Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

how to make worldly life spiritual? please suggest.

misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a HinduIndia Veteran
edited August 2013 in Buddhism Today
hi all,

i have read at many places, where it is said that - the worldly life and spiritual life are not two totally different paths, rather life is a practice as Zen says every moment of life is a practice - so in a way, whether it is a family layman life or a monk's life, no difference, as the practice comes down to moment by moment. But practically speaking, do you all think it is really possible to make the worldly life as a spiritual life. Zen says - i think Dogen said - both Samsara and Nirvana are in here and now and it is not that we move from Samsara to Nirvana, rather enlightenment is practice which continues through out life.

on a practical world situation, what i have found in my family life over the last few years is that - there is always some problem to fix in the house, always something to buy from the market, always something in the office to think about may be it is the current work's result, trying to avoid some work(which may come to me), trying to figure out the next set of activities in the work and also to figure out many parallel going current activities having dependencies on other people to get completed. so a feeling comes to my mind usually these days that it seems to me that i am wasting my time in these activities, but still i need to do these activities to take care of my family and to take care of my job - but a thought arises that if i die say tonight, then what is the use of these activities which i am doing now. i have been studying spirituality for nearly 2 years now - started with Lord Krishna's teachings in Shreemad Bhagwad Geeta and after that studied Buddha's teachings. my mindfulness is so weak that almost a whole day goes, then at the end of the day sometimes i remember i should try to be in here and now, try to feel my breath - but by that time almost the whole day has passed by.

i am not able to find the balance between worldly way and spiritual way in my life.

so any suggestions, please. how do you make your worldly life spiritual, how long have you been practicing spirituality, leaving aside what the different religions say - based on your experience, what would you say regarding the question - is it really possible to make worldly life a completely spiritual life? please suggest. thanks in advance.

Comments

• its not worldly life, spiritual life, work life, family life....
    Its your life...
    make of it what you will
    be a god, be a servant, be a worker, be a householder, be a monk, be a fixer...
    just be a doobe

sorry, probably not helpful...but couldn't help myself
    riverflowmisecmisc1
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran

hi all,

...My mindfulness is so weak that almost a whole day goes, then at the end of the day sometimes i remember i should try to be in here and now, try to feel my breath - but by that time almost the whole day has passed by.

i am not able to find the balance between worldly way and spiritual way in my life.

You seem to answer your own question here @misemisc1. Mindfulness would be the key. Mindfulnesss would be a precondition for the spiritual life. There is a story about St. Anthony, that he spent one night being attacked by a thousand snakes, pushed and shoved, tossed in the air and rolled around in the sand, and never once did it disturb his state of mind. This is mindfulness. Fixing things in the house and buying at the market would be a doddle by comparison.

Of course, it's one thing to say this and quite another to do it. I expect most people here would admit that they cannot maintain their ideal state of mind 24/7. It would take a great deal of commitment, skill and practice.

You may find the the methods of Gurdjieff interesting for maintaining a calm and stable centre amidst the madness of life. He is often dismissed as a fool, but I think he is much misunderstood.
    riverflowmisecmisc1
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    Cinorjer said:

I would suggest instead of mindfulness, try a Metta practice for a while. Instead of trying to be mindful which tends to draw the mind inward to focus on yourself, treat every encounter with another being as an opportunity to help someone. Focus on them. You said yourself "i need to do these activities to take care of my family and to take care of my job" so go with that.

Metta means giving of your time and attention to everyone you meet, from the guy at work making your job harder to the woman with aching feet standing at the checkout counter of the gas station. You will find your day filled with opportunities to help other people, even if it's just a smile and a few kind words out of your busy schedule.

You'll find as you pay attention to other people, you think less about yourself. Strangely, if done right this helps you as much as it helps others. Eventually, you discover the distinction between you and other beings is not such a hard line.

Hope this helps.

