Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Minimalism

What are your opinions ?

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    I love it and if I lived on my own I would be a minimalist for sure.

However, I share my house with a woman who loves op shopping and ebay. at least everything is second hand I guess!
    MaryAnneWisdom23
  • That sound familular lol
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    Everything i own can basically fit in my bedroom, except the car anyways lol. A few times a year i do a purge and throw/give stuff away.

I look forward to the day that everything i own can be carried in my hands.
    EvenThirdWisdom23
  • I don't even own my smile :)

. . . on the principal that form is emptiness and emptiness is form, I tend to fill my minimalism with stuff. . . :buck:
    Dennis1
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Minimialism in what sense?

Also, I think that, like everything, it's just a grey area.

Although I have a great affinity for Zen Buddhism, I find massive temples/churches/mosques/statues a very good reminder to practice humility. Even ornate religious objects have a certain appeal in that they are a testament to the faith of the artisans who made them. The simplicity of practice in Zen is great, but the minimalist aesthetic sometimes leaves the devotional part of my spiritual life wanting more (attachments abound).

Minimalist music can be great in its restraint and "cool" factor, but really grand, technical, layered pieces can be just as awesome. Similar to religious architecture, the "massiveness" of a piece of music can inspire feelings of humility and smallness - takes my ego down a notch.

Having very few personal possessions has many benefits, but sometimes doesn't leave much flexibility for unexpected situations.

Zelkova
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    I assumed he meant minimalism from a material perspective i.e. a home with perhaps just a few chairs, a handful of clothes and books? Correct me if I'm wrong @Wisdom23

Wisdom23
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    The minimalism that appeals to me arises from not identifying with either ones possessions
    or the lack of them.
    lobsterInvincible_summerMaryAnne
  • I had a dear friend who was a success, an astronomer and dean of science college at sdsu who was married. John was a minimalist and he was married etc. He walked to school-had a lovely car. Went few places, ate simply, lived very frugally. People went to him. We played Go. I loved him. I don't know how he managed to do it. I am married and love my wife and home and dogs. I am not at all a minimalist but I greatly admire
    the capacity and willingness. It is very Buddhist and I think it helps in reducing self cherishing. At least he taught me to live lightly on the earth. Best
    BunkslobsterWisdom23Niesje
  • Minimal.
    Wisdom23
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Wisdom23 said:

What are your opinions ?

"If in doubt, throw it out" :p
    BhikkhuJayasaraWisdom23
  • "A cluttered home is the sign of a cluttered mind"
  • "If your closets are holding hidden clutter and nonsense, it's more likely you also have some 'hidden issues'...."
    Wisdom23
  • "You can tell a lot about a person by observing how they treat - or mistreat - their personal space"
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    MaryAnne said:

"You can tell a lot about a person by observing how they treat - or mistreat - their personal space"

That's why when I was doing home visits as a social worker I always asked to use the toilet....
    :p
    MaryAnne