, together with feeling ( vedana ) and preception together make up the Abhidamma view of 'mind'...which is of course not an entity, but a process.