Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

National exceptionalism

2»

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I'm not sure that our ability to rally to help our neighbors is an American trait only though. I think it's largely human nature for people wanting to help others, to rescue and such during natural disasters. Examples of neighbors helping neighbors abound almost any time you see a disaster, anywhere. As Mr Rogers said, "when you see a disaster, always look for the helpers. There are always helpers." And there are. I always find it interesting that no matter the place, no matter the disaster, the area that is experiencing it seems to think the people there are the best of anywhere because they pull together. It's great to have that sense of community, absolutely. But it's not specific/exclusive to Colorado or California or New York City. New Yorkers aren't the best. Coloradans aren't the best. Humanity is just the best. And the craziest because we get along best when we're experiencing horrific tragedies. But perhaps that is when it matters most.
    Chaz
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    edited September 2013
    karasti said:

I'm not sure that our ability to rally to help our neighbors is an American trait only though. I think it's largely human nature for people wanting to help others, to rescue and such during natural disasters.

I know what you're saying, but the hopelessly cynical part of me thinks that much of the the time humans (in the US anyway) are a bunch of selfish pricks most of the time, and demonstrate humanity when it seems fashionable to be so.
    Examples of neighbors helping neighbors abound almost any time you see a disaster, anywhere. As Mr Rogers said, "when you see a disaster, always look for the helpers. There are always helpers." And there are.
    Quite right. Grassroots aid and support efforts are already ramping up in Boulder and I expect the same to happen For Estes Park and towns downriver on the South Platte.
    I always find it interesting that no matter the place, no matter the disaster, the area that is experiencing it seems to think the people there are the best of anywhere because they pull together. It's great to have that sense of community, absolutely.

So true.
    But it's not specific/exclusive to Colorado or California or New York City. New Yorkers aren't the best. Coloradans aren't the best. Humanity is just the best. And the craziest because we get along best when we're experiencing horrific tragedies. But perhaps that is when it matters most.
    Yes, but I think every day matters most. In a month, when there are no more disasters to occupy our minds, we could easily swing back to not caring about the little disasters going on all the time - children going to bed hungry, homeless people sleeping in the snow .....

BUT on the bright side, it does the heart good to see things happening in CO.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I've seen people do amazing things when no one was looking, enough times that I don't think they do it for attention or anything else. I'm sure some do, but I think most are operating on a level we go to when we need to for strict survival in helping others. People will often tell you "I didn't even think of it. I just did it. Anyone would do it." and I think that's largely true. You help because you are driven to help, often in ways you could never have seen yourself helping just a day before.

I agree, every day matters even more, and it's always sad to see people so focused on being together just as human beings, and then short time later, they are hating each other again, when they could continue their good deeds by carrying them on to food shelves and homeless shelters and so on.