Ah yes. I was assuming that all this is part of mindfulness.

riverflowkarmablues
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    How many minds do we have ? :)
  • Florian said:

Cinorjer said:

I would suggest instead of mindfulness, try a Metta practice for a while. Instead of trying to be mindful which tends to draw the mind inward to focus on yourself, treat every encounter with another being as an opportunity to help someone. Focus on them. You said yourself "i need to do these activities to take care of my family and to take care of my job" so go with that.

Metta means giving of your time and attention to everyone you meet, from the guy at work making your job harder to the woman with aching feet standing at the checkout counter of the gas station. You will find your day filled with opportunities to help other people, even if it's just a smile and a few kind words out of your busy schedule.

You'll find as you pay attention to other people, you think less about yourself. Strangely, if done right this helps you as much as it helps others. Eventually, you discover the distinction between you and other beings is not such a hard line.

Hope this helps.

Ah yes. I was assuming that all this is part of mindfulness.

It's a form of mindfulness practice, certainly. We are trained and inclined to see the people we meet as objects, to a great extent. People are seen as obstacles in our way (boss or landlord or beggar you have to walk past), or an object that performs a service for us (waiter, cashier, sometimes even wife) and forcing our minds to be mindful that these are fellow human beings that we can identify with promotes compassion.
    riverflowmisecmisc1Jeffreykarmablues
  • Cinorjer said:

It's a form of mindfulness practice, certainly. We are trained and inclined to see the people we meet as objects, to a great extent. People are seen as obstacles in our way (boss or landlord or beggar you have to walk past), or an object that performs a service for us (waiter, cashier, sometimes even wife) and forcing our minds to be mindful that these are fellow human beings that we can identify with promotes compassion.

--Or what Martin Buber calls the difference between an I-It relation and and I-Thou relation, in his book I and Thou.
    CinorjerFlorian
  • ZeroZero Veteran

...so a feeling comes to my mind usually these days that it seems to me that i am wasting my time in these activities, but still i need to do these activities to take care of my family and to take care of my job - but a thought arises that if i die say tonight, then what is the use of these activities which i am doing now.

It doesn't sound like you value how you spend your time prefering to almost blame your family for your obligations.
    If you die tonight - the use of the activities you undertook would be the same as if you didn't die tonight.

Unless what you are saying is that if you knew you would die next week, you would abandon your current life in favour of another life which you are not going for now as you may not die so soon and if you don't then the life you have now is the best of the compromises - seems quite a selfish way to consider the issue.
    I'm not sure that you are able to reconcile the positions as it seems that you are leaning on one to escape the other... but what are you running from and where are you running to?
    MaryAnneriverflowmisecmisc1
  • "Monks, these eight worldly conditions spin after the world, and the world spins after these eight worldly conditions. Which eight? Gain, loss, status, disgrace, censure, praise, pleasure, & pain. These are the eight worldly conditions that spin after the world, and the world spins after these eight worldly conditions.

"For an uninstructed run-of-the-mill person there arise gain, loss, status, disgrace, censure, praise, pleasure, & pain. For a well-instructed disciple of the noble ones there also arise gain, loss, status, disgrace, censure, praise, pleasure, & pain. So what difference, what distinction, what distinguishing factor is there between the well-instructed disciple of the noble ones and the uninstructed run-of-the-mill person?"

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an08/an08.006.than.html
    misecmisc1
  • Practicing the 5 precepts and meditation. Reducing our greed, hatred, and delusions. Beyond this would be to ordain I believe.
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    hi all,
    thanks for all your insightful replies.
    Zero said:

I'm not sure that you are able to reconcile the positions as it seems that you are leaning on one to escape the other... but what are you running from and where are you running to?

it seems to me that what you have said above is the same thing which i am trying to do - i.e. trying to cowardly escape from the worldly family life, selfishly trying to blame my family in my mind for not letting me progress on spiritual path, even though it was my decision to get married to my wife but at that time i was not aware about spirituality - after my daughter became 2 months old, i struck sprituality - so may be i have some kind of backlog karma leading to such weirdness in my life. now having studied spirituality for about 2 years now, it seems to me that whatever we do in this world is ultimately useless, as whatever arises, stays for a while and then ceases - so what is the point of taking so much tension of trying to figure out the ways to get things fixed in house, to strive hard to get promotion in job, trying to make things safe for future though not able to do it as future is uncertain.

