Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mullah nasruddin Rocks my socks!!

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
edited June 2005 in General Banter
Check this wise but foolish sage out!
For those who don't know him, he is referred to as very stupid, but also as the possessor of great wisdom. Sometimes he is seen as a symbol of the human mind. Sufis use the stories in a similar way the Zen tradition uses koans.
So here we go on a journey into madness/insanity/buffoonery and natural wisdom...
Ladies and gentlemen - I give you the incomparable Mulla Nasruddin...!

Nasruddin was carrying home some liver which he had just bought. In the other hand he had a recipe for liver pie which a friend had given him.
Suddenly a buzzard swooped down and carried off the liver.
" You fool", shouted Nasruddin, " the meat you have-but I still have the recipe"!!!!!

While on a trip to another village, Nasruddin lost his favorite copy of the Quran.
Several weeks later, a goat walked up to Nasruddin, carrying the Quran in its mouth.
Nasruddin couldn't believe his eyes. He took the precious book out of the goat's mouth,
raised his eyes heavenward and exclaimed, "It's a miracle!"
"Not really," said the goat. "Your name is written inside the cover."

A neighbour comes to Nasruddin to ask a favour.
"Would you lend me your donkey today, nasruddin?" the neighbour asks, "I have goods to transport to the next town."
nasruddin answers: "I'm sorry, but I've already lent her to somebody else."
Suddenly the donkey is heard braying loudly behind a wall.
"You lied to me, nasruddin!" the neighbour exclaims, "There is the donkey!"
"What do you mean?" he replies indignantly, "Whom would you rather believe, a donkey or Nasruddin?"

Once a renowned philosopher and moralist was traveling through Nasruddin's village and asked Nasruddin where there was a good place to eat. Nasruddin suggested a place and the scholar, hungry for conversation, invited Mullah Nasruddin to join him. Much obliged, Mullah Nasruddin accompanied the scholar to a nearby restaurant, where they asked the waiter about the special of the day.
"Fish! Fresh Fish!" replied the waiter.
"Bring us two," they requested.
A few minutes later, the waiter brought out a large platter with two cooked fish on it, one of which was quite a bit smaller than the other. Without hesitating, Mullah Nasruddin took the larger of the fish and put in on his plate. The scholar, giving Mullah Nasruddin a look of intense disbelief, proceed to tell him that what he did was not only blatantly selfish, but that it violated the principles of almost every known moral, religious, and ethical system. Mullah Nasruddin listened to the philosopher's extempore lecture patiently, and when he had finally exhausted his resources, Mullah Nasruddin said, "Well, Sir, what would you have done?""I, being a conscientious human, would have taken the smaller fish for myself.""And here you are," Mullah Nasruddin said, and placed the smaller fish on the gentleman's plate.

One hot day, Nasruddin was taking it easy in the shade of a walnut tree. After a time, he started eying speculatively, the huge pumpkins growing on vines and the small walnuts growing on a majestic tree.
- "Sometimes I just can't understand the ways of God! "he mused. "Just
fancy letting tiny walnuts grow on so majestic a tree and huge pumpkins on the delicate vines!"
Just then a walnut snapped off and fell smack on Mullah Nasruddin's bald head. He got up at once and lifting up his hands and face to heavens in supplication, said:
- "Oh, my God! Forgive my questioning your ways! You are all-wise. Where would I have been now, if pumpkins grew on trees?!"

At a gathering where Mullah Nasruddin was present, people were discussing the merits of youth and old age. They had all agreed that, a man's strength decreases as years go by, but Mullah Nasruddin dissented.
- "I don't agree with you gentlemen," he said. "In my old age I have the same strength as I had in the prime of my youth."
- "How do you mean, Mullah Nasruddin?" asked somebody. "Explain yourself."
- "In my courtyard, explained Mullah Nasruddin, "there is a massive stone. In my youth I used to try and lift it. I never succeeded." And now that I am old, I still can't lift it."

Mullah Nasruddin was in a bar discussing the merits of the sun and the moon with his friends.
-"I tell you, the Moon is far more useful than the Sun!" he insisted.
"How so, Mullah Nasruddin? pray tell us!"
-"Well it's much darker at night, so the Moon is obviously more useful!"

"Nasruddin why is it people laugh at you?"
"Well," said Nasruddin, "Think of me as a turban.
The nature of laughter exposes the false. If
people laughed at themselves they would
feel naked. Therefore I provide them with a
'head covering'."
"But Nasruddin, they would still be naked!"

"Shhhhh," said Nasrudin smiling . . .

Comments

• edited June 2005
    WHAT FOR IS A KOAN, SIR?
    Yesterday afternoon, a gentleman paid a visit to the deluded old man. After saluting to each other and just before sipping the first cup of green tea, the gentleman asked a question like this:
    - What is a koan and what for is it, sir?
    - It is like a candy handed out to make a baby who is crying to stop it.
    - Then what for is it after the baby aready stops crying?
    - Just put it aside.
    - And what would you tell the baby when he is no longer crying?
    - Just tell him do not get hurt and cry again.
    - That's wonderful, sir!
    - You are a crying baby, aren't you?

ChonTri

thank you federica, those might remind us (me!) not to take ourselves to seriously. its all serious to me at times. have a great moment.

^gassho^