Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dealing with the nonself

Pollyanna83Pollyanna83 Explorer
edited October 2013 in Philosophy
After years of meditation, I've come to a place of struggling with my own identity. Does this come along with a change of awareness and perception? How can I find a place to rest in within myself while struggling to understand who I am and where I come from?
lobster

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    The very essence of identity is actually an expression of an adversarial struggle.
    Meditation is the slowly unfolding lesson that this struggle was , is and always will be, just a dream to wake up from..
    riverflowInvincible_summerlamaramadingdong
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited October 2013

After years of meditation, I've come to a place of struggling with my own identity. Does this come along with a change of awareness and perception? How can I find a place to rest in within myself while struggling to understand who I am and where I come from?

:clap:
    Be careful.
    It sounds like you are close to a breakthrough.
    What parts of your 'identity' rest outside of 'who am I', 'where do I arise from' etc.
    In other words what do 'you' have in common with 'not you', or empty of 'you', 'identity', sense of self etc . . .
    A something/nothing to identify . . . :wave:
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited October 2013
    Hi,

While challenging your identity I think is a good thing, asking yourself the questions "who am I" and "where do I come from" are questions that can lead to wrong ideas. That's because in the question there is the assumption of an I-identity already. The sense of identity should be investigated using the five aggregates, not questions such as this, as seen in the sutta below.

When meditating put these questions aside, they are not important for the moment. Try to find a place of peace in the body, breath and in the mind.
    Or else he is inwardly perplexed about the immediate present: 'Am I? Am I not? What am I? How am I? Where has this being come from? Where is it bound?'

"As he attends inappropriately in this way, one of six kinds of view arises in him: The view I have a self arises in him as true & established, or the view I have no self... or the view It is precisely by means of self that I perceive self... or the view It is precisely by means of self that I perceive not-self... or the view It is precisely by means of not-self that I perceive self arises in him as true & established, or else he has a view like this: This very self of mine — the knower that is sensitive here & there to the ripening of good & bad actions — is the self of mine that is constant, everlasting, eternal, not subject to change, and will stay just as it is for eternity. This is called a thicket of views, a wilderness of views, a contortion of views, a writhing of views, a fetter of views. Bound by a fetter of views, the uninstructed run-of-the-mill person is not freed from birth, aging, & death, from sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair. He is not freed, I tell you, from suffering & stress.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.002.than.html
    lobster
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    You practice long enough it's like you come full circle, but your much better for it.
    lobster
  • Sometimes awareness is foggy and some times crystal clear. It will always be that way I think just like genkaku said. So get interested in what is going on when you have the unclear question. Let it be.
  • How can I find a place to rest in within myself while struggling
    You can't.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Be at rest with not resting.
    lobster
  • Be at rest with not resting.
    Just so.
    This does not mean stop meditating. It means the flaws and impediments and the struggling are 'OK' - yes they are dukkha.

'Hi dukkha, hi samsara, hi struggling, hi wriggling impediments
    Thanks for sitting/being with us.'

Perfection is for giant, omniscient, fantasy Buddhas. Always good for a little projection from Disney World Dharma . . .

When you wish upon a star
    Makes no difference who you are
    Anything your heart desires
    Will come to you

If your heart is in your dream
    No request is too extreme
    When you wish upon a star
    As dreamers do

Fate is kind
    She brings to those who love
    The sweet fulfillment of
    Their secret longing