what i am finding in my life is - there is always some activity which needs to be done. this is not to say that when i am in weekend and somehow i try to do nothing on a weekend, then i am mindful in the weekend - this is not the case either - but a thought comes to my mind that if there were less things to figure out, then i will get some more time, then i can try to be mindful of my activities. may be this is just prapancha of my mind and may be even if i have to do no activities in a day, then also i may not be mindful of my bodily sensations or my breath. it seems that i am trying to run from my family situation to a situation where i am having less things to figure out, but this does not mean i am thinking of leaving my family, i will take care of my family, but something inside me keeps on saying to me that i am wasting my life, as through out the day, there is some activity which needs to be figured out or to be done and my mind gets totally entangled in these activities and sometimes the whole day passes and i do not remember that i should try to be mindful of my activities.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Mindfulness is just a tool, it is not the end solution to every problem. And also, it is just one thing of the many. There are many other things you can practice, like: compassion, kindness, generosity, virtue, restraint, being of service to others.

And when you have to be mindful is not always during every activity. It is mainly useful to be mindful of the arising of unwholesome states, such as aversion. Because that's when you can really learn. If you see arising aversion to your family, or your life, don't feed it. Instead try to let it go, or turn it around even. Or, mindfulness when you are about to break a precept, when you are on the edge of lying.

Mindfulness or "sati" literally means recollection, so it asks us to recollect our precepts and our intentions to be kind/generous/etc. You can make a resolution to yourself to be mindful of these things, instead of trying to be mindful of everything all the time. This is much easier to do in lay life and also much more fruitful.

This is how I initially did it and it is a good basis to expand upon later.

Hope it helps,
    Sabre
    misecmisc1
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2013
    That aside, part of the practice is learning to accept our surroundings and position in life. If that is a bit of a cluttered life as a lay person, so be it. And also if that is a monk's or nun's life, so be it. Some monks and nuns travel from place to place never satisfied with the current monastery. They may be ordained and have a lot of time to practice, but they have learned nothing. Many end up disrobing at the end. But you can learn what they didn't, which is to be contented with whatever life brings. As I said before, problems are in the mind, not outside of it.
    riverflowmisecmisc1
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Yes, it's really possible because you only have one life. Monks have a lot of things to do these days too. Taking care of a monastery is a lot of work! Always some cleaning to do. Always something to fix. Always something tedious to do.

Reminds me of a time when I was sitting outside the zen center after a meditation retreat. My teacher, who is an ordained zen master monk, came out to one of the cars and was fiddling around with the license plate. I went over and asked him what he was doing. He said the car got a new license plate so he was trying to put it on the car. But, when someone took the old one off, they threw away the screws! So he couldn't put the new one on. So now he had to go and drive to the store just to get 2 little screws to put the license plate on the car, even though he had a bunch of other stuff to do. Then he turned to me and said "Always something to do!" So I said to him "Always something to do yea? So let me ask you this. There is always something to do, so is that good or is that bad?" He turned to me, smiled and then laughed and said "None of the above". :)

But practically speaking. If you really want to have worldly layperson life and spiritual life become one, you have to have a strong daily meditation practice. It's the only way.
    misecmisc1
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    How many minds do we have ? :)
    Sabre said:

Mindfulness is just a tool, it is not the end solution to every problem. And also, it is just one thing of the many. There are many other things you can practice, like: compassion, kindness, generosity, virtue, restraint, being of service to others.

And when you have to be mindful is not always during every activity. It is mainly useful to be mindful of the arising of unwholesome states, such as aversion. Because that's when you can really learn. If you see arising aversion to your family, or your life, don't feed it. Instead try to let it go, or turn it around even. Or, mindfulness when you are about to break a precept, when you are on the edge of lying.

Mindfulness or "sati" literally means recollection, so it asks us to recollect our precepts and our intentions to be kind/generous/etc. You can make a resolution to yourself to be mindful of these things, instead of trying to be mindful of everything all the time. This is much easier to do in lay life and also much more fruitful.

This is how I initially did it and it is a good basis to expand upon later.

Hope it helps,
    Sabre

Sorry, I am going to disagree completely.
    Mindfulness is an essential foundation for ALL behaviour. Compassion , kindness, and generosity without mindfulness can easily lapse into sentimentality and an over-identifying with those who are on the receiving end of our compassion etc.
    Mindfulness is a mindset..not a series of feelings. It is a mindset characterised by awareness and centredness which should precede ALL actions..
    Sati does indeed mean 'recollection' ..but not in the sense of memory or recalling actions. Not even good intentions or 'good' actions
    It means to re-collect. To collect our scattered selves To become one pointed. To become focused and aware of ourselves. This is often achieved via the breath or by 'scanning' our physical processes in order to bring ourselves into the present..which is the only place where identification with passing states can be seen, and most importantly, seen as not -self.
    misecmisc1riverflow
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Thanissaro Bhikkhu translates 'sati' as 'non responsive awareness '. Of simply being in the present moment. This translation fits both a Theravadin view and also the Non Dual traditions like Dzogchen and Maha-ati.
    riverflow
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    Nowadays mindfulness seems to be understood mainly as some continuous awareness or a specific mindset. But if you look at the suttas, the Buddha spoke about mindfulness with regards to things, for example: mindfulness of death, mindfulness of dhamma, of hindrances to awakening - like aversion that I mentioned. So mindfulness is with respect to something and that something doesn't even have to be in the present moment (death as a clear example).

So the question is, what is the right thing for us to be mindful of? If misecmisc has a feeling he is blaming his family of him not being able to practice (which is a form of aversion), I'd say that is the first thing to address. Worry about all-day mindfulness later.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2013
    seeker242 said:

Yes, it's really possible because you only have one life. Monks have a lot of things to do these days too. Taking care of a monastery is a lot of work! Always some cleaning to do. Always something to fix. Always something tedious to do.

Good thing.

When I was living in a monastery virtually every day had cooking, fixing things, cleaning, gardening. And the monks also had planning of trips, building activities, guests housing etc. This is all part of life. Degrees may vary but in the end everybody has to come and accept it in a same way - lay or ordained - with family or single. The funny thing is, when there I sometimes also thought: "I dont want another job to do, I want to practice".. luckily I already knew it's exactly that attitude that has to be under the attention of practice, and not the jobs themself.

When I left they thanked me for all the work I did and reflecting upon it now I it makes me more happy than when I would have meditated all the time. (which I still did a lot and agree is also essential in lay life) Dana, the act of doing something for others, is an important part of the path.
    riverflowmisecmisc1Cinorjer
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    I think we are using the term in at least two ways. You have referred to 'mindfulness ' as a tool.
    And to be sure there are a number of techniques which deploy the term in specific ways...anapanasati for example..and by extension the whole corpus that has developed around vipassana..
    But there is another useage frequently encountered in the Suttas ,and more developed in the Mahayana ,which is to do with a mindset of relaxed awareness which is cultivated in all situations and which is even achievable in dream states. The Buddha uses various metaphors to describe this mindset..all have to do with sobriety and awareness.
    The right thing for us to be mindful of primarily is our physical and psychological being, in the present. Our relationship to that which arises, whether positive or negative is secondary.

So in the specific case that misecmisc has presented, instead of firefighting the causes of attraction and/or aversion on a case by case basis ( we will in the normal way never run out of causes for aversion/attraction ) in my view he should instead turn his attention to his self sense and where that comes into being. That is the root of the tree.
    Will and intention are limited until the arising of prajna/panna. With that arising, aversion and attraction retires of itself .
    misecmisc1
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Citta said:

Thanissaro Bhikkhu translates 'sati' as 'non responsive awareness '. Of simply being in the present moment. This translation fits both a Theravadin view and also the Non Dual traditions like Dzogchen and Maha-ati.

Non responsive even. Are you sure? In general don't hold the interpretations of venerable Thanissaro in very high regard to be honest, but I think he with his knowledge of the suttas would also acknowledge that mindfulness is not non responsive.
    “Suppose, bhikkhus, a wise, competent, skilful cook were to present a king or a royal minister with various kinds of curries: sour, bitter, pungent, sweet, sharp, mild, salty, bland.

“That wise, competent, skilful cook picks up the sign of his own master’s preference: ‘Today this curry pleased my master … or he spoke in praise of the bland one.’

So too, bhikkhus, here some wise, competent, skilful bhikkhu dwells contemplating
    [the 4 focusses of mindfulness]

http://palicanon.org/index.php/sutta-pitaka/samyutta-nikaya/part-v-the-great-book/804-sn-chapter-iii-47-satipa-hanasa-yuttaconnected-discourses-on-the-establishments-of-mindfulness
    I would say it is mindfulness that allows us to respond skillfully to things, with right effort, and pick up the right thing to be mindful of also.

However, @misecmisc1 please let us know if you think this conversation is useful for you or not. I don't want to clutter up your topic.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited July 2013
    I would suggest again that you are confusing two different uses of the term 'mindfulness'. You are emphasing its use in pointing out a skillful or wholesome action dependant on intention.
    But there is a use of the term which points to a mindset which is a priori to all action and even to intention. It is a state of re-collectedness, of awareness prior to activity and even to thought.
    I am sorry that Thanissaro Bhikkhu is not to your taste, but I assure you that I was quoting him verbatim
    Mindfulness is frequently non-responsive. It is to remain for the duration in a state of neither aversion nor attraction. Instead the attention remains with the self sense as experienced physically or psychologically.
    Mindfulness adopts the witness posture. Mindfulness IS the witness that stands at the centre of the arising kandhas/skandhas..In both the waking and sleeping states.

However I think we are reaching the limits of what is possible on a multi-schooled forum.
    Because I think we have moved into that which represents the most major of the differences between the Theravada and the Mahayana.
    To whit Mindfulness as cultivation, and Mindfulness as the actualisation of what is always already the case.

_/\_
    Sabre said:

However, @misecmisc1 please let us know if you think this conversation is useful for you or not. I don't want to clutter up your topic.

seems like a good discussion going on. please continue.

my theoretical understanding says: mindfulness or sati means recollection or keeping in mind something. so mindfulness of breathing means to remember to keep breath in mind. another term is sampajanna or awareness. so i think sampajanna notes that in the current moment, a breath is going inside the body and sati is the faculty which reminds us when we get entangled in a thought that we have to be aware of breath, so sati remembers that we have to observe the breath.

please rectify the above if my understanding is not correct above. thanks in advance.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2013

Sabre said:

seems like a good discussion going on. please continue.

my theoretical understanding says: mindfulness or sati means recollection or keeping in mind something. so mindfulness of breathing means to remember to keep breath in mind. another term is sampajanna or awareness. so i think sampajanna notes that in the current moment, a breath is going inside the body and sati is the faculty which reminds us when we get entangled in a thought that we have to be aware of breath, so sati remembers that we have to observe the breath.

please rectify the above if my understanding is not correct above. thanks in advance.
    That roughly corresponds with my understanding although sampajanna I would say is more a general awareness of our actions (and knowing why we do them, with which intentions and to what goal), and mindfulness is more focused on particular subject. Like, for example the breath indeed.

But when the suttas speak of breath mindfulness, they speak of it after sitting down in a quiet place. So this practice of mindfulness is not something you do all day during all tasks. The main purpose of mindfulness is to develop the 8th factor of the path, tranquility (or "concentration"), which is something the Buddha himself seemingly also had to sit/lie down for. This tranquility is the mind becoming one pointed, so it can't really both be working on a job AND be mindful like this.

I say this because the very struggle to try and do it anyway, may be leading to more problems than it's worth. For me it was more fruitful to focus upon what the mind does during our jobs. Does it go to aversion? Does it go to craving? Does it want to break a precept? And then try to not feed the unskillful way of thinking, and instead invest in the skillful ways. In a way it is more easy to notice also, because the mind and thoughts are always there in front of you, while the breath can be hiding very subtle and is easy to miss.

This practice of looking at the thoughts and transforming them is also what the Buddha did for a time before his awakening. If you are interested you can find it in the suttas MN 19 and 20 if that says anything to you. (Otherwise I will find links and post here). Only when he sat down under a tree did he focus on his breath and enter the one pointedness of mind.

Hope this can provide you some alternate way of looking at things that hopefully is easier to integrate in your life.

Don't forget, however, that the key is to stay kind to yourself. When slowly changing your thought pattern, the mind may resist, and try to throw up all kinds of stuff even worse than before. Remember, this is not you, this is just a process. No need to get angry with it, no need to struggle. When one of my favorite monks asked me how I was doing, I said: "It's going well, but sometimes it's hard". His response was "good, that's the way it is intended".
    misecmisc1
  • You're not just peeling carrots- you hold in your hand the sunshine, the rain, the clouds, the winds, the soil, the nutrients, the days, the nights, the seasons, the lives of the people who brought it to you (farmer, trucker, packager, etc.).
    Who'da thunk a little orange root could be such a dharma teacher?
    riverflowmisecmisc1misterCope
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Citta said:

I would suggest again that you are confusing two different uses of the term 'mindfulness'. You are emphasing its use in pointing out a skillful or wholesome action dependant on intention.
    But there is a use of the term which points to a mindset which is a priori to all action and even to intention. It is a state of re-collectedness, of awareness prior to activity and even to thought.
    I am sorry that Thanissaro Bhikkhu is not to your taste, but I assure you that I was quoting him verbatim
    Mindfulness is frequently non-responsive. It is to remain for the duration in a state of neither aversion nor attraction. Instead the attention remains with the self sense as experienced physically or psychologically.
    Mindfulness adopts the witness posture. Mindfulness IS the witness that stands at the centre of the arising kandhas/skandhas..In both the waking and sleeping states.

However I think we are reaching the limits of what is possible on a multi-schooled forum.
    Because I think we have moved into that which represents the most major of the differences between the Theravada and the Mahayana.
    To whit Mindfulness as cultivation, and Mindfulness as the actualisation of what is always already the case.

_/\_

I'm sorry, I was aware of multiple interpretations of mindfulness, but not of this twofold division. As you said, it is mainly developed in Mahayana, of which I don't know too much. My intention was not to mix up these teachings or anything. I only wanted to share my point of view. And in that point of view mindfulness is simply one factor of the eightfold path, and not a "self" mindfulness apart from the kandhas.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Which leaves misecmisc in the happy position of knowing that there are at least two ways to address such issues according to Buddhist teachings. One is to consider carefully all actions and intentions and then to act accordingly. The second and more Mahayana position is to turn the focus toward the actor to see how the self sense arises and its limitations. Which in turn leads to functioning from a different platform, a different perspective.
    Sabre
  • ...trying to cowardly escape from the worldly family life, selfishly trying to blame my family in my mind for not letting me progress on spiritual path, even though it was my decision to get married to my wife but at that time i was not aware about spirituality

We do have a measure of freedom here in the present moment. There may be some restrictions that come from past karma, but you can learn to work around them. This is a principle that applies across the board in the practice, not just while you're sitting here meditating, but in your activities throughout daily life. You find yourself running up against difficulties that, no matter how skillfully you try to respond to them, are still there. You have the choice of focusing on the difficulties to the point where you can't do anything about them, and get more and more entrapped and frustrated by them. Or if you try to ignore them and pretend they're not there, that doesn't work either. So you've got to find another approach. And fortunately, the best approach is always possible.

The present moment is a limited moment but it does have its openings. It does have its potentials. The wise approach is to admit the limitations but also to want to explore the potentials for what's skillful. If you have certain responsibilities, learn how to carry them out but at the same time, you're working on the qualities of the mind. That's what the Buddhist teachings about the paramis or the perfections are all about. Even as you go through your everyday responsibilities, you have the opportunity to develop good qualities of mind — patience, persistence, determination, truthfulness.

The Limits of Old Kamma

misecmisc1
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    edited July 2013

it seems to me that what you have said above is the same thing which i am trying to do - i.e. trying to cowardly escape from the worldly family life, selfishly trying to blame my family in my mind for not letting me progress on spiritual path

Do they deserve the blame? Should there be blame?

now having studied spirituality for about 2 years now, it seems to me that whatever we do in this world is ultimately useless, as whatever arises, stays for a while and then ceases -
    so what is the point of taking so much tension of trying to figure out the ways to get things fixed in house, to strive hard to get promotion in job, trying to make things safe for future though not able to do it as future is uncertain.

Where you say, "it seems to me" - this is the conclusion - the fiction to deal with the reality presented to you - it is likely correct that one is unable to consciously assimilate anything more than a fraction of the variable at play (e.g. I have no idea where mars is in it's orbit right now or whether this would have any bearing on whether my toast will land butter up or down)...
    So with such a limited view, how is it possible with certainty to conclude and fix upon such conclusions?
    Lack of knowledge is ignorance.
    Attaching to ignorance brings confusion.
    Attaching to confusion brings fear.
    Residing in these states is rarely satisfactory.

Whatever we do in this world is the natural expression of our existence - it is as useless as the earth revolving around the sun...

I agree with avoiding tension - so just fix the house and enjoy, just be the best you can be at your job, take all your part in your secure present.

it seems that i am trying to run from my family situation to a situation where i am having less things to figure out,

but this does not mean i am thinking of leaving my family, i will take care of my family, but something inside me keeps on saying to me that i am wasting my life,
    as through out the day, there is some activity which needs to be figured out or to be done and my mind gets totally entangled in these activities and sometimes the whole day passes and i do not remember that i should try to be mindful of my activities.

If it is useless then what is there to waste?
    Examine carefully why you're trying to run from your family situation - what you think you're running from and what you're running to.

Your family is a unit - taking care of it involves taking care of you also - in this regard we all reap what is sown.
    misecmisc1
  • Actually your family environment can be a good teaching situation. Anytime you feel that you have suffering, that is where you look and see what is the cause. The Dhamma is not only to be found in monastic life. The Dhamma is to be found everywhere - especially in the midst of pain and suffering.
    riverflowmisecmisc1MaryAnneJeffrey
  • misterCopemisterCope PA, USA Veteran
    If you are trying to introduce more mindfulness into your life, perhaps you should start small? Like washing the dishes. Every time you wash the dishes, feel the warm water, focus on the texture of the sponge, the scent of the soap. Carefully note the transformation occurring at your fingertips: dirty plate...clean plate, dirty cup...clean cup. Take your time and pay attention. Then the mindfulness will leak into the next thing you do a little bit. Then maybe choose another "chore." Mindful shopping? Mindful light bulb replacement? Mindful playing with your child?

Just a suggestion! _/\_
    Jeffreymisecmisc1
    hi all,

thanks for all your replies.

one more question - how do you all find balance between striving too hard and striving too little for getting an activity done - not daily household activities, but activities like promotion at office, getting a good work task at office etc. please suggest. thanks in advance.
  • If the activity leads to your long term benefit, do it if not don't.

You don't want to to striving so hard at the office that you forget to take care of your health. You may end up spending have your life earning enough to pay for the medical expenses for the remaining half.

On the other hand, if you slack too much- you may not have enough for your retirement.

The strings of a violin should neither be to tight or too lax in order for it to produce beautiful sounds.
    Jeffreymisecmisc1misterCope
  • Just be mindful of our everyday life, mindful that we are living in an impermanent world, and having to go through all the motions of living whether we like it or not, and above it trying to improve on it to make it meaningful even though we may not leave much marks on it and would be forgotten when we leave. Just that we have to remain true to ourselves.
    misecmisc1