Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Simplifying Meditation

ChazChaz The Remarkable ChazAnywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

Comments

• BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    Bingo. It really is that simply. Not necessarily a quick fix, but it works for me!
  • What does the author mean by awakening?
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    betaboy said:

What does the author mean by awakening?

Good question, but one that I can't answer. I'm not the author.

If I'm allowed to speculate, I'd say awakening is a metaphor used as a polar opposite to sleeping or dreaming which is often used to teach our samasaric state - asleep, a dream.

So if all this is nothing but a dream-like state of being, what would being "awake" mean?

What do you think?

• what you mean sit and sit and sit and sit? Who was it that went on a retreat and they ended up in the mountains? It may be Leon I dunno. Anyway their monk guide simply took them to some mountain sitting and sat them down, they were all expecting talks and what not but he made them sit. Soon enough you get restless, you want to leave, however the guide is wise and directs you to staying. Soon enough you see it, you see the potential of meditation by simply sitting.
    (sorry Leon if this was not you).
  • He says meditation is not about any outcome, but he also adds that we do it in order to wake up. Wouldn't that - waking up - become a new goal or purpose?
  • You can't trick dukkha to get to sukkha. You have to sit with the dukkha and despite knowing it will eventually become sukkha you know it won't work until you fully accept dukkha with no tricks.
    riverflowlobster
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    betaboy said:

He says meditation is not about any outcome, but he also adds that we do it in order to wake up. Wouldn't that - waking up - become a new goal or purpose?

Yes, that's confusing.

One factor is that we don't really have an adequate vocabulary for this stuff. He is correct in saying that we meditate "in order to wake up". He is also correct about there being no real goal in our practice. So, we need to discern if in saying, "in order to wake up", is he talking about a "goal" or an "outcome". I tend to view the latter.

YMMD

riverflowJeffrey
  • It's not a goal because it is here already. We just let go of what is getting in the way and we find that we need not grasp something 'out there'. That is we already have tenderness towards self and others.
    riverflowChaz
  • Hello,
    it´s not ok, changing the instructions to meditate the 8fold path, that has been given to us by Gotamo Buddo. The least is in cutting it, is that you will not proceed enough.
    Make this life of your´s the last one on this planet.

sacco