Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do you believe that your words can affect the shape of water crystals?

Do you believe that your words can affect the shape of water crystals?

http://www.whatthebleep.com/water-crystals/

Comments

• cvaluecvalue Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Why not? Our thoughts create vibrations. So if we think hard enough, we will be able to generate strong vibrations that could affect water or other people mind. That's why people think differently when they are in the crowde because they are influenced by the energy of the crowde. Charismatic people who can exert influence on others also have what people call "something about him/her". Same with good mood and bad mood can contaminate other people and why not water. Hitler's speeches are strong enough to kill millions of people. Strong word can affect the state of water too. It's the energy in us that stir water.
  • I have thought my way into many hells.

I think its a much subtler process than mere concepts.

This is where the notion of magic comes into play. Giving adequate energy, attention, intention, mentation, feeling tones, and eventual non dual union with the forms bridge the gap between the material and immaterial.

I mean that is the whole dharma in a nutshell. The transformation of a suffering sentient being into a Buddha. And we do this by believing and acting out causality.

Can a single idea effect perception? Definitely. One or two words come to mind. The "I and AM". This I AM is the single, bounding concept of vectorial ignorance that has manifested the six realms. And oddly enough it is the root cause of all suffering.

So I answered your question by not really answering your question. Because then it comes down to metaphysics and philosophy. And the materialists and immaterialists will argue on and on and on about what is real and not real.

For those who want to practice dharma then it has to be that thoughts influence perception. If not, then we should just give up.
    cvalueHamsaka
  • My thoughts are more than snow flakes or maybe just sleet . . .
    http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Masaru_Emoto
    vinlyn
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    It's possible I guess. That's not to say I think a water crystal has sentience but my gut tells me it is alive as much as a blade of grass.

I doubt a crystal or blade of grass can feel for themselves since there is no brain to distinguish but they could be like universal sensory organs.
  • Words are breath and breath is wind and wind applies force. Force continually directed can move things-like crystals. I never read anything the Buddha said that made me think he believed in magic. I hear stories about his magic effects-like flowers springing up in his footprints. But, that is not the Buddha speak. Gautama said Buddhism is the science of causes and conditions. Of course what we do effects the world. That is not magic, that is cause and effect. I think we lessen the Buddha's teachings when we project them into mystic realms. I wrote a poem about that. I call it Waka which means in the Buddha's footsteps. I am not trying to be authoritative and others may disagree.

Waka

I looked upon the water and the bread
    To Mara and her awe-full frown.
    I took the cream from soft Sugata's head
    And call upon Sthvara in her golden crown.

The earth is witness to me here
    My offering of each life's caprice
    As though a diadem of love appear
    And spread the joy of life's increase.

The Teacher's art is thus undone
    Where none but Agni dare embrace.
    Bedazzled by the enlightened one
    Where go the pristine one of face?

1995 Dennis Crane

I hope this helps, Best, Dennis