Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Noah Levine and Brad Warner

rivercanerivercane Veteran
edited July 2013 in Buddhism Today
For those of you who are familiar with these guys, how do you feel about Noah Levine and Brad Warner? This is something I've been wanting to ask for a long time but was hesitant for a few reasons. First, I guess I should admit that I liked Brad Warner at first after reading his book Hardcore Zen but grew to really dislike him. I followed his blog for awhile just to make fun of him and I even bought and read his book Zen Wrapped in Karma Dipped in Chocolate because I heard it was a train wreck and I wanted to laugh at him.

Pretty immature, and I feel like this was clearly a violation of the precepts on my part. I guess most of us have a celebrity or musician that we love to hate. There's something about him that really bothers me but I keep coming back for more. I stopped reading his blog for the most part but would like to check out his new book just to see how low he will go. To be fair, I heard that Sit Down and Shut Up was pretty good, which is why I had no interest in reading it. :rolleyes:

I've come to like Noah Levine even though I hated his first book, Dharma Punx. I thought it was dishonest, self-indulgent, and had very little to do with Buddhism. However, I have come to respect him and consider him a good teacher. Just like Zen Wrapped in Karma, I watched his documentary "Meditate and Destroy" just to make fun of it but wound up really liking it. I plan on watching it again and I think he is doing great work with prisoners and troubled youth. Although he comes across as a bit of a poser in my opinion I find that, unlike Brad Warner, he is very honest and a good teacher. I like his approach, even if some things about him still bother me, and would attend his sangha if I lived close enough.

I'm reading Against the Stream right now, mainly because it was free and I thought I would get a good laugh out of it but I have to admit that I'm really impressed. I still think he's a little dishonest about how bad off he was as far as being incarcerated, being a crack addict and so forth, and I feel that one should be honest about these kinds of things and not exaggerate. It's the whole "I was worse off then you" kind of thing. I noticed that some recovering addicts exaggerate about how bad off they were, kind of bragging in reverse, and I doubt that he was ever homeless although it seems that he tries to give that impression.

But hey, whatever, and like I was saying, I find that his second book is really very good. I'm not even halfway through and it's already given me a new perspective on the teachings and I could see where his work would really appeal to some and that he would be able to reach certain people who would be turned off by a more conventional teacher.

Whew! It actually feels really good to get that off my chest. Why I'm so concerned with these two teachers, I don't know. I guess it shows how neurotic I am! :lol:

So how do you guys feel about Brad or Noah Levine?

Comments

• CittaCitta Veteran
    I know little of Noah Levine...although I like his parents Steven and Ondrea a lot.
    Brad Warner gets my seal of approval..whether he wants it or not. ;)
    I think he is gutsy and honest. He never pretends to have inside knowledge about speculative states. I think he is a good bloke who makes 'spiritual ' life accessable to those who have no interest in religion...
    riverflowInvincible_summer
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    Citta said:

I know little of Noah Levine...although I like his parents Steven and Ondrea a lot.
    I think he is gutsy and honest. He never pretends to have inside knowledge about speculative states. I think he is a good bloke who makes 'spiritual ' life accessable to those who have no interest in religion...

A religious teacher for those who have no interest in religion, but at least he's honest!
    :p
  • robotrobot Veteran
    Nevermind said:

Citta said:

A religious teacher for those who have no interest in religion, but at least he's honest!
    Do you think that there is no spiritual life without religion?
    lobster
    robot said:

Nevermind said:

Citta said:

No, but last time I checked Brad Warner was a traditional Zen Buddhist priest and teaches Zen Buddhism. Am I missing something?
  • robotrobot Veteran
    Nevermind said:

robot said:

Nevermind said:

Citta said:

No, but last time I checked Brad Warner was a traditional Zen Buddhist priest and teaches Zen Buddhism. Am I missing something?
    His credentials aside, your implication seemed to be that there is something dishonest about his teaching to people who are not religious, like me.
    Perhaps I read sarcasm into your post that was not there.
    CittaChaz
    robot said:

Nevermind said:

robot said:

Nevermind said:

Citta said:

His credentials aside, your implication seemed to be that there is something dishonest about his teaching to people who are not religious, like me.
    Perhaps I read sarcasm into your post that was not there.
    If it's not too personal a question, what exactly is he teaching you?
  • Just wanted to clarify something: I didn't mean that I literally sat there and laughed at Brad Warner. It's just that I found his work to be a little cringe-worthy in places and I kind of enjoyed it in a way. That's still disrespectful though, and I shouldn't have done this.

I am impressed with anyone who can actually write a book and get it published though, and Brad has a ton of fans. He's brought a lot of people to the dharma and I was also a fan after reading his first book. I only started to dislike him a bit after learning more about him, and it was strictly for personal reasons.

I no longer make fun of Brad or Noah Levine and consider both to be true dharma teachers. I think my original post may have been a little mean-spirited.
    riverflowlobster
  • rivercane said:

I think my original post may have been a little mean-spirited.

It may (or may not have) sounded a little mean-spirited, perhaps (I would like to make that distinction, at any rate).

I don't know Levine, but I lean toward Soto Zen, so I've read Warner (strictly his blog, not his books) and I've seen a few videos. His style doesn't always appeal to me personally, but I like him nevertheless. I think his teaching comes from a genuine place, and he expresses it from his own experience.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    I don't think you have anything to apologise for @rivercane. As I said, I know nothing of Noah Levine apart from having great admiration for the work his parents have done over decades, with the dying..
    But I am quite sure that Warner would be quite Ok with you expressing your honest feelings.
    riverflow
  • I have read all of Brad Warners books as well as many other buddhist or spiritually related books. For me, it's about keeping an open mind no matter the author. Reading without judgement or without prejudice. For me, there are teachings in all that I encounter; specially in what emotions arise from what I read or what I observe.

I may not resonate with certain authors, writing styles or personalities and that is okay...

riverflowInvincible_summer
    edited July 2013
    Citta said:

I am quite sure that Warner would be quite Ok with you expressing your honest feelings.

Some Zen people are like that, their self-image dictates that they must 'be above it all' or whatever. Eventually they have to insulate themselves in order to maintain the illusion.

Not to suggest this has anything to do with Mr. Warner. He's quite reactive and doesn't insulate himself, as is the case with most people.
    edited July 2013
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    One thing I like about Noah Levine's Buddhist groups is that they're very clear about misconduct, and have guidelines stated up front about that. He learned that from his dad, who was involved with Jack Kornfield, who was one of the people who spearheaded a visit of Western Dharma leaders with the Dalai Lama on that topic. They've been pretty pro-active on that front.

Some have posted here in the past that Noah runs his Buddhist groups like a 12-step program, almost like a commercially-packaged product. I don't know enough about it, but if that's what it takes to reach the prison population and substance abusers, maybe it's a good thing. It seems like he's adapted Buddhism to specific contemporary contexts, and is doing some innovative stuff. Whenever someone does that, it's bound to rub someone else the wrong way. But if he's truly helping people, and isn't going around collecting Rolls Royce's and women, if he's not using, exploiting or harming people, then -- more power to him.
    Vastmindriverflow
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I really like Brad Warner. He really cuts through the stereotypes that surround Zen and presents it in a very "no-BS" way. He breaks down the perceptions people may have about Zen Buddhism and Zen monks.
    riverflow
  • DakiniDakini Veteran

I really like Brad Warner. He really cuts through the stereotypes that surround Zen and presents it in a very "no-BS" way. He breaks down the perceptions people may have about Zen Buddhism and Zen monks.

This sounds interesting. Thanks for posting, I think I'll check out his blog that the OP mentions. :thumbsup:

Invincible_summer
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Can I judge someone please?
    Me?
    What a disgrace! Laughable!

Maybe I need some zen?
    Sounds a little . . . [insert judgement]
    :buck:
    riverflowrivercane