Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

XOXOXOXOX

howhow Veteran Veteran
Oh. some snarky bugger has asked me if it would be better for me to formally meditate
instead of bowing constantly before this Buddhist Cyclops. I had no answer but I thought I'd explore it.
Luv all

Comments

• Does Buddhist Cyclops shoot laser beams from his eyes? If so, it might be safe to keep bowing.
    sovaInvincible_summer
  • There was once a new monk, who was new to Buddhist study and meditation. One day after a class, he approached a senior monk and asked him, "Brother! A Boddhisattava has a thousand eyes, how many eyes are true?" The senior monk replied, "Only one is true." The new student doubted this and persisted by asking a further question, "Why is only one eye true, brother?" The answer he received was this: "The one true eye is the wisdom that is within each person. Let us consider the actions of a blind man and how he reaches out for this and that without seeing. In the morning, when your alarm clock rings, you switch it off without opening your eyes. Which eye are you and the blind man using?" The new monk answered without hesitation, "Yes, that must be the Eye of Wisdom, brother. I understand now that the Eye of Wisdom is the only one with true vision and this sees all that is about us in the here and now."
    I take it you are away for a while with Odin the one eyed and other snarky retreatants?
    Good will to all formalists xxxx
    sova
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    XOXOXOXOXO

Back at ya... :)
    sova
  • how said:

Oh. some snarky bugger has asked me if it would be better for me to formally meditate
    instead of bowing constantly before this Buddhist Cyclops.

So we should restrict Buddhist practice entirely to the cushion? (when I first began, I thought the same thing-- just let me meditate and do nothing else!)

Gassho deepens zazen. Zazen deepens gassho. There's the time for zazen, there's the time for gassho. No need for dotted lines.

After all, what is NOT an opportunity for practice?